Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 06:46 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
how about we dump the emotion and discuss beliefs.

what seems like a reliable belief? in terms of spirituality.

deity
living system (size is an issue)
non living system
rebirth and reincarnation
lack belief
deny everything so theist can't use it and make a type of atheism harder to sell.
I am here to fight religion's over reaching political meddling
all belief are lunacy (in terms of "higher powers and spirituality)

lmao ... I can't wait for this ...
You've discussed your mantra enough for me over the past few years.
Discuss it with those interested in your views. That's not me and hasn't been for a long, long time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
some of us only focus on how true or not ...

That is our disconnect mesa.
I'm sure he'd rather be a mesa than a butte.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:22 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You've discussed your mantra enough for me over the past few years.
Discuss it with those interested in your views. That's not me and hasn't been for a long, long time now.
TRANSLATION: I have never liked seeing this, because to answer logically and truthfully would expose me.
So, I never have really addressed it...maybe someone else can/will.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
TRANSLATION: I have never liked seeing this, because to answer logically and truthfully would expose me.
So, I never have really addressed it...maybe someone else can/will.
No, Arach's let's make a list mantra has been around now for several years. It's a broken record. He's welcome to discuss it with anyone who's interested. But when he posts it in a response to one of my posts...I'm just not interested in getting on the merry-go-round again.

You are perfectly welcome to immerse yourself in the glory that is Arach. Be my guest.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:49 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
You talk too much.
That has been noted frequently, Phet. It is probably true.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:10 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
(snip)

who is actually more reliable? Evidence based wise anyway.

Well, you asked, so here we go.

Believers, as a whole, have made/cling to outlandish claims about a god and heaven and hell and eternal life etc., ALL of which is without a shred of supporting evidence.

Score that as:

An outlandish claim sans evidence

I say that there is no evidence of said outlandish claim and, therefor, it is false. I support that conclusion with example after example of how their foundational dogma is contradicted by FACTS discovered by the scientific method.

Score that as:

A reasonable claim supported by evidence.

To assist you further I will add that concluding that an outlandish claim unsupported by any evidence whatsoever is false, is, in fact, a reasonable claim.

I will leave comparing the two up to you.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:10 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Well, you asked, so here we go.

Believers, as a whole, have made/cling to outlandish claims about a god and heaven and hell and eternal life etc., ALL of which is without a shred of supporting evidence.

Score that as:

An outlandish claim sans evidence

I say that there is no evidence of said outlandish claim and, therefor, it is false. I support that conclusion with example after example of how their foundational dogma is contradicted by FACTS discovered by the scientific method.

Score that as:

A reasonable claim supported by evidence.

To assist you further I will add that concluding that an outlandish claim unsupported by any evidence whatsoever is false, is, in fact, a reasonable claim.

I will leave comparing the two up to you.

AA,

I will conclude from your silence that you are in complete accord with what I have stated, and will hold that conclusion until you assert otherwise.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Essentially, what you're suggesting is a praise forum. There are plenty of those on the internet. That's not what this is.

But beyond that, look at what you're actually saying. That atheists should be polite and quiet while religionists should continue to push their religion on society and tell non-believers that they are going to hell.

Yeah...that's sounds fair and balanced.
No, I am not praising anybody. Courtesy, politeness, and respect goes both ways. I have had my share of negative experiences with theists; that includes some of my own family members.

Take a look at this forum. This a forum of Religion and Spirituality. When I first saw this forum a few years ago, I thought it was a forum for theist to discuss their views, and that is true. However, I also saw a lot of atheist going into the forum to "show" how theists how wrong they are for having views comparable to unicorns, Santa, and other similar myths.

If a theist in the "RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY" is expressing his or her religious views, the name of the forum implies that?! Doesn't it?
In this forum theists can talk about how wrong they think atheist are. The same I would say of an atheist forum doing the same. The bottom line, to me, I see so many petty arguments back and forth from both sides that turn into childish attitudes from BOTH sides.

So they believe non believers will go to hell. How does that bother you? After all, you think they are talking about fairy tales views. Let them look ignorant. When you join them in arguing a topic that has no logic in your view, you are in essence lowering to their level.

I am not saying not discuss to prove your theist or atheist point. Don't take me wrong. The interesting thing is that I notice that it always ends up going nowhere. Have you seen an atheist or a theist since you been in this forum someone say "Wow, I go it, now I have become an atheist or a deist, thank you very much for showing me the truth." I have not. Maybe you have.
I love discussing religion from a philosophical angle. That is why I see what is going on in this forum every so often.

I would visit this forum more often. But when I see a lot childish competitive interaction, I leave. Sometimes, I do see some interesting conversations or points, and I join with my comments.

You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 06-21-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
First of all, it isn't slowly dying. It's always been a quieter part of the forum (just as the Buddhist forum is) because there are fewer of us.

Secondly, the way you OFTEN talk down to people is a means of mocking and ridiculing people, as well, albeit a bit more subtle.
That is also true. Theist are not devoid of being condescending towards atheists. Must cover both sides to be fair.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 06-21-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The owner of the company decided in the beginning (2005) that he didn't want the forums to work that way. Any member can post in any forum. He set up a few of the forums with either titles or rules that are a bit different from most on the Internet. For examples, look at the A&A forum, Great Debates, and P&OC. At this point, I'd say he is highly unlikely to change the parameters for any of the forums.
That is true. I express what I would think would lead to a more constructive environment. However, I am not in charge. I express my suggestions, and if it is not followed, I salute the flag and keep going along with what is required.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality