Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 09:57 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Silly rabbit. That isn't reasoning at all. It's the mindless circular thinking of an adolescent mind.
Salty, could you please stop with the insults. They do not advance the conversation. What they do is lead to 10+ posts about insults and derail the thread. You can say what you think and say exactly the same thing without insulting people.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'll be honest. I never understand conversations that include the word 'reality'.

Reality just means everything that exists as opposed to things that don't exist.

I mean what else is there? There is nothing else, so why say 'our reality' as if there was some other reality?

I do not believe in multiverses personally, I think it's pile of nonsense.
Even is there are other universes, so what? We can never see them or prove they exist so essentially it's a meaningless hypothesis.
I feel the same way about the words natural and supernatural as people use them today. There is only natural ... nothing is not natural. What ever we are calling god is natural.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I feel the same way about the words natural and supernatural as people use them today. There is only natural ... nothing is not natural. What ever we are calling god is natural.
I agree! There's no such thing as supernatural!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:05 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Salty, could you please stop with the insults. They do not advance the conversation. What they do is lead to 10+ posts about insults and derail the thread. You can say what you think and say exactly the same thing without insulting people.
Thanks!
Well, since you said please. But I will say, he deserves it in spades with his high-handed condescending "slow-learner-type" insults.

But ok, I'll back off just for you.. If he starts back, all bets are off.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Well, since you said please. But I will say, he deserves it in spades with his high-handed condescending "slow-learner-type" insults.

But ok, I'll back off just for you.. If he starts back, all bets are off.
Thank you.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:28 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
That's always my argument when the 'god is good' argument of Christianity is presented.

However 'most' pantheists believe in a non-interventionist god, which is not the same as the Christian god. They believe in a god that created everything and IS everything, but doesn't intervene in the day to day events so to speak.
What's the point in an non interventionist god you might ask? I have no idea but as I've said before as beliefs go, it's not a bad one. It's not that dissimilar to believing in no god and believing everything just came about as a result of physics as I do.

I say 'most pantheists'.
What people actually believe seems to be as varied as stars in the sky.

Some pantheists believe in a god that encompasses both pantheism AND a Christian god. I believe Mystic and Gldn are two such people. If you ask them nicely and politely they might explain it to you. I haven't got to the bottom of how they square this but if I hang around for long enough maybe I will understand. They are both amenable as long as you don't take the Mickey out of their beliefs.

There's also panentheism which from what I understand posits that while god is everything, it is also more powerful than just being a god, it also intervenes (I think). I'm not quite clear on this either.

I think I have pantheism nailed so far. The rest of it I'm unclear on.
Fair assessment about how pantheism can ultimately be described in the end...

The part that is a true stumbling block for me is right out of the starting block. That "leap" going from everything that exists to the existence of a God. As if all that exists in and of itself is proof of a god. Any kind of God. With all due respect to the definitions in the dictionary, that sort of logic is so badly lacking, it's difficult to see how anyone can "connect those dots" that way, reasonably and objectively speaking.

To put it another way, if one should choose to believe in such a god, getting comfortable with the pantheist god is a lot easier than getting comfortable with the pantheist rationale that concludes such a god exists.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:31 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Silly rabbit. That isn't reasoning at all. It's the mindless circular thinking of an adolescent mind.
This ^^^ is the perfect example of what I have been saying.
I put up a totally polite post about my Beliefs, and the reasoning behind my holding them.
Of course...instead of just disagreeing and giving the logical basis why you disagree, you go right to the only thing you know and always do...disrespectful, wiseguy insults & mocking.
Why do you do that? What's up with that?
And then, when I call it out...you claim I am being "personally abusive" and cry to the Mods and other Forum members.
THAT is what's "adolescent"...like a child on the playground that is told to quit throwing rocks at his classmates, and he gets upset because that is what he wants to do.

Words/terms/locutions are defined, and their meanings are determined by the traits, attributes, and characteristics of what that word or term represents.
One of the main attributes/characteristics a "God" is known by, is that it is "The Creator" (of everything). That is known, and a given.
I note that trait/characteristic is uniquely held by "Reality"...and thus, a main reason why I feel it merits the title "God".
Of course, this is directly related to the thread topic "Pantheism".

All you had to offer in return is your usual miserable insults and mocking.
But, then...you have already stated why you are here in the first place: https://www.city-data.com/forum/61458988-post1341.html
So...that pretty much sums it up.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:36 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Sorry. I was typing my post...and my dog got into it with the woodchuck that lives under the shed.
So, time went by until I finished and clicked it up.
I should have just let it pass by.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Well the claim made earlier in this thread is that the Pantheist God is everything. So whatever the mechanism of creation, the "bad people" and "bad things" are a subset of everything. And hence the "bad people" and "bad things" are a part of the Pantheist God.

That seems to be the position taken up here.
The position seems to be one in which all that exists is called God...

As such, of course everything that is either bad or good or in between is God as well. There is nothing that is not God according to this belief, so yes. The Pantheist God is all-inclusive. I get that just fine, but again that's a long way past my stumbling block that gets us from all that exists to any sort of God.

My stumbling block while I fully recognize how so many religious people, regardless the religion, can step right over that stumbling block without any problem whatsoever...

Old 07-16-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You view poorly, grasshopper. From what I have seen on this forum, the only reverence you have is for yourself, but that is a different story.

I've educated you on this before, but I guess as a non-learner you need lots of repetition. You don't perceive your god, you imagine it. Try to tuck that away.

BTW, can you offer any evidence for your imaginary "god"?
Not sure how you missed it, but Gldn has offered the evidence you ask of him a great many times! In this thread and all the others. Just look around, in any direction. Up or down, and there it is! What a thing given that here all along some of us have been looking in what we thought were the right places while all along it turns out there is no wrong place to look! Not if you're a pantheist anyway.

Right there is your right hand! Just look at it. What more evidence or proof can anyone possibly want or need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality