Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 03:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

As you know I don't agree. I think they weight "stop religion" so high that nothing else matters. That's the reason. What they don't see is just how irrational that starting point is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's actually quite a trip...a forum where a large percentage of the posts bash the subject of the forum, and criticize and insult the people that embrace it!
That is the reaction of many of the theists here, especially those pretending to be spiritual gurus. They are afraid there are alternative reasons for why they believe, and do not want to believe that we are not special.

And it is amusing to watch the dishonest arguments to defend their irrational position.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do not consider myself a slow learner, but it has taken me more than a decade to absorb the cumulative frustration of thinking there were legitimate minds here that simply didn't understand my views. I have come to realize, internalize, and eliminate the abreaction to that obviously mistaken fantasy. This forum and its proponents seem to have a very specific agenda regarding religion and spirituality that is completely devoid of reason, rationality, or any desire to even try genuinely to understand plausible alternative views of Reality. It really is a kind of mirror image Gldn forum in so many ways, my friend!
It is amusing that you do not see the irony of doing the thing (criticize and insult) that Goldie accuses us of doing.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You, like a number of others, are clearly looking for a praise forum. This is a discussion of the topic forum. Two completely different things.
If they had had their way, this would have become an annexe of Christianity. But ut has become something of an annexe of A/A. (Atheists almighty) and we could have had Chrstianity, too, but the Christian disapproval of that was loud (they tried to have us banned from posting there ) and so I keep out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's actually quite a trip...a forum where a large percentage of the posts bash the subject of the forum, and criticize and insult the people that embrace it!
Even more of a trip...my twisted mind finds that to be one of the main attractions to it.
It is perhaps an anomalous situation that the discussion area (at least) of the (to employ analogy) stamp - collecting forum is dominated by those who don't collect stamps. But that, as they say, is the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is amusing that you do not see the irony of doing the thing (criticize and insult) that Goldie accuses us of doing.
However, Mystic (as I say, typically theistlike) only does that when he tries to preach his own Beliefs they way (so the saying goes) rabbits crap; everywhere and at random - and gets called on it. Those nonbelievers who are opposed to New atheism on political grounds just go straight to the accusations and insults. They have not a theism to defend.

Though Goldie has managed to fudge one up, though only Mystic seems to believe it is a genuine theism, or pretends to.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-10-2021 at 02:51 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is the reaction of many of the theists here, especially those pretending to be spiritual gurus. They are afraid there are alternative reasons for why they believe, and do not want to believe that we are not special.

And it is amusing to watch the dishonest arguments to defend their irrational position.
Always good for a laugh.

Quote:
I do not consider myself a slow learner, but it has taken me more than a decade to absorb the cumulative frustration of thinking there were legitimate minds here that simply didn't understand my views. I have come to realize, internalize, and eliminate the abreaction to that obviously mistaken fantasy. This forum and its proponents seem to have a very specific agenda regarding religion and spirituality that is completely devoid of reason, rationality, or any desire to even try genuinely to understand plausible alternative views of Reality. It really is a kind of mirror image Gldn forum in so many ways, my friend!
Well, as the tinfloil hat wearers who contributed to 'Flying Saucer Review' used to begin their cracked claims with 'I have been working on my Theory for thirty years..", I've been working on my own Theories(1 and 2) for some good thirty years, too, and I'm still learning new stuff. I don't consider you a slow learner either Mystic, but rather typically theistically, believing they know it all (a mindset they project onto science)but glacially slowly, having to change views that are clearly clunks, and pretending that's what the theory was all along.

(1) General theory - the Gospels were not eyewitness written by followers of Jesus but fabrications by Greek Christian followers of Paul.These are based on a common story, itself a Christian overpaint of an original tale of a Jewish failed messiah, which may be true.

(2) special theory - This Jewish messianic mission was seditious in nature and intended to do what Jewish Zealotry wanted: rid Judea of the Romans. If so, that puts the whole story (shorn of it's contradictions) into a very different light and one in which the Christian suffering servant is irrelevant.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-10-2021 at 02:42 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:

We can only control our selves first. Understand the state of the machine. For me, I know I am getting old, losing brain cells, and getting crusty on the outside. Thoughts will follow the paths that are left over. Often negative paths are burned in and we actively suppress those thoughts when our brains functioning in full. As we lose pathways due to age, the thoughts have less choices. Unreliable, or less "healthy" thoughts can go from subconscious to Break through thoughts.

Then face them down. I consider it great when the stop religion gang had to run from me. as soon as they had to stop looking at evidence to form a belief ... the game was over.

But that doesn't change how I respond. It doesn't change how I walk my path. I look at all evidence and what all people use as weights. Thats it ... it doesn't matter how foolish the anti-god gang is anymore than how foolish my deity only god guys are.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:13 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If they had had their way, this would have become an annexe of Christianity. But ut has become something of an annexe of A/A. (Atheists almighty) and we could have had Chrstianity, too, but the Christian disapproval of that was loud (they tried to have us banned from posting there ) and so I keep out of it.

<snip>>
That's not what happened. One of the former moderators suggested that it was senseless to operate a forum about Christianity without at least assuming that God/Jesus exist. It made so much basic sense that we added it to the rules there without much discussion.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Nipped for space ...

However, Mystic (as I say, typically theistlike) only does that when he tries to preach his own Beliefs they way (so the saying goes) rabbits crap; everywhere and at random - and gets called on it. Those nonbelievers who are opposed to New atheism on political grounds just go straight to the accusations and insults. They have not a theism to defend.

Though Goldie has managed to fudge one up, though only Mystic seems to believe it is a genuine theism, or pretends to.
You misrepresenting what is going trans. Basically you full on bolderdash here.

We are not against new age atheist, we are new age atheist. We are against the tactics that militant atheist use while calling themselves "Only new aged atheist."

specifically, new age atheism is about politics .... this is a religious forum. New age atheist can separate beliefs in a spirituality forum from politics. Militants (fundy think types) can not.

specifically ... in this forum ... fighting simple, logical, well supported claims like we may be in a system that matches alive more than not alive because you are on a political crusade, again (in this forum), to stop religon. You have to take active steps to get the logic stopped for yourself.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's not what happened. One of the former moderators suggested that it was senseless to operate a forum about Christianity without at least assuming that God/Jesus exist. It made so much basic sense that we added it to the rules there without much discussion.
I'm sure that I recall the Christians started a demand to have atheists excluded from the Christianity forum. I recall that the request was rejected, but I'm sure it was called for. Maybe my incipient Alzheimers is to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You misrepresenting what is going trans. Basically you full on bolderdash here.

We are not against new age atheist, we are new age atheist. We are against the tactics that militant atheist use while calling themselves "Only new aged atheist."

specifically, new age atheism is about politics .... this is a religious forum. New age atheist can separate beliefs in a spirituality forum from politics. Militants (fundy think types) can not.

specifically ... in this forum ... fighting simple, logical, well supported claims like we may be in a system that matches alive more than not alive because you are on a political crusade, again (in this forum), to stop religon. You have to take active steps to get the logic stopped for yourself.
You misunderstand at least. New atheism, to make just one obvious correction is not the same thing as 'new age atheism'. So was that just wrongheadedness or deliberate craftiness? You tell me.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:49 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times
Quote:
I'm sure that I recall the Christians started a demand to have atheists excluded from the Christianity forum. I recall that the request was rejected, but I'm sure it was called for. Maybe my incipient Alzheimers is to blame.

Much as I often disagree with theists, I'll say I see no point in allowing atheists to dispute gods in the religious subforums. Those should be strictly for discussion about the mechanics of their beliefs only. The AA subforum doesn't allow proselytizing by theists, so sort of the same rules fo atheists going to religion specic subforums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality