Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Did you read the actual study? Well, did you?
Yes. Why do you ask?

Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm pretty much Religious Freedom. Leave people alone to believe or not believe as they choose.
But you guys force it down everyone’s throats by getting it into the gov.

But you know that, right BFun?

Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And it's also a huge leap to suggest that atheism is going to rise by leaps and bounds just because one study shows more people check marking "none" on a survey.
It isn't just one study. Surveys like this one have been conducted nationwide for decides and decades by RPPI and Pew Research and they all show that most Christian religions are in decline and that Nones are continuously increasing. None of these surveys have suggested that atheism is growing by leaps and bounds (I don't know where you got that idea.). What they show, survey after survey, year after year, is Christianity continuously declines in the US, while non-religion slowly grows, little by little.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Jeffspeak for 'I can't tell you what the article said because I haven't read it.'
It appears to be a habit of his I've noticed.

He's a headline scanner, and rarely responds to what the details are. How often has he posted a link which said exactly the opposite of what he thought it did?

Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Yes. Why do you ask?
I then wonder if you understood it. What source did it use for it's graphs?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:15 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
The clock isn't ticking for me. Eternal life doesn't have an expiration date. The best you can hope for is that God will permanently destroy you body and soul in the final judgement.

So now you are back to claiming as fact that my faith is fiction?
Although not directed to me, I will continue my pledge in answering you honestly.

I do not know for a fact that your belief is fictional, however you have not provided any credible evidence in support of your claims, and I see many problems with your claims. Therefore I believe with a high level of confidence that your religion is fictional.

I know you believe that your faith is factual, I am not claiming that you are following a religion that you know to be false. I simply think that you are mistaken.

Quote:
Is it any wonder that we can't get a clear picture what about atheist beliefs in non-belief?
I didn’t realize that you were unclear as to what atheist beliefs entail. I cannot speak definitively for all, but in general, atheists do not believe in any god(s) because we are not convinced that they exist.

I hope that helps clarify things.

Quote:
Reality is that the vast minority has not established or proven that our beliefs are fictions.
True. That would be impossible. However, you have not proven that your beliefs are factual either. We seem to be at a bit of an impasse.

Quote:
All you've done is stacked a deck of auto reject shut down arguments to any kind of evidence. It would be impossible to prove ANYTHING with those kind of extreme filters.
I don’t think that is fair. I accept the existence of gravity, electricity and light. I accept the efficacy of antibiotics and vaccines. I accept the existence of the United States and other countries. All of these things have sufficient evidence to prove their existence.

Quote:
The fact that atheists feel the need to daily assault us only proves Christianity even more.
I don’t see how that follows, but it is unimportant.

Quote:
And then turn around and tell me how they live such a fulfilling life.
My life is pretty good. What are the elements of a fulfilling life? I will venture a guess that I meet most of them.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
The clock isn't ticking for me. Eternal life doesn't have an expiration date. The best you can hope for is that God will permanently destroy you body and soul in the final judgement.

So now you are back to claiming as fact that my faith is fiction? Is it any wonder that we can't get a clear picture what about atheist beliefs in non-belief? Reality is that the vast minority has not established or proven that our beliefs are fictions. All you've done is stacked a deck of auto reject shut down arguments to any kind of evidence. It would be impossible to prove ANYTHING with those kind of extreme filters.

The fact that atheists feel the need to daily assault us only proves Christianity even more. And then turn around and tell me how they live such a fulfilling life.
1. You have no conclusive evidence of what happens in the afterlife...nor any evidence that there is an afterlife. You simply have your faith that such things happen that way. As I havde said before, there's nothing wrong with faith...providing the faithful understand that faith is NOT fact.

2. I don't know what it is that is so unclear to you regarding what we atheists believe. What believe is that we don't believe in "God" or "gods". Most of us don't say that's the fact. We simply see no reasonably convincing evidence. A child of ten -- literally -- ought to at least be able to understand that much. It's not rocket science...oh wait...you don't you believe in science.

3. You can take that auto-reject concept and stuff it. I started having my doubts around 1985, and wrestled with those doubts for over 30 years before coming to a conclusion. That is not "auto-reject". And even thought I have come to a conclusion about my belief that there is probably no god -- or at least not the god of the bible -- if convincing evidence came to light today, I could still be convince. But you have provided no such evidence. You just rant and rave as the perpetual victim.

4. There are no "extreme filters". It's really as simple as "show me" hard evidence. Not signs. Nlt faith. Hard evidence. You never have, you can't, you never will. Somebody might, but it won't be you or Ozzy. You are probably the worst spokesmen for christianity that I've ever witnessed. At least on this forum, you do more harm for your religion that good. I'm not saying that to mean...I'm telling you that if these are the best representatives of christianity, then I want no part of it. The other day I met a very good representative of your faith...and have met many more in the past. None of them behaved like you.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
And we've already seen what happens in history when atheists get power and become leaders. Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot. Rivers of blood.
And religious people as well. We just had the larger numbers. So really you have a problem with men.

Quote:
Might as well start digging those mass graves if atheists are going to take over. Because if we adopt a society that rules completely under logic and reason, how long would it be before people who can't contribute to society like the weak and elderly are eliminated by law?
The weak can contribute, and the elderly have contributed. Your straw man leads to rampant capitalism. Whereas we have a history of religion dividing.

Quote:
Because that's the logical thing to do especially if you have limited resources.
Mmmh, Jeff logic.

Quote:
The world needs empathy and love. That's how you built a better world.
True. But you do not need religion for that.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
It's crazy to think any of those things are because of religion.

Crazy.
I was speaking about the affected ts of fundamentalist religious people.not religion. Yourself yout have cimparted atheists and fundamentalistas eQualls bad bUT now yout aRe saYing that fundamentalistscan do no wrong. Or do your juse lIke to twit whate very an atheist has saI'd in order to argue wit them.

Please respond to what I actually post rather than make up something all together different so you have something to argue.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
You atheists think it's just WONDERFUL the idea of atheism taking over, and the world will be a much better place right? In reality it's more the scene in The Shining where Jack Nicholson is sitting on the bed with his son and tells him, "I would never do anything to hurt you Danny", while Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is playing in the background.

Unfortunately I'm not kidding. I wish I was. That's exactly what this deluded idea is like.
I see we have been "blessed" with yet another nonsensical post. I think I might start counting them.

One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality