Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 11:26 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but no doubt someone's pointed out free will, bad choices, the fall, etc.
The disconnect of human perceptions versus those of a deity is a topic all sides and beliefs should probably tread lightly on.
I personally believe that things like ancient history and the nature of the universe are far more mysterious and complex than conventional thinking allows for.
Not so, whatsoever. Conventional,, i.e. secular, thinking is the only thing that will help us sort our the mysterious Universe created by M. Pele'!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 02:48 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Not so, whatsoever. Conventional,, i.e. secular, thinking is the only thing that will help us sort our the mysterious Universe created by M. Pele'!!!
No, secular thinking is too closed off, too limiting, too presumptive.
Of course, there is always the possibility of stumbling upon something that will change their minds.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Of course, there is always the possibility of stumbling upon something that will change their minds.
My lad, you have is Bass Ackwards. Secular thinking is free from the mind-cloud and closemindedness imposed by "belief".

Secular thinking is the opposite of "closed off". No doubt you just make this stuff up as you go, but it doesn't make for meaningful debate.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
I think it would be better to just call it critical thinking. There is nothing closed off about critical thinking. In fact if done properly, critical thinking takes all of consequence into consideration in order to draw the most appropriate conclusion.

As for anyone changing their minds here, my critical thinking tells me the odds of that happening are about as high as God posting a comment in this forum to finally clear up matters for all of us.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
I don't think so sub.

Remember atheist have all sorts of beliefs. They range from living planet to cosmic mind and all points in-between. Like Buddhist for example. And a pantheist god is not a deity at all to me. Try not to lump us all into one pot.

Separation of church and state is must. We can't have laws justified solely on "god said so". Its just to dicey.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:37 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't think so sub.

Remember atheist have all sorts of beliefs. They range from living planet to cosmic mind and all points in-between. Like Buddhist for example. And a pantheist god is not a deity at all to me. Try not to lump us all into one pot.

Separation of church and state is must. We can't have laws justified solely on "god said so". Its just to dicey.
Seems to me you got this right...

Past time for me to sign off again and move on to other things, but as I do, I'm reminded of the "America love it or leave it" mantra that some like to espouse. I'm not one of those people. Not at all, but I wonder if those who are anti-secular might change their tune a bit if they lived awhile in a country where theology rules the land rather than secularism.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think it would be better to just call it critical thinking. There is nothing closed off about critical thinking. In fact if done properly, critical thinking takes all of consequence into consideration in order to draw the most appropriate conclusion.

As for anyone changing their minds here, my critical thinking tells me the odds of that happening are about as high as God posting a comment in this forum to finally clear up matters for all of us.
That works. Religion, IMHO, clouds the mind so much that critical thinking is impossible.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't think so sub.

Various and sundry atheists may hold such beliefs, but atheism per se doesn't, IMHO.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:17 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
That works. Religion, IMHO, clouds the mind so much that critical thinking is impossible.
When I was teaching earth science, which included evolution (a part of the state curriculum), one year I had five religious parents who said -- literally -- "I don't want my child to think".

It often isn't so much that religion clouds the mind, it's often that religion forbids critical thinking.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I was teaching earth science, which included evolution (a part of the state curriculum), one year I had five religious parents who said -- literally -- "I don't want my child to think".

It often isn't so much that religion clouds the mind, it's often that religion forbids critical thinking.
I won't disagree with you but it seems to me to be a distinction without too much of a difference. Either way it interferes with rational though. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality