Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They can attack me all they want. I just want them to admit that they are doing it.
Jeff, when you whine and snivel, you get called out for that. Just don't do it, and no one will bash you.

However, you have a habit of taking anything that is contrary to your faith as an attack on you.

Don't. No one is singling you out. We see the inanity that many fundamentalists exhibit, and that is what we are deriding. Not you personally. Please see the difference.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Pathetic.

It's supposed to be a private discussion.
I'm pretty sure this didn't involve you.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The problem is, and I know you've seen this, that there is a certain element of believers who insist their beliefs should not only be enshrined in law, but imposed on others, no matter what those others beliefs or non-beliefs are. That becomes a theocracy, and much of the resistance you see is to those who promulgate such a defacto theocracy.

it is not only the fact that they attempt to enshrine into the laws their beliefs, it is that they so indoctrinate their children that the result can be as I have outlined happened to my grandson, who had nightmares of hell because his fundamentalist friends told him he was going there, not because they were being cruel, but because they were taught that at their church by the youth pastor.

I object in the strongest way at that indoctrination. I truly see it as child abuse, scaring children into a belief system.

That is why so many of us are adamant. We have seen the damage particularly fundamentalism can do. Many have had to live that fundamentalism.
I get that. I believe I have explained on here enough times how my own religious upbringing damaged my brain at the age of 6 to the extent that at 60, I still live with the remnants of it.

My remarks were simply a protest against the statement that those of us who are not atheists but to whom our spiritual paths are kept personal need to establish evidence of our beliefs. No, we don't.

We are allies with atheists against the abuses of religion. If I don't care what you don't believe, you shouldn't care what I do.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Pathetic.

It's supposed to be a private discussion.
Says who? Jeff and I haven’t agreed on any ground rules, or restrictions of any type. Based on the original offer put out by Jeff, my understanding was that he wanted a DM conversation so that he would not get swamped by posters. I am willing to agree to this because I often have trouble keeping up with the volume of posts on some threads, so a more leisurely conversation seemed reasonable.

I feel no obligation to keep this private, nor has Jeff requested this.

Sorry Ozzy, but your partisanship is showing.

Last edited by fishbrains; 04-14-2019 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get that. I believe I have explained on here enough times how my own religious upbringing damaged my brain at the age of 6 to the extent that at 60, I still live with the remnants of it.

My remarks were simply a protest against the statement that those of us who are not atheists but to whom our spiritual paths are kept personal need to establish evidence of our beliefs. No, we don't.

We are allies with atheists against the abuses of religion. If I don't care what you don't believe, you shouldn't care what I do.
And I can live with that absolutely. It's the abuses that are the issues. I may be an atheist (I don't believe in any deities of any sort) but that doesn't mean I don't have a reverence for nature, our earth, our solar system and beyond. We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us. That is my spirituality, which many atheist wonder why I use that term.

Neil Tyson Degrasse said it best in this short video, and it best expresses my views.

https://youtu.be/kl0J6Le5MpM

Old 04-14-2019, 09:29 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Bottom Line: "God Belief" is still the standard, as it has been. And, Atheism, "The Concept of Nothing", is still a nothing concept, like it has been.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-god-divinity/

Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Jeff, when you whine and snivel, you get called out for that. Just don't do it, and no one will bash you.

However, you have a habit of taking anything that is contrary to your faith as an attack on you.

Don't. No one is singling you out. We see the inanity that many fundamentalists exhibit, and that is what we are deriding. Not you personally. Please see the difference.
Sorry but that is a pack of lies. My character is directly attacked outside of the thread topic. Stop trying to justify blatant nasty behavior.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Bottom Line: "God Belief" is still the standard, as it has been. And, Atheism, "The Concept of Nothing", is still a nothing concept, like it has been.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-god-divinity/
I always think it's good for us when the other side tells themselves it's all ok - nothing really happening. Makes it easier for us.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The reactions from every single Atheist rests in your hands, their reactions begin with a thought in your head, you post that thought, and they react. Atheists are not living with the same standards and limits that limit a Christian, if you say something unloving and you get an unloving answer, that is on you Jeff, you are to be an example of love and forgiveness above what normal people are. If you get slapped, dont slap back, somebody curses you, bless them, and if you can't agreement with everything, smile and be on your way and agree to disagree.
WHAT! You are asking Jeff to behave like a CHRISTIAN? Are you for real bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So if only one responds, the rest are too cowardly. If more than that respond we are ganging up?
LMAO! Ain't that the truth!

Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
And I can live with that absolutely. It's the abuses that are the issues. I may be an atheist (I don't believe in any deities of any sort) but that doesn't mean I don't have a reverence for nature, our earth, our solar system and beyond. We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us. That is my spirituality, which many atheist wonder why I use that term.

Neil Tyson Degrasse said it best in this short video, and it best expresses my views.

https://youtu.be/kl0J6Le5MpM
I wouldn't care what Tyson thought because I don't think he is a spiritual person in any sense. He says things that atheists obviously want to hear, but that should have no bearing in my opinion because he comes across so arrogantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality