Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
We have one life to live. I live mine in the best way and to the fullest I can. When I become worm food, I will be giving back, feeding plants which may feed other animals, and perhaps eventually feed another living human being. How cool is that? No magic crackers needed even!

But back on topic, the good news that even in the bible belt I live in, the evangelical group can not get enough together for a bible study. One can rejoice! The subjugation and propaganda efforts stopped due to lack of interest.

I couldn't be happier. Perhaps my discussions with my neighbors are working.

I don't find people abandoning the faith and taking the road that leads to eternal death to be anything to rejoice about. There is no hope in atheism. Absolutely none. Your happiness in this life could be snatched away in an instant.

But at any rate, your post proves nothing. My evidence showed that evangelical base has not been dropping. Church parking lots are still full.

https://factsandtrends.net/2018/03/2...-evangelicals/

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-11-2019 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Removed extra quotee tag

Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
I don't find people abandoning the faith and taking the road that leads to eternal death to be anything to rejoice about. There is no hope in atheism. Absolutely none. Your happiness in this life could be snatched away in an instant.

But at any rate, your post proves nothing. My evidence showed that evangelical base has not been dropping. Church parking lots are still full.

How is declining from 30% to 22% not a decrease? It's a decrease of over 20% or 8 percentage points. The link you just provided uses the same graph and numbers. But they claim that evangelicals are not declining because mainstream is decreasing at a faster rate. So the evidence you provided did not actually back your claim. How is a drop of a couple to up to 8 percentage points not a drop?

And no one has claimed that the numbers for your religion are dropping fast however each and every link given in this thread as showed that religion is decreasing and the nones are increasing.

And more of your attacking atheists for no other reason than you cannot comprehend the notion of not wishing that when you die that you spend your life sitting next to Jesus. Even if there is an afterlife you have no proof that it is run by your God or religion or the entry requirements are what you think they are. You might be wasting your life by not been Muslim or Mormon or Hindu.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-11-2019 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Removed extra quote tag

Old 04-11-2019, 12:37 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

So, Jeff, explain something to us. Maybe I'm a bit slow.

How does going from 30% to 22% for evangelicals equal an increase? Even new math could not get you there. How????

Old 04-11-2019, 12:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Nothing more than pedestal posturing. I don't care if you have 100 degrees. I'll post whatever I think about science any way I please. If I'm wrong, prove it.
Yeah, this is the standard arrogance of religious fundamentalism. Let's dismiss all the modern experts of the field in favor of whatever primitive notions a gaggle of ancient goatherders from the Bronze Age happened to possess. Not because there is anything wrong with the science of modern experts but because the modern science contradicts the sacred fables.

This country is circling the drain because of this nonsense - I mean, all one has to do is look at the sudden resurgence of flat earth believers. Despite the enormous body of evidence for a spherical earth, these morons want to drag this nation back 3,000 years in terms of scientific knowledge. Couple that with denying evolution, denying the Big Bang, denying climate change, an overall distrust of science based on the perceived primacy of superstition, and a plethora of poisonous conspiracy theories - I dunno. It just makes a person want to give up. The idiotocracy wins.

Quote:
But here is a fun game. You got a degree in science well prove it.
Why? Why should he prove it? In fact, why should anyone be beholden to prove anything at all to you? No amount of proof is good enough. There is no way that you'll ever admit to being wrong.

Perhaps if there was a chance of getting you to admit that you were mistaken, it would be worth the effort. But it isn't.

After all, the entire reason why you think it is such a "fun game" is because you most likely have this plan to find even the slightest error in his proof and use that as a carte blanche denial of his expertise, knowledge, and college degrees. Otherwise you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Trouble is, apologists like yourself do not want to debate anyone with actual scientific credentials because the apologists know they'll get crushed; the idea here is to de-legitimize the scientist, to discredit him, to bring him down to the level of religion and faith.

Quote:
Cuz personal testimony doesn't count, right?
Why should it? Whether you had an experience or not, you cannot prove it to another person. Therefore it is useless as evidence. Do you take everyone at their word? No matter how crazy their experience was? Like, for example, alien abductions? Seeing Bigfoot? Having fairies living in their garden? Seeing a ghost train in a ghost tunnel? Talking to Uncle Buck via a ouija board? Well, to us, religious experiences are just as open to skepticism as any of these other personal encounters. Just because it pertains to religion does't give a person a free pass to be taken at face value.

Quote:
Oh a photo of your degree? How do I know it was not faked? Oh the president of the university endorses it? How do I know you didn't bribe him? Huh? See how far down the rabbit hold you can go trying to reason and demonstrate evidence to your ilk. It's maddening.
Apologists and fundamentalists are masters at projecting - which is what you're doing right now. If a scientist posted his diplomas as well as his drivers' license, social security card, and a dozen affidavits from his professors, chairman of the science department, the dean of the school, the president of the school, and a number of classmates - not only would you say exactly what you just said about "how do I know this isn't faked" you would also dismiss anything scientific that he said even if the science was air tight and rock solid - using your doubt about his credentials as an excuse to ignore every word he said.

Quote:
Oh so now we are back to claiming as fact that the Bible is a myth? Thanks for showing again how atheists can't even define atheism correctly. Do you really think lack of evidence proves anything?
No.

YOU are the one defining atheism incorrectly. Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone thinks a book is true. That would be called abookism or abiblism or some other ridiculous term.

In addition, an atheist can say he believes that some gods are definitely not true - like Yahweh. As an atheist, I say the same thing: That your Bronze Age palistinian wargod Yahweh does not exist. What atheism says is that there is no good evidence that A god exists - any kind of god. So while we can conclusively discount YOUR god as fiction, that doesn't mean we discount every god as fiction. There still may be a god out there somewhere, one that is truly unknowable and doesn't have huge hang-ups about sex and gender issues. But Yahweh ... no. That character is a work of fiction.

Atheists aren't required to believe that *every* religious claim *might* be true. I know apologists and fundamentalists have a massively difficult time with nuanced thinking and being able to categorize things in layers. Rather, everything is black and white to them, everything is, well, everything or nothing, everyone or noone, always or never, pass or fail, you're with us or against us. It sure would be nice to see more complex thought once in awhile. But I always did have too high expectations ...

Quote:
The Bible teaches scientific principles thousands of years before man could figure it out. Like how to prevent the spread of bacteria. Sad that you have to resort to ugly insults like babble. Typical atheist garbage speak.
No it did NOT ... and speaking of garbage, why anyone should trust anything you say is beyond all comprehension. The Bible had absolutely no advanced wisdom and said NOTHING about the spread of bacteria. Are you referring to a passage in the OT that said to wash ones hands? So what - everyone knew that washing removes dirt and grime. Why do you think the Muslims have the ritual of washing ones hands and feet before entering a Mosque? It is to wash away the impurities.

And if this passage about hand-washing was meant as a scientific message about spreading bacteria, then why did Jesus reverse this information in the New Testament and protest washing hands as some kind of snub against the Pharisees? Hmm? I mean, if hand-washing was meant as some kind of protection from catching a disease, why on earth would Jesus - who also believed diseases were caused by demons, not germs and bacteria - tell everyone to risk getting a disease just to "stick it" to those evil ol' Pharisees?

Or do you mean other scientific information - like how splashing the blood of turtle doves around will cure leprosy? Or maybe you refer to how a pregnant goat who stares at a striped piece of wood will give birth to striped goats? Or perhaps you mean how spiders are insects ... or that bats are birds ... or that whales are fish? Maybe you mean how drinking the ink of a written curse mixed in with the dirt on the floor will cause an abortion? Or maybe it's how the earth sits on four pillars? Maybe that's the scientific revelation we're supposed to get from the Bible.

I could keep going - but I'll just suggest to you: Actually read the Bible you're trying to defend and stop taking the word of professional apologists who inundate you with lies.

Quote:
Well I know God is real because I have a personal experience with Him so you are going to need a mountain of evidence to convince me that there is another truth out there. Atheists have none.
That's completely untrue, as well.

My kingdom for some honesty!

See, the honest thing to say is: "Atheists have no evidence that I'm willing to accept. I have had a personal experience, therefore, no amount of evidence - zero - will ever be enough to convince me that Yahweh doesn't exist."

In other words, your mind is as closed as a steel bear trap. Atheists actually *do* have mountains of evidence. But your claim is that we have absolutely no evidence. There goes that binary thinking again, that inability to classify and compartmentalize information into various levels. Instead, you're back to the "all or nothing" mentality. Either atheists have mountains of evidence or they have none at all - and if they had mountains of evidence, I'd be an atheist right now! (At least, that's what you're saying whether you realize it or not.)

In addition, there is not "another" truth out there.

There is only one truth. And despite the mountains of evidence we've laid at your feet, as you said, no amount of evidence will ever convince you. Which is entirely different than the atheist position which says that, should you come up with some good evidence, we would abandon atheism straight away and become believers.

See the difference? Atheists are far more honest in our position than you are - because we're willing to change our minds. Unfortunately for you, the Bible and anecdotal experiences are not good evidence. My father said he had an experience just like you - and he claims to this day that it was Jesus. But when I asked him how he knew it was Jesus, his response was, "Well, who else could it have been?"

In other words, he didn't know it was Jesus. He just assumed it was because he lacked both the imagination and knowledge to consider perhaps it was a different god, a different prophet - or perhaps it wasn't a god or prophet at all. No, it HAD to be Jesus because that was the myth he grew up with.

Why should I take something like that as evidence that Yahweh exists? Because someone had an anomalous experience that even he doesn't understand or know for certain who or what it was? If my father doesn't know what it was and he was the one who had the experience, why should I just assume it was Jesus when I didn't even see or feel whatever it was he was talking about?

That's why personal experiences count for very little - if anything - when it comes to evidence. My father gave a textbook example of the "argument from ignorance" fallacy. He didn't know what else it could've been, so it must've been Jesus! Yet, if he had been born in Saudi Arabia, he'd be going on about Allah. If he had been born in India, he'd be blabbing about Lord Brahma - etc. etc.

YOU are the one coming up short on evidence - again and again and again. You've closed your mind to any other possibilities including the very likely possibility that you're just plain wrong.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
And what is your good news exactly?
Why do you not tell us the arguments against atheism that you have not actually thought about?

Quote:
You live,
Yes. Living is often good. Unless you are born in the wrong part of the world, but then that must be a part of your god's plan, yes?

Quote:
consume resources,
Yes, and some of those resources taste nice as well. But so do you, so I do not see why you see this as a negative for atheism.

Quote:
hope that one of a thousands of things that can go wrong instantly and destroy any semblance of happiness immediately doesn't happen on a daily basis?
Actually I do not. It is true I have insurance, but I rarely think about them. But again, you also have this problem. Using this to attack atheism again makes no sense.

Quote:
Oh and then you die and become worm food. Yeah great news there.
You believe that you may be tortured for all eternity.

I think we win on points on that argument.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:

How does going from 30% to 22% for evangelicals equal an increase? Even new math could not get you there. How????
More garbage, Normstad.

I've already disproven this claim. The 30% peak was one year where the Catholics switched, but then they went back. That's not a trend, but you don't care about facts.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:49 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
More garbage, Normstad.
Not according to the graph in post 1.

Quote:
I've already disproven this claim. The 30% peak was one year where the Catholics switched, but then they went back.
This may be true for one year, or it may be just another assertion of yours. But when you look from 1993, Normstad is correct. Even if you look from 1985, you STILL get a decrease over 34 years.

Quote:
That's not a trend, but you don't care about facts.
The facts are in the graph you are ignoring, so it is hypocritical of you to say it is someone else who does not care about facts.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Not according to the graph in post 1.

This may be true for one year, or it may be just another assertion of yours. But when you look from 1993, Normstad is correct. Even if you look from 1985, you STILL get a decrease over 34 years.

The facts are in the graph you are ignoring, so it is hypocritical of you to say it is someone else who does not care about facts.
There's no excuse to say 30% and you are now defending that.

The main R&S forum is proof that that atheism is false. You guys have argued and debated yourselves in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. You are now desperate and scavenging for Christians anywhere you can find them.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:44 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:

Come on.

Xians have issues with math. They think Friday to Sunday equals 3 days

Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
There's no excuse to say 30% and you are now defending that.

The main R&S forum is proof that that atheism is false. You guys have argued and debated yourselves in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. You are now desperate and scavenging for Christians anywhere you can find them.

That's a bizarre statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality