Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I have yet to meet a single true friendly atheist. NEVER ONCE!
I've never met an honest Christian. NEVER ONCE!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am simply cognizant of how this world actually is...regardless of how some wish it was or wasn't. "God Belief" is the standard. Has been...is now...and probably always will be.
For 1000s of years, people believed that the sun and other planets revolved around the earth. Now we know better.

For 1000s of years, people believed the earth was flat. Now we know better.

For 1000s of years, people believed that bloodletting to rebalance bodily humors was an effective treatment for most ailments. Now we know better.

For 1000s of years, people believed that mental illness was due to possession by demons. Now we know better.

For 1000s of years, people believed that thunder and lightning were weapons or signs of the gods. Now we know better.

At one point, all these things were seen as "how the world actually is." People can learn, thank goodness.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And that strippers and pole dancers are nothing more than cheap whores is the common perception which you know from your experience is not fact. So that you do not agree with argumentum ad populum in that case.
Yet you happily apply it to belief in god.
But, I am cognizant of the common perception.
The way the world works is that it is standard for most people to believe that strippers and pole dancers are cheap whores...and that God exists.
The issue in the OP is about "what people believe"...not whether what
they believe is actually true.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You are not simply 'cognisant' of that fact, you are simply determined to rub it in our faces. Well, we know what the situation is and we don't care. We will carry on and see whether we can't get the "Nones" not only more numerous, but more irreligious and more socially influential, regardless of how some people wish it wasn't happening.
NO. You can't do it and the good news for you is that capitalism has already accomplished it for you. If that's not good enough, the next step is to impose forms of communism that remove choices in the interest of freedom and liberty.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
NO. You can't do it and the good news for you is that capitalism has already accomplished it for you. If that's not good enough, the next step is to impose forms of communism that remove choices in the interest of freedom and liberty.
Fascism embraces both capitalism and lack of freedom and liberty. NOT sure why you even brought up communism an economic system that works well within Christian communities such as the Hutterite in Canada. Not sure if they still exist in the States as at one time their religious freedom was not acceptable there.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the opposite. Tyson sounds very spiritual to me.
Exactly. I don't think one has to anthropomorphize a deity to feel being as part of the whole. That's just special pleading.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LOL. Zap!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Fascism embraces both capitalism and lack of freedom and liberty. NOT sure why you even brought up communism an economic system that works well within Christian communities such as the Hutterite in Canada. Not sure if they still exist in the States as at one time their religious freedom was not acceptable there.
I brought up communism because it seems it is the only way some people will ever be happy, otherwise they will always be the victim of other's choices.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Honest christian?

They brag about being filthy sinners.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's good you posted this on the R/S forum...it shows how open-minded you are... and that statement would have probably go unnoticed on the Athiest forum. And why shouldn't you judge the whole by whatever circles you've encountered? It certainly helps to save time and allows one to get back to whatever it is they are promoting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality