Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. Sin cannot condemn the child of God, because Jesus Christ died for our sins. His blood cleanses us from all unrighteousness. We will still be with God in glory forever.

But if you're not in Christ, then you will go to hell forever, regardless of how you die.
As a devout Christian, I've just got to say that I've never heard anything so absurd.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-15-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As a devout Christian, I've just got to say that I've never heard anything so absurd.
Some people go to sleep counting sheep.

Some Christians go to sleep counting Other People roasting in hell.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some Christians go to sleep counting Other People roasting in hell.
Lol...That’d make a funny cartoon...

Old 10-16-2020, 09:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Well, we can't handle anything without God for in him we live and move and have our being. Jesus is our strength, our comfort and our joy. Sometimes God takes things away from us in the world that gives us the idea that we are handling it on our own so that we know that it is him from whom we have all our life, all our joy and all our strength.

When God struck my husband with a massive stroke on Christmas Eve morning from which he passed away three days later, it would be easy for me to say that God was not very loving either to him or to me. Yet sometimes God does things in our life that we do not understand, that we cannot see as loving and that we do not know how it is ultimately good for us (for God works all things to good for those who love him and who are called according to his purpose). This is when we must trust in the Lord and lean not on our own understanding.
Wouldnt that be infringing upon our free will?

Old 10-16-2020, 10:52 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:

What part of it? Believers are sealed unto the day of redemption (Eph 4:30). Nothing can separate Jesus's sheep from Him (John 10:27-29, Romans 8:28-39). The sign of the covenant between God and His people is the Sabbath (Exodus 31:12-17). Jesus came so that we might have rest (Matthew 11:28-30). In Christ, the Sabbath ordinance is fulfilled spiritually - that is, we rest from our works. As Jesus proclaimed, "it is finished," before He died, so too is fully accomplished when one savingly believes upon Jesus Christ. The inheritance is of promise, not of law, as with Abraham (Gal 3:18).

On the other hand, Jesus said not everyone who says to Him Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of the Father. And what is the will of the Father?

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:40

Jesus calls the ones He will reject as workers of iniquity of lawlessness (Matthew 7:23). They talk about what they do, about their works, rather than Christ's finished work. Spiritually, they're Sabbath-breakers, because they don't rest in the finished work of Christ.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:38 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
What part of it? Believers are sealed unto the day of redemption (Eph 4:30). Nothing can separate Jesus's sheep from Him (John 10:27-29, Romans 8:28-39). The sign of the covenant between God and His people is the Sabbath (Exodus 31:12-17). Jesus came so that we might have rest (Matthew 11:28-30). In Christ, the Sabbath ordinance is fulfilled spiritually - that is, we rest from our works. As Jesus proclaimed, "it is finished," before He died, so too is fully accomplished when one savingly believes upon Jesus Christ. The inheritance is of promise, not of law, as with Abraham (Gal 3:18).

On the other hand, Jesus said not everyone who says to Him Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of the Father. And what is the will of the Father?

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:40

Jesus calls the ones He will reject as workers of iniquity of lawlessness (Matthew 7:23). They talk about what they do, about their works, rather than Christ's finished work. Spiritually, they're Sabbath-breakers, because they don't rest in the finished work of Christ.
The statement I believe was absurd was, "But if you're not in Christ, then you will go to hell forever, regardless of how you die." First and foremost, billions of people have died without having ever heard of Jesus Christ. Do you really think a loving, just God would torture them forever for something over which they have no control?

That statement, of course, was made in a different post. This post raises additional concerns, but it was your earlier post that I found to be a gross misrepresentation of what salvation is all about.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
The statement I believe was absurd was, "But if you're not in Christ, then you will go to hell forever, regardless of how you die." First and foremost, billions of people have died without having ever heard of Jesus Christ. Do you really think a loving, just God would torture them forever for something over which they have no control?

That statement, of course, was made in a different post. This post raises additional concerns, but it was your earlier post that I found to be a gross misrepresentation of what salvation is all about.
Exactly

Old 10-19-2020, 12:31 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Old 10-19-2020, 07:54 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:

But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased (Psalm 115:3).

God has chosen to save His people from His own just condemnation, paying the ultimate price for it so that He can save us. And He paid it all for such unworthy, sinful wretches as us. Yes, that's amazingly loving! And He has saved His elect from the worst possible fate. And we, His children, will worship Him; and we will thank Him and praise Him forever!

Furthermore, the Bible answers why God has ordained so many to eternal damnation: it is to show His wrath and to make His power known. Paul says in Romans 9:18-23:

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Old 10-19-2020, 07:56 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased (Psalm 115:3).

God has chosen to save His people from His own just condemnation, paying the ultimate price for it so that He can save us. And He paid it all for such unworthy, sinful wretches as us. Yes, that's amazingly loving! And He has saved His elect from the worst possible fate. And we, His children, will worship Him; and we will thank Him and praise Him forever!

Furthermore, the Bible answers why God has ordained so many to eternal damnation: it is to show His wrath and to make His power known. Paul says in Romans 9:18-23:

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
saving his own people from his own condemnation

that sounds dumb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality