Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 01:58 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you believe Yahweh was merciful to the Philistines for believing in Dagon?

The point is, we're all sinners. We all deserve his wrath, as the Bible says in Romans 5:9, but those that trust in Jesus are saved from it. Our sin is punished. Either we take it, or a savior takes it in our place.

As a Christian, Jesus took the wrath of God in my place. What are you trusting in?
Do you have any idea how crazy that sounds? It makes absolutely no sense.

"Our sin is punished". By a forgiving God? Don't forget that God created us as sinners. That alone should give you pause for thought.

Why would God care what god the Philistines believed in? He was not the god of the Philistines, he said so himself. He told the Israelites that he was their god.
Quote:
In addressing the ancient Israelites, He told them: “For you are a holy people to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 02:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

"Our sin is punished". By a forgiving God? Don't forget that God created us as sinners. That alone should give you pause for thought.
Because God is more than just 1 attribute. He is loving, and just. If your theology can't recognize the multiple attributes of God, your god is too small.
Quote:
Why would God care what god the Philistines believed in? He was not the god of the Philistines, he said so himself. He told the Israelites that he was their god.
I'd be curious to hear what Richard has to say about it.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:14 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Then your version of God sounds like an corrupt god.
Yes, that version of God would not be a just God.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:33 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Usually when a believer who is mentally fit and have no reason to kill themselves, where God would send them to hell as they dd not have any time to repent of sin and the death would be completely selfish. ........... So believers who are mentally disabled or in a metal distress like in unbearable pain or on illegal drugs or prescription drug and died God who collect these people for heaven, but still Jesus is the Judge of life .... See this is what I got through the understanding through the Holy Spirit of God.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

It makes sense to fundies.

Because fundies are senseless when it comes to things like logic and reality.

They swallow what the bible feeds them -- no gag reflex -- it just goes down.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:06 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Yes, that version of God would not be a just God.
Sorry, IWMN, then you haven;t the faintest clue what justice IS. The symmetry of having to experience exactly whatever you willfully wrought is about as just as it gets.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:54 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:

The point is, we're all sinners. We all deserve his wrath, as the Bible says in Romans 5:9, but those that trust in Jesus are saved from it. Our sin is punished. Either we take it, or a savior takes it in our place.

As a Christian, Jesus took the wrath of God in my place. What are you trusting in?
As a christian. Don’t you believe jesus and god are one and the same BFun?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

kind of like parent that did their best but the kid was just a little off?

And lets assume no "fault" on either side, it was just the rules of game.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:50 PM

574 posts, read 377,026 times
We are here to learn and experience. It is not just our own lessons and experience but also that of others you were intended to interact with. Most of the time, people will need to return in order to complete what was interrupted.

That's my belief and I am sticking to it.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post

Hoe about chrisitinity? Does christinity say the same or different for those who commit suicide?
No one knows. God doesn't reveal very much about specific punishment. He/She may not even be condemned, we do not know that for sure. Only God knows the heart and only he can say with any certainty whether someone is condemned. I think we will be very surprised to see who is in heaven with the Lord Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a friend who shot himself in the head about 25 years ago. His wife had taken his kids and moved to another state and he didn't have the money for a lawyer because he'd lost his job. He had a chronic illness. He just gave up.

That Sunday, his parents went to church, where one of their Christian brothers said to them, "I'm sorry to hear about your son, but you know he went to straight to hell for what he did."
I remember you talking about that. That is just horrible that the parents had to hear such murderous speech.

Quote:
So, no, I don't believe that Christianity--which is how it is actually spelled--overall believes what that man said. I think some rotten people who hide behind the church would like to think that, because a disturbing percentage of Christians seem to take a special delight in the idea of other people in hell. Hopefully, the percentage who do not feel that way is much higher.
I don't know either how people can say they follow God and think with delight of other people in hell. Even God takes no delight in the death of the wicked. Jesus showed us the fullest revelation of God we can know here on earth and he was full of compassion and mercy, especially for the sick and downtrodden, what I imagine would be the majority of those who commit suicide.

Quote:

However, if we go back to the root of Christianity--the teachings of Christ--then nah, a person's suicide should only bring forth love and sympathy and sorrow, not condemnation.
I do believe that a mentally ill person who commits suicide yet did have a genuine love for Jesus in their heart will be forgiven and not condemned. When a person receives the righteousness of Jesus by faith, they are forgiven for all sins past, current and future. There is no need to make a confession of sins, for that would make it Jesus + something else. It is Jesus alone that saves (incidentally that is why I believe infants/young children/and the mentally incompetent can also be saved without a knowing faith, but that is getting into another topic).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 10-09-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality