Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2020, 09:46 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're wrong right off the start. Several of us have taken the same basic position that Diesel takes.
Then you also fall in the same category. Of claiming to know what other people feel, think, do, and believe. And having it pointed out as inaccurate.

Quote:
Perhaps you could show me a post of your own that has any substance to it which couldn't be described as "an imagined view that is simplistic and superficial and inaccurate". You believe that what you believe is true because you believe it. That's the substance of most of which you've posted in this forum. And that's a position that needs to be countered. You may be right on some of what you believe, but none of what I remember that you have talked about has been realistically substantiated.
those are your words, your opinions, your views.
they belong to you.
i am pointing out the behavior of pasting your views on others and imagining, concocting, inventing that is what they feel, think, do, or believe. It is an invention because it is not accurate.

regarding bold above, thank you for a hearty laugh.
laughter increases a person's life span, so i express gratitude for this morsel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 09:55 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
There have been multiple posters here that have stated their beliefs are strictly faith based and not necessarily what is true.

It's really a fatuous, navel-gazing idea, nothing more than a fig leaf to hide your hostility to religious faith. As if I'm supposed to put my own spiritual life on hold for eighteen years to fulfill your whack notion of parenting right and wrong.

Shucks, while we're at it, let's just examine everything that parents have traditionally taught their children.

Good manners? Why, that's nothing than an artificial, classist construction, a yoke that we put around the necks of our children in order to pull society's plow.

Eat a proper meal? Why, children know better what food is good for them better than the parents.

Go to bed at the appointed hour? Why, that shackles their creativity and sense of autonomy.

Do one's chores and do them well? That is a terrible suggestion, because it could imply that their worth is only as good as the work they do. And besides, shouldn't society just pay us?

Good grades in school? Oh, sure. As if most of this is even remotely germane to what the child will need to know growing up. I mean, who really uses quadratic equations in real life or needs to rattle off the countries of Latin America?

Nope. My kids were hauled to church every Sunday. And were active in church life, attended church camp, and participated in outreach projects. Today? One is pretty devout, one is atheist, and one just hasn't formed an opinion. None of them were worse for the experience however.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:01 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Then you also fall in the same category. Of claiming to know what other people feel, think, do, and believe. And having it pointed out as inaccurate.

they belong to you.
i am pointing out the behavior of pasting your views on others and imagining, concocting, inventing that is what they feel, think, do, or believe. It is an invention because it is not accurate.

laughter increases a person's life span, so i express gratitude for this morsel.
1. "Of claiming to know what other people feel, think, do, and believe." You do this often. You're not Buddhist. You clearly know nothing about Buddhism. Yet you've told us it's a god-based religion.

2. "those are your words, your opinions, your views." The same thing is true about your statements about what is reality. You state your opinions as facts.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:04 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's really a fatuous, navel-gazing idea, nothing more than a fig leaf to hide your hostility to religious faith. As if I'm supposed to put my own spiritual life on hold for eighteen years to fulfill your whack notion of parenting right and wrong.
If you claim your religion to be true, then why is it considered hostile to ask for evidence? Must religion never be questioned?

Quote:
Shucks, while we're at it, let's just examine everything that parents have traditionally taught their children.

Good manners? Why, that's nothing than an artificial, classist construction, a yoke that we put around the necks of our children in order to pull society's plow.

Eat a proper meal? Why, children know better what food is good for them better than the parents.

Go to bed at the appointed hour? Why, that shackles their creativity and sense of autonomy.

Do one's chores and do them well? That is a terrible suggestion, because it could imply that their worth is only as good as the work they do. And besides, shouldn't society just pay us?

Good grades in school? Oh, sure. As if most of this is even remotely germane to what the child will need to know growing up. I mean, who really uses quadratic equations in real life or needs to rattle off the countries of Latin America?

Nope. My kids were hauled to church every Sunday. And were active in church life, attended church camp, and participated in outreach projects. Today? One is pretty devout, one is atheist, and one just hasn't formed an opinion. None of them were worse for the experience however.
I see nothing but a bunch of strawman arguments here. No where did I mention a person would be a worse off person for growing up in a religious home.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:40 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:

I see nothing but a bunch of strawman arguments here. No where did I mention a person would be a worse off person for growing up in a religious home.

That's completely dishonest of you. When you toss around words such as spoonfed and indoctrination, you're very clear in your intent.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
i don't see anyone ---except you [and those who perseverate in the inane repetition of the phrases "faith based" and "faith claims"]--- saying that either.
it is an imagined view that is simplistic and superficial and inaccurate.

my observation is that view, that behavior is demonstrated by those who are more interested having the argument in their head, than actually engaging with actual people who don't fit the crude caricature they can't see beyond.
Your usual ironic, inane and repeated dismissal to avoid actually engaging with actual people with credible arguments.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:49 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your usual ironic, inane and repeated dismissal to avoid actually engaging with actual people with credible arguments.
Thank you!

Old 11-10-2020, 11:29 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's completely dishonest of you. When you toss around words such as spoonfed and indoctrination, you're very clear in your intent.
More strawman from you. The thread was opened as a question. Not a statement.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:35 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:

they belong to you.

What is it about your view/posts that causes at least one certain poster to act as though you are leading them by their nose?
The animosity is palpable.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:09 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
More strawman from you. The thread was opened as a question. Not a statement.
view in post from MiniVan is correct.
the hostility in your posts is apparent.
and transparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality