Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And what is your good news exactly? You live, consume resources, hope that one of a thousands of things that can go wrong instantly and destroy any semblance of happiness immediately doesn't happen on a daily basis? Oh and then you die and become worm food. Yeah great news there.
That is greater than being a non-hungry zombie vampire (vampires regenerate) for eternity by my judgment.
And better than being dust or a worm. That is just my judgment though. It might be that a worm or even dust is experiencing happiness to such high levels that I could never even imagine. Unlikely, especially for the dust.

But being thankful for what one has is rather fulfilling, even if it is not as simple-mindedly uplifting as imagining future rewards.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
You atheists think it's just WONDERFUL the idea of atheism taking over, and the world will be a much better place right? In reality it's more the scene in The Shining where Jack Nicholson is sitting on the bed with his son and tells him, "I would never do anything to hurt you Danny", while Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is playing in the background.

Unfortunately I'm not kidding. I wish I was. That's exactly what this deluded idea is like.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:35 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You atheists think it's just WONDERFUL the idea of atheism taking over, and the world will be a much better place right? In reality it's more the scene in The Shining where Jack Nicholson is sitting on the bed with his son and tells him, "I would never do anything to hurt you Danny", while Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is playing in the background.

Unfortunately I'm not kidding. I wish I was. That's exactly what this deluded idea is like.
You have your tinfoil hat on, Ozzy? Cuz this is full on crazy.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jeff, the ONLY trendline that is going up is the "nones", of which at least 1/3 are atheists/agnostics. The only flatline group is Jewish (no surprise) and somewhat surprisingly, to me at least, is Black Protestant, although even they have a slight downward trend.

Repeat. Only the "nones" are increasing. Irrefutably.
Something else is increasing too.

Quote:

More Americans of all stripes are committing suicide every year, and the trend shows no signs of slowing down.
Data released from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in June revealed that between 2000 and 2016, the suicide rate rose by 30% across the US.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-s...ce-2000-2018-6

Yea yea, I already know you'll find some way to deny cold hard facts from the CDC.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:

Yea yea, I already know you'll find some way to deny cold hard facts from the CDC.
Not refuting this at all. But it takes a huge leap to suggest that it has anything to do with the decline of religion. Maybe it is more related to the decline of the orange crop in Florida? Or the rise of sea levels? Hey, I know, maybe Brexit is the cause!

Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:

And we've already seen what happens in history when atheists get power and become leaders. Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot. Rivers of blood. Might as well start digging those mass graves if atheists are going to take over. Because if we adopt a society that rules completely under logic and reason, how long would it be before people who can't contribute to society like the weak and elderly are eliminated by law? Because that's the logical thing to do especially if you have limited resources. The world needs empathy and love. That's how you built a better world.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:

No one is disputing the numbers, Jeffery. They are disputing your ignorant comments that atheism is somehow to blame. But please, do tell us how the US (which is majority Christian) has such a high rate due to atheism or shrinking belief? We'll wait.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Not refuting this at all. But it takes a huge leap to suggest that it has anything to do with the decline of religion. Maybe it is more related to the decline of the orange crop in Florida? Or the rise of sea levels? Hey, I know, maybe Brexit is the cause!
And it's also a huge leap to suggest that atheism is going to rise by leaps and bounds just because one study shows more people check marking "none" on a survey.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:

Any evidence for your claim that a world without a predominance of religion running the society would be like the Shinning? I am speaking about a free and democratic advanced country. Probably Japan and the Czech Republic would be the best exsmples. The Scandinavian countries sort of two.

No you have accusations with neither backing or even a description. Do you really hate the thought of people not believing in a supernatural existing or are you simply in need of attention. If you need movies for ideas who you rather be the poor woman who was raped and then burnt alive as a her it ic in The Name of The Rose ? Great book and movie, not such great of a time for those with little power in the Church.

It is your mind that is deluded as you cannot even explain what we would like and what it would be like.

For all you theists out there, how do you defend accusations that atheism having a much larger presence would be like living in a Stephen King book or movie?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
And we've already seen what happens in history when atheists get power and become leaders. Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot. Rivers of blood. Might as well start digging those mass graves if atheists are going to take over.
Hey, Ozzy! You have another tin foil hat wearer here! And to Jeff, who likely won't see this, these things have been explained to you before. Not that we expected you to learn, but still...

Quote:
Because if we adopt a society that rules completely under logic and reason, how long would it be before people who can't contribute to society like the weak and elderly are eliminated by law? Because that's the logical thing to do especially if you have limited resources.
Yes, how DARE we expect people to exhibit logic and reason! We should stick with primitive beliefs and ignorance!

Quote:
The world needs empathy and love. That's how you built a better world.
So when are you going to start showing some Jeff-fa-fa?* You certainly show no empathy or love towards anyone that I have seen, at least outside of your very small little bubble. Where is your empathy for gay people? Atheists? Muslims?

Your hypocrisy knows absolutely no bounds.

*Sorry, just watched a Jeff Dunham special... Some of you will get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality