Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 07:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Calling the bible largely mythical, yet thinking a god-thing created the universe(s), and disbelieving science, results in me considering you as confused.

That must be because you understand mythology as a false story. Science is very useful for practical life, but that's about it. I keep repeating what myth means to avoid confusion: Myth: an ancient story or set of stories, especially explaining the early history of a group of people or about natural events and facts. Here is a Finnish professor of folklore studies, I hope it helps YOUR confusion:
The events recounted in myths have true validity for a religious person. For this reason the use of the term myth in everyday language is from the scholarly point of view inexact (in ordinary language myth is often used expressly for something untrue, utopian, misguided, etc.).
Lauri Honko
People think of imaginations as having nothing to do with reality, that is until somebody makes it so. What would people 2000 years ago say if you told them man was going to create a machine to fly around the world? It would be as unbelievable as your understanding of myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
That must be because you understand mythology as a false story. Science is very useful for practical life, but that's about it. I keep repeating what myth means to avoid confusion: Myth: an ancient story or set of stories, especially explaining the early history of a group of people or about natural events and facts. Here is a Finnish professor of folklore studies, I hope it helps YOUR confusion:
The events recounted in myths have true validity for a religious person. For this reason the use of the term myth in everyday language is from the scholarly point of view inexact (in ordinary language myth is often used expressly for something untrue, utopian, misguided, etc.).
Lauri Honko
People think of imaginations as having nothing to do with reality, that is until somebody makes it so. What would people 2000 years ago say if you told them man was going to create a machine to fly around the world? It would be as unbelievable as your understanding of myths.
I am very far from confused.

You are welcome to your particular version of reality, however much it may differ.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Lauri Honko
no, I bet somebody thought "if birds can do it we can too". then everybody else around them said "your crazy". the difference is they said "look, see the bird ... thats why I say its possible.' they still said they were crazy.

some theist, and i don't know if your one, say "he died, rose, and flew away for our sins' take it on blind faith.

can you see the difference?

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.

I come here to chat with fellow atheists and the Pagans and a good handful of Christians that I'm very fond of.

If you stay within your own bubble, you never learn anything. It's good to have a rounded perspective on the world.
It's a good thing to see other sides of a story - you know?
It's also a good thing to open up other peoples horizons.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, I bet somebody thought "if birds can do it we can too". then everybody else around them said "your crazy". the difference is they said "look, see the bird ... thats why I say its possible.' they still said they were crazy.

some theist, and i don't know if your one, say "he died, rose, and flew away for our sins' take it on blind faith.

can you see the difference?

Maybe somebody would say that. For most people that lived 2000 years ago if somebody told them stories about airplanes and smartphones, they will call them 'myths' in the same sense the word is used today. Myth for people thousands of years ago was reality. You have as much right to say they are untrue as, they have to say that airplanes and smartphones cannot exist.

And I do believe in the resurrection, but not as churches explain it, which is probably the only version you have heard.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
I am not an atheist but I AM skeptical of religions. I am particularly skeptical of Jesus Christ as many here already know. I think skeptics have a lot to offer a religious discussion by raising inconvenient truths religions don't like to talk about, funny enough like Jesus Christ now that I mention it.

But it appears that after 10 years here in the Christian/Religion forums I have worn out my welcome so it's time for me to say goodbye and depart to find another religion forum to haunt under a different avatar. I've had a good time here, folks. I will say on balance the mods have been more than fair, especially to me--notwithstanding a few suspensions I didn't feel I deserved. But one gets indications they're not welcome and so I leave.

Skeptics, keep fighting the good fight against lies and obfuscations religion try to spread. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And no, I disagree that atheism is necessarily based on evidence and reason. It could just as easily be based on emotional reactions to events in one's life, the problem of evil argument, or other failures to think logically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, those would be irrational arguments for atheism. Fortunately I see no one making them.
Let's suppose for the sake of time that no one here has based their lack of belief in god on emotional reactions to events in their life or the problem of evil argument. My point was simply that atheism isn't necessarily a product of reasoning or thinking about evidence, contrary to Transponder's saying "Religion is based on Faith; atheism on validated evidence and reason."

And I also asked them to define "faith", which is an important term here as well.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Let's suppose for the sake of time that no one here has based their lack of belief in god on emotional reactions to events in their life or the problem of evil argument. My point was simply that atheism isn't necessarily a product of reasoning or thinking about evidence, contrary to Transponder's saying "Religion is based on Faith; atheism on validated evidence and reason."

And I also asked them to define "faith", which is an important term here as well.
You're punching above your weight. That doesn't usually end well.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You're punching above your weight. That doesn't usually end well.
Posturing?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Posturing?
I'm a writer. I choose my words carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality