Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

One thing no one has mentioned yet...God told us he would never give us more than we could handle...so the fact that so many people have committed suicide, seems to contradict that imo...they CLEARLY were dealing with MORE than they could handle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One thing no one has mentioned yet...God told us he would never give us more than we could handle..
What verse says that? He never said that, actually.
Quote:

so the fact that so many people have committed suicide, seems to contradict that imo...they CLEARLY were dealing with MORE than they could handle!
Yes. God clearly intends to give us more than we can handle, because it results in us running to him. But still, some don't.

As for suicide? I'm not going to throw stones at the person that is very possibly mentally unstable and does something horrible like that.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:06 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
One thing no one has mentioned yet...God told us he would never give us more than we could handle...so the fact that so many people have committed suicide, seems to contradict that imo...they CLEARLY were dealing with MORE than they could handle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What verse says that? He never said that, actually.
I was taught that he said that.

A quick google search came up with 1 Corinthians 10:13 New International Version;
Quote:
"he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear."
I also found;
Quote:
This is the verse that is so often misquoted.
I remember it being read from the bible that God will not give us more suffering or hardship than we can bear and that point was emphasized. It struck me me because I had an inkling of what pain felt like and new full well how much worse it can be so the very idea that God could give us more pain horrified me. I seem to remember the story of Job being mentioned. This was when I was a kid. As a kid I was being taught about Jesus being flogged and crucified by being nailed onto the cross.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-10-2020 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 11:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
same.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:36 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Well stated.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:37 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

A quick google search came up with 1 Corinthians 10:13 New International Version; I also found;
I remember it being read from the bible that God will not give us more suffering or hardship than we can bear and that point was emphasized. It struck me me because I had an inkling of what pain felt like and new full well how much worse it can be so the very idea that God could give us more pain horrified me. I seem to remember the story of Job being mentioned. This was when I was a kid. As a kid I was being taught about Jesus being flogged and crucified by being nailed onto the cross.
I remember being taught the same thing in Sunday school, and I remember countless such statements by christians (or are they just making that up, too?).

Old 10-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:

A quick google search came up with 1 Corinthians 10:13 New International Version; I also found;
Temptation is not the same as suffering. God will allow us to suffer. We see that over and over and over again in Scripture.

So to read 1 Corinthians 10:13 to suggest that is really kind of nuts. It doesn't mention suffering. It's talking of temptation. We don't have an excuse for giving into temptation.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I remember being taught the same thing in Sunday school, and I remember countless such statements by christians (or are they just making that up, too?).
You've probably been taught wrong by well-meaning teachers. The same kind of folks that would suggest that "God helps those who help themselves". It SOUNDS good and often gets repeated, very likely innocently. People like to repeat what sounds good without actually verifying it.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:01 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
God never said that, and it isn't true.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:03 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
But I remember hearing the passage being read out to us and being reminded of Job and how God gave Job suffering but not too much for him to bear. Are some bibles different to others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality