Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 02:58 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I would not describe my opinions and/or conclusions as the result of any sort of "default." You love to use that word and constantly describe my thoughts (and others) in terms you carefully choose to misrepresent the process that has me and others conclude differently than you do.

You may agree that you "default" toward a belief in God, and perhaps that is more the truth. I just don't think the way you do, and I'm not seeing much good reason to attempt any reconciliation along these lines when we both know our manner of evaluation, consideration, and conclusion are very different even at the most fundamental level.

If you really do consider everything I post, consider this.
I will have to decline, LearnMe, if I consider that too deeply, I would be forced to conclude some negative things about you. I simply can't do that. Your Ten Assertions at least pretend to an objectivity that I admire, but that your actual thought processes belie. But I'm not quite convinced you are a hopeless case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 07:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
I would not describe my opinions and/or conclusions as the result of any sort of "default." You love to use that word and constantly describe my thoughts (and others) in terms you carefully choose to misrepresent the process that has me and others conclude differently than you do.

You may agree that you "default" toward a belief in God, and perhaps that is more the truth. I just don't think the way you do, and I'm not seeing much good reason to attempt any reconciliation along these lines when we both know our manner of evaluation, consideration and conclusion are very different even at the most fundamental level.

If you really do consider everything I post, consider this.
He won't but I will.

Yes, I put in actual claims and list them side by side. That although "I lack belief because I don't know" is very valid, its not so valid when all we do is tell people they are wrong and we don't have offered a counter claim. Really meaning "I don't have to actually think out all the data."

Your creed is an excellent example of just how different we are. You use the creed I use the standard model. You recite the creed when you start addressing spirituality I plug in the claim to the scientific method.

That gap can't be closed. Unless you can show me why I shouldn't use the scientific method. How does "I don't Romanize it" compare to "I only use the scientific method".

Old 07-16-2021, 10:09 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
He won't but I will.

Yes, I put in actual claims and list them side by side. That although "I lack belief because I don't know" is very valid, its not so valid when all we do is tell people they are wrong and we don't have offered a counter claim. Really meaning "I don't have to actually think out all the data."

Your creed is an excellent example of just how different we are. You use the creed I use the standard model. You recite the creed when you start addressing spirituality I plug in the claim to the scientific method.

That gap can't be closed. Unless you can show me why I shouldn't use the scientific method. How does "I don't Romanize it" compare to "I only use the scientific method".
No, you don't list claims side by side.

I wish you would. Your position would be much easier to understand.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I will have to decline, LearnMe, if I consider that too deeply, I would be forced to conclude some negative things about you. I simply can't do that. Your Ten Assertions at least pretend to an objectivity that I admire, but that your actual thought processes belie. But I'm not quite convinced you are a hopeless case.
Ah. I think that makes you more of an optimist than even me, and I consider myself something of an optimist!

On the other hand, you know my Cement Thingy. (Joining in the fun that you and AA love to enjoy when making reference to the things I "pretend" to offer objectively, and that you so admire). Piddling down my back again and telling me it's raining. As if any fool can't tell what you're doing.

Optimism or a love of insult? Optimism or foolishness? Not sure, but the optimism is not well justified I don't think. Especially as I continue my efforts to ignore comments like these. Fail as I do more often than I like to admit...

Old 07-16-2021, 11:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

And no matter how many times I explain as honestly as I can I'm not wanting to do that circle dance or play those games anymore, they circle back like hyenas who can't give up the scent of their favorite prey...

We're different? Sure are!

Old 07-16-2021, 12:54 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Ah. I think that makes you more of an optimist than even me, and I consider myself something of an optimist!

On the other hand, you know my Cement Thingy. (Joining in the fun that you and AA love to enjoy when making reference to the things I "pretend" to offer objectively, and that you so admire). Piddling down my back again and telling me it's raining. As if any fool can't tell what you're doing.

Optimism or a love of insult? Optimism or foolishness? Not sure, but the optimism is not well justified I don't think. Especially as I continue my efforts to ignore comments like these. Fail as I do more often than I like to admit...
Consider it piddling if you must, but seriously contemplate what you actually believe and advocate in comparison with what your Ten Assertons suggest you are open to. They do not match. Just saying.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:

'cause you said so.

lmao.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:06 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
'cause you said so.

lmao.
Oh. Alright. So even with an actual list, your claims would not be easy to undrestand.

Is that better?

Again, point us to a list you have made where you have done a side-by-side comparison. And then, put it in the blog section so we can go back and refer to it in the future. It would take you less time to go back and find the list, than it would be to keep arguing about the list. [perhaps this is "running away"]

Old 07-17-2021, 06:04 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Oh. Alright. So even with an actual list, your claims would not be easy to undrestand.

Is that better?

Again, point us to a list you have made where you have done a side-by-side comparison. And then, put it in the blog section so we can go back and refer to it in the future. It would take you less time to go back and find the list, than it would be to keep arguing about the list. [perhaps this is "running away"]
Arach has put up more posts where he "made lists" and "comparisons" than all others on this board put together.
I remembered this post, because it was the 1st post I saw coming back to this board after a while:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/59256275-post114.html

And scores of posts like this:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61280316-post495.html

To say he doesn't post lists & make comparisons, is like saying I don't post about Pantheistic ideas.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Is that better?

You are just repeating the stuff now phet. I have posted lists in many ways and many times. You never responded to them for any type of clarification.

I am staying here, in this forum. I doing so because when I make a statement and sort through the thought process for my spiritual positions they start to make sense to the average person.

Phet, the fact that you twist what I do up so much is a you problem. Just take responsibility for your role in this disconnect.

The the first step in recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality