Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I’m a proud “none”... Very surprised that Catholics are not leaving in droves.
The thought is that Catholics are leaving in droves, but they are being replaced via immigration. That data is not in the survey posted by the OP, it is merely something that I have read elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh so now you are going with I deserved it? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It is sad that ANY ABUSE is occurring. Why can't your side just respectfully disagree? No, you have to throw a hissy fit. I have yet to meet a single true friendly atheist. NEVER ONCE! I will continue to work to expose the ugliness and lies that come from camp including claiming that I am never personally attacked. That one really takes the cake.
Here. This may be a new experience for you then. I've met Hemet twice, and have had long discussions with him, even on issues him and I do not totally agree with. It's OK to disagree, that does not make you unfriendly.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/

Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I always think it's good for us when the other side tells themselves it's all ok - nothing really happening. Makes it easier for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Shorter Goldie, Goldie is ignorant of the science of cognitive bias and probability.
I am simply cognizant of how this world actually is...regardless of how some wish it was or wasn't.
"God Belief" is the standard. Has been...is now...and probably always will be.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM

16,782 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am simply cognizant of how this world actually is...regardless of how some wish it was or wasn't.
Exactly. Teleological thinking is standard whether the belief is true or not. The fact that most people want it to be true despite the different and contradictory god beliefs is why the less rational use the argument ad populum fallacy as if it proved anything.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And I can live with that absolutely. It's the abuses that are the issues. I may be an atheist (I don't believe in any deities of any sort) but that doesn't mean I don't have a reverence for nature, our earth, our solar system and beyond. We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us. That is my spirituality, which many atheist wonder why I use that term.

Neil Tyson Degrasse said it best in this short video, and it best expresses my views.

https://youtu.be/kl0J6Le5MpM
That was perfect. That connection, that one-ness with the universe, that to me is exactly what God is. Religions personify that connection and then add human characteristics to it.

I know what he means about looking at the stars and knowing we are part of one another.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wouldn't care what Tyson thought because I don't think he is a spiritual person in any sense. He says things that atheists obviously want to hear, but that should have no bearing in my opinion because he comes across so arrogantly.
I think the opposite. Tyson sounds very spiritual to me.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
And that strippers and pole dancers are nothing more than cheap whores is the common perception which you know from your experience is not fact. So that you do not agree with argumentum ad populum in that case.
Yet you happily apply it to belief in god.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
You are not simply 'cognisant' of that fact, you are simply determined to rub it in our faces. Well, we know what the situation is and we don't care. We will carry on and see whether we can't get the "Nones" not only more numerous, but more irreligious and more socially influential, regardless of how some people wish it wasn't happening.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wouldn't care what Tyson thought because I don't think he is a spiritual person in any sense. He says things that atheists obviously want to hear, but that should have no bearing in my opinion because he comes across so arrogantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the opposite. Tyson sounds very spiritual to me.
I agree. Tyson strikes me as deeply spiritual, and thoughtful about our place in the larger world.

It also strikes me that the term "arrogant" is routinely used (by Ozzy and Jeff, for example) to describe those with scientific training and insights, no matter how measured or thoughtful they are. Yet scientists aren't the ones saying "I believe what I want and you can't convince me otherwise, no matter how strong or clear your evidence is..."

Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I agree. Tyson strikes me as deeply spiritual, and thoughtful about our place in the larger world.

It also strikes me that the term "arrogant" is routinely used (by Ozzy and Jeff, for example) to describe those with scientific training and insights, no matter how measured or thoughtful they are. Yet scientists aren't the ones saying "I believe what I want and you can't convince me otherwise, no matter how strong or clear your evidence is..."
I fully agree with your post but I can't rep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality