Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2020, 04:32 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You are veering off into nonsense. Science doesn't answer everything. In fact it doesn't answer any of the really important questions of why anything, or something does exist, how it got here, where it's going.
Neither does religion, which just asserts things. Jehovah spoke, Mbombo was sick, ...

Quote:
It's just a collection of facts about whatever layer of an infinite onion we are presently looking at.
No, it is a methodology to determine the most probable truth of something.

Quote:
Your blind belief in science is a religion.
Science works, and can be tested. It also has no problem changing as we discover new information. that is not blind belief.

Quote:
At least most religions provide answers.
Asserts answers that have often been shown to be wrong.

Quote:
That you don't believe them is your problem, not religions'. And if religions ask for blind obedience, so do you with science. A zealot is a zealot.
And a straw man is a fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, it does not.
statement in bold above demonstrates an ignorance (lack of knowledge and information) of religion.
again.

religion is not an argument. it is not about convincing. it is a path a person chooses and participates in and applies to daily living.
An ironic ignorance of many religious people and their religion.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
no, it does not.
statement in bold above demonstrates an ignorance (lack of knowledge and information) of religion.
again.

religion is not an argument. it is not about convincing. it is a path a person chooses and participates in and applies to daily living.
I have to agree with trans here. Its fine to believe this. But but when theist are saying religion is describing how things work over the scientific method thats when we have problems.

Laws based on "My god said so" tend to be less reliable, and more exclusive, than laws that never bring up the word god or religion.

And to avoid saying saying "the data doesn't look like its supports my god but my god supports people in need" isn't what I call the most honest thing to do. Unless of course, you stay away from form people asking how the universe works.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Faith vs the scientific method. Its really not even a fair fight.
Certainly not, not when Faith is so much easier.

Quote:
I have to agree with trans here. Its fine to believe this. But but when theist are saying religion is describing how things work over the scientific method thats when we have problems.

Laws based on "My god said so" tend to be less reliable, and more exclusive, than laws that never bring up the word god or religion.

And to avoid saying saying "the data doesn't look like its supports my god but my god supports people in need" isn't what I call the most honest thing to do. Unless of course, you stay away from form people asking how the universe works.

Thanks old pal I owe you one. There'll be a hot apple pie in the oven when you get home...

Old 11-07-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Certainly not, not when Faith is so much easier.

Thanks old pal I owe you one. There'll be a hot apple pie in the oven when you get home...
Thank you for the invite and we will visit, we like pie, but it aint my home. You are also invited to stay with me and mine during your travels if need be. We will gladly leave the light on for you.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:12 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Faith vs the scientific method. Its really not even a fair fight.
it is not a fight at all.
because there is no fight.
those with logic, common sense, reasoning, balance, and critical thinking skills are able to grasp that. with ease.

while those who have been indoctrinated to see "fight" only see "fight." they are unable to integrate and understand and acknowledge a variety of elements and aspects; and the relationship between them. in life. in humankind. and within the individual.

clearly those indoctrinated in that way struggle with the concept that there is no fight. they have painted themselves into a corner by clinging to that indoctrination which they have been (in the parlance of the opening post) spoonfed. the "fight" mentality of "faith vs scientific method" characterizes a narrow mind.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-07-2020 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2020, 10:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
You may be right there and I see the science -skeptical (preferring Faith) mindset very peculiar. Those who are able to reconcile (or compartmentalise, perhaps) faith and science...I wouldn't see them as the problem, even if I didn't do it that way myself.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
it is not a fight at all.
because there is no fight.
those with logic, common sense, reasoning, balance, and critical thinking skills are able to grasp that. with ease.

while those who have been indoctrinated to see "fight" only see "fight." they are unable to integrate and understand and acknowledge a variety of elements and aspects; and the relationship between them. in life. in humankind. and within the individual.

clearly those indoctrinated in that way struggle with the concept that there is no fight. they have painted themselves into a corner by clinging to that indoctrination which they have been (in the parlance of the opening post) spoonfed. the "fight" mentality of "faith vs scientific method" characterizes a narrow mind.
yes and no again tzaph.

You tend to us generalizations that sound/are very sound. And on the surface very reliable. Its when we apply your positions to and actual position that reliability starts to slip.

In this thread, I have no trouble with how you presented it. "indoctrination" is one of the weaker flanking moves in the fight against religion. I am just not a "war by attrition" type thinker so I avoid it.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:15 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You may be right there and I see the science -skeptical (preferring Faith) mindset very peculiar. Those who are able to reconcile (or compartmentalise, perhaps) faith and science...I wouldn't see them as the problem, even if I didn't do it that way myself.
It's sad that so many people are enjoying the fruits of God while denying His very existence.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's sad that so many people are enjoying the fruits of God while denying His very existence.
All hail Mbombo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality