Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Monotheism did not take power against freedom of Polytheism until 1,000 years ago.
A new Millenium can start at any minute.
Many...a few...or one ---- "God Belief" (Theism) has been "The Standard" for all that time.
As compared to Atheism...which has not been standard, but a rare exception to the belief in the existence of God(s).
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to switch-up.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I've never met an honest Christian. NEVER ONCE!
I've never met many friendly or honest people in general, whether they be religious or otherwise.
Usually, their state is either one or the other.

People aren't comfortable enough to be honest with strangers (except many of the ones that are not honest with themselves).

And strong acquaintances aren't comfortable enough with having to walk on their tiptoes and turning the other cheek for supposed friends or equals.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
NO. You can't do it and the good news for you is that capitalism has already accomplished it for you. If that's not good enough, the next step is to impose forms of communism that remove choices in the interest of freedom and liberty.
Capitalism is already about removing choices and curtailing liberty. It would be stupid for Plutocracy not to take over for their own interests (capitalism), and remove competition (anti-online public tax filing laws thanks to Tax-company lobbies, "under God" thanks to Catholic lobbies), and line up the consumers and workers under Iron-clad Rule.

Hence the anti-Union laws, monopolies and conglomerations, "too big to fail," mobile home schemes, etc.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's good you posted this on the R/S forum...it shows how open-minded you are... and that statement would have probably go unnoticed on the Athiest forum. And why shouldn't you judge the whole by whatever circles you've encountered? It certainly helps to save time and allows one to get back to whatever it is they are promoting.
Yet the poster you are criticizing is merely knee-jerk responding to Jeffbase (I think directly quoted by the poster you are criticizing) claims that he has never met any friendly atheists.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Afraid I am not following your argument here.

Are you saying that you can't objectively claim, with a VERY high degree of certainty and confidence, that the computer you are typing on right now does not exist? There is hard, tangible evidence right at your fingertips (literally and figuratively!), with which no one would argue. Surely that is a different kind of claim than one involving distant objects you have never seen or touched (the existence of Pluto, for example)... which is in turn different from the claim for a supernatural being for which there is no evidence?

All claims are not created equal.
Knowledge, and so-called "facts", are just our best info at the moment based on a probability curve.
Nothing can be "for sure"...because nothing is infallible.
You cannot even prove absolutely that all you perceive is even real, and not just a "Brain In A Vat" type scenario.
My perception of God is not "a supernatural being"....but I do perceive a God I believe does exist.
I don't acknowledge anything "supernatural". Natural things that are "super"...but not outside of Reality. Reality is all there is.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
According to the chart on the original post, it looks mainly like the “nones” are growing at the expense of mainline Protestants. I’m not sure that is much of a “win” for atheists and agnostics. Mainline Protestants aren’t all that religious to begin with. They also tend to have more liberal political views and also dislike fundamentalists.

A real win would be “nones” growing at the expense of fundamentalists. That doesn’t appear to be happening.
This is certainly the case, and it bears repeating.

The fundamentalists need extreme help. Perhaps door-to-door help (Russian atheist clubs).

They also need help getting taxed fairly for their "small bit" of money-collecting (once Chinese Buddhist policy).

Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Even after that mark, me down as someone who still doesn't get the reference to communism in this thread.
There was and is a lot of propaganda in the United States that communism is inherently anti-religious because only atheists would wish to help each other through a SECULAR centralized VOTED power. And for some reason, they think that only Atheists would seek to help the excessively rich "trickle down" their wealth appropriately.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Many...a few...or one ---- "God Belief" (Theism) has been "The Standard" for all that time.
So has reacting to a noise that was not a tiger after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
As compared to Atheism...which has not been standard, but a rare exception to the belief in the existence of God(s).
Rare? It has been mentioned in literature for over 2,500 years. And we do not know the percentage of atheists from those times, so your assertion lacks evidence.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Recognizing sarcasm may be a learned trait you should study a bit.
Don't you mean "verbal irony" rather than "sarcasm."

Sarcasm would entail that the responder to Jeffbase actually meant the opposite.

The verbal irony would be that Jeffbase is being "dishonest" by saying that all atheists he has interacted with (implying that would include in this forum) are unfriendly.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You want those, look yourself. That isn't the topic of this thread, so I will now bow out, and you can keep off topic if you like.

As for the topic at hand, the "nones" growing is certainly a good thing in the eyes of most non believers. We would much prefer someone who is "spiritual" or a "cultural Christian" than a fundie that is hellbent on shaping society using their preferred holy book.
The "spiritual" and "culturally Religious" will only give cover for the poisonous fungus of fundamentalism to grow to pandemic proportions in the shadows.

Do not provide cover for any of them, or seek to ignore them. Bring them all out into the Light of Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality