Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yet nothing to refute my point, once again. If science is always self correcting, how can you put 100% faith in any claim? All you do is simplify a complicated issue while arrogantly implying that I'm stupid.

Then don't read it. You might win the record for faster poster to land on my block list.
We don't put faith in science. We trust that science provides the best models of reality. We do expect as new evidence and new minds are brought into play these models will be modified, stay the same and sometines abandoned. But all of this is fine because then it means that science models of reality are the best we have with the present evidence and minds. I do not want to live in a world that science, technology or society never changes.

You appear to need a static authorities set of rules or knowledge and seem bothered by the dynamic nature of science. Examples of science that has been greatly improved since Newton or Darwin's times are gravity and evolution. Folks lIke your might claim that the alterations of the's theories proves them wrong whereas those with scientific knowledge understand that the original ideas are still sound and improved not disproved.

And we don't take any one scientist as the authority and accept whatever he says as true. We do accept what science has established as best models of reality, knowing full well that they may be modified or even discarded in the future. Would you like to live in a world where only the ideas of 1950 were known and we stay there forever. Or 1850 with slavery, polio, TB and women were property?

Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 476,797 times
Quote:
Yet nothing to refute my point, once again.
I did refute your point. You said...

"Even when medical science tries to run such tests, the results are rarely conclusive. This is why one year, they will say eggs are bad for you, oh wait, we ran the exact same trials again and people started having heart attacks. So eggs are bad again."

... and I explained why that was wrong.

Quote:
If science is always self correcting, how can you put 100% faith in any claim?
You don't put "100% faith" in scientific findings. That is not the objective. You say "this is what we know at present based on available information, and it may need to be modified in the future as we move steadily closer to full understanding." Which may never be reached (100%), but that is the direction we should be heading. Our understanding of the positive and negative effects of eggs (to stay with your example) is better now than it was 30 years ago, which is better than it was 100 years ago, which is better than it was 1000 years ago, and so on.

Quote:
All you do is simplify a complicated issue while arrogantly implying that I'm stupid.
On the contrary, you seem to be wanting a complicated issue to be simplified ("eggs are either all good or all bad... which is it?"). You seem to want "conclusive" findings that will never change, and that isn't how it works. I regret any implication that you are stupid, but constantly replaying the same tired argument ("scientists can't even make up their minds about eggs") doesn't reveal a depth of understanding.

Quote:
Then don't read it. You might win the record for faster poster to land on my block list.
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
There already has been an independent scientific study of the efficacy of prayer. I posted it in #804.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...prayers-power/
Prayer works for even the non-religious, and this most certainly will go against the grain for religious fundamentalists.

Linky not worky. 404 error.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:55 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
About that prayer thing, and why there are more and more atheists, this reality check should help.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times
Quote:
Welcome to the club, Heela! Jeff can't stand when someone holds a mirror up to him, or makes him question anything. He isn't about that learning!

I mean, dude just said "Maybe God kills people with horrible cancer so they don't meet an atheist who makes them think!".... Just sad...

Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't a question of "telling him off". Atheists who have been christians have two perspectives on the topic. People who have only been either christians or only been atheists have a much more narrow perspective.

It's no different than when I was a parincipal. As a person who had taught in schools for 13 years AND been an administrator, I had two perspectives on many issues, while people who had only been teachers missed the whole perspective of managing a whole school; they had only managed one classroom.
Notice how you've had to repeatedly make mention of your profession and degrees of education on this message board in order to let others know you are an authority...your frustration is understandable.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Nothing more than pedestal posturing. I don't care if you have 100 degrees. I'll post whatever I think about science any way I please. If I'm wrong, prove it. But here is a fun game. You got a degree in science well prove it. Cuz personal testimony doesn't count, right? Oh a photo of your degree? How do I know it was not faked? Oh the president of the university endorses it? How do I know you didn't bribe him? Huh? See how far down the rabbit hold you can go trying to reason and demonstrate evidence to your ilk. It's maddening.

Oh so now we are back to claiming as fact that the Bible is a myth? Thanks for showing again how atheists can't even define atheism correctly. Do you really think lack of evidence proves anything?

The Bible teaches scientific principles thousands of years before man could figure it out. Like how to prevent the spread of bacteria. Sad that you have to resort to ugly insults like babble. Typical atheist garbage speak.

Well I know God is real because I have a personal experience with Him so you are going to need a mountain of evidence to convince me that there is another truth out there. Atheists have none.
Make no mistake, Jeff, I doubt that any of us have any hope that you're going to come around to realism. Most of us post out of principle and for others who may read our posts.

And Jeff, just so you know...that long post of yours...it's not exactly a masterpiece. Today I had some business to attend to at a local "store". I was observing an exceptionally nice young man who was helping the customer/client ahead of me. I couldn't help but think that he was one of the nicest people I'd ever seen. Toward the end of helping them, three times he told the people, "God bless you". I actually thought what a refreshing positive christian he was...as compared to a few of the christians on this forum. To me you appear to be an angry frustrated man, and that's not what I expect to see from those who understand the overall message of Jesus in the New Testament.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
...snip... To me you appear to be an angry frustrated man, and that's not what I expect to see from those who understand the overall message of Jesus in the New Testament.
jeff is indeed angry and frustrated. Atheists, agnostics, and at least one animist are always brandishing reality at him.

It hurts him, like sunshine to a vampire.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Welcome to the club, Heela! Jeff can't stand when someone holds a mirror up to him, or makes him question anything. He isn't about that learning!

I mean, dude just said "Maybe God kills people with horrible cancer so they don't meet an atheist who makes them think!".... Just sad...
Our vanished "atheist" pal Vic would agree with you. No matter how bad it is, it's all part of God's plan and so, therefore "Good".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, I can. Because I realize that everyone experiences random chance; both people who pray and people who do not pray.

There is an old yarn about an aspiring stock broker choosing a stock, contacting 1,000 prospective customers at random, then telling half of them the stock will go up next week and half that it will go down. The next week, he contacts the 500 who received the correct "prediction" and repeats. The third week, he contacts the 250 who received the correct "prediction" and repeats again. By the time he gets down to 30 people, those 30 people are convinced he really knows what he is doing. And it does seem that way, but really it is just random chance.

Similarly, this is what your "proof" amounts to. But please do pray for the end of world hunger; that will not happen by random chance.

I see Jeff is resorting to dubious old videos as 'evidence' again.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:45 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
Make no mistake, Jeff, I doubt that any of us have any hope that you're going to come around to realism. Most of us post out of principle and for others who may read our posts.

And Jeff, just so you know...that long post of yours...it's not exactly a masterpiece. Today I had some business to attend to at a local "store". I was observing an exceptionally nice young man who was helping the customer/client ahead of me. I couldn't help but think that he was one of the nicest people I'd ever seen. Toward the end of helping them, three times he told the people, "God bless you". I actually thought what a refreshing positive christian he was...as compared to a few of the christians on this forum. To me you appear to be an angry frustrated man, and that's not what I expect to see from those who understand the overall message of Jesus in the New Testament.

Yes, I'll admit people on here do anger me because I can't stand arrogant pompous rude behavior or ego stroking and people who look down on others. Jesus was also angry at people like that and chased them out of the temple. He wasn't a pushover by any means. You come here talking lies and trash about my faith then expect me to fight back.

And it is the epitome of arrogance to sit here and judge my character when you don't know jack about me or my experiences. Take that garbage elsewhere.

Well all else fails and it quickly does with atheists, you just resort to ad hominem attacks, something that should never be in the tool belt of a well educated man. If you respond one more time attacking me personally and directly, you will be permanently blocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.