Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 12:35 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I know God is real, God intervenes in my life regularly.
I am 70 years old and have known the Lord Jesus since I was 7 and He has been a faithful friend all my life.
Though I fail from time to time I seek His will and strongly desire the tutelage of the Holy Spirit Jesus provides, to lead me in all that I do.
God responds to honesty and transparency and humility and the reception of his investment in man, Jesus Christ.
If you had a neighbor that was generous and had influence, you would treat Him with every respect and regard his children with the same respect, and get to know him and let him get to know you. Then a mutual relationship can grow.
If you lie to him and he finds out his respect is then diminished, the relationship damaged.
The people he associates with are reputable and no criminals among them nor their associates.
God has no need to compromise with rebels, though He can use them, they are not worth keeping eternally.
A lot of people say they believe in God but believing is not what people actually do, they accommodate the idea but have no clue as to make a connection.
If you believe in a boat you put it in the water and GET IN IT. If you believe in a structure you stand under it.
You vote for the person you believe serves your interests.
Before I do most things I pray for God's direction because His direction is most important to me.
God sees things from an eternal perspective, I can't even see what I'll be doing the next hour.
It is not something the natural man with out the Holy Spirit can know, nor can he achieve it through some other means, other than Jesus Christ.
It is not about religion, it is about a relationship.
I would like to add that many of us have a similar relationship with a divine being, but we don't call it Jesus Christ. Misunderstandings result from the idea that the name you apply to something explains what it is. No. Your Jesus Christ is something much bigger than the label, much more universal and inclusive. Christianity, in a way, created the modern atheist movement by being intolerant and narrow-minded and fighting wars over these labels.

All of us who love God, or higher powers, or guiding spirits, or WHATEVER THE LABEL, are actually on the same wavelength and basically in agreement.

Let's look beyond the labels, and everyone will be happier. And the atheists won't have such an easy target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 01:54 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I would like to add that many of us have a similar relationship with a divine being, but we don't call it Jesus Christ. Misunderstandings result from the idea that the name you apply to something explains what it is. No. Your Jesus Christ is something much bigger than the label, much more universal and inclusive. Christianity, in a way, created the modern atheist movement by being intolerant and narrow-minded and fighting wars over these labels.

All of us who love God, or higher powers, or guiding spirits, or WHATEVER THE LABEL, are actually on the same wavelength and basically in agreement.

Let's look beyond the labels, and everyone will be happier. And the atheists won't have such an easy target.
I may not share your belief in a divine being, but this is very well said. Would that more could see it this way. At the very least, it might move us closer to the "live and let live" ideal so many espouse.

When people start tagging their divine being of choice with specific labels and (even worse) describing its "unknowable" attributes with excruciating detail... right down to what it says, what it thinks, what it expects, and what it eats for breakfast... it becomes, as you suggest, an easy target for those who expect some backing for those claims. Forget about atheists, it also sets up a conflict with those believers who happen to use other labels and attributes, immediately raising the question of "whose god?"... and the logical answer that is "none of them."

Old 07-10-2021, 03:35 PM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo1234 View Post
The question applies to any supernatural god/God (singular or plural), worshiped under any religion or any type of non religion. It's also obviously directed towards theists. Non theists are welcome to comment on the theist replies. To all people ..... please don't abuse or denigrate anyone.

In my opinion, if you "know" a god exists that means you don't have "faith and belief" a god exists. Why? Because you "know". For example, I don't have belief and faith that planet Earth exists, I know it exists.

In my opinion, if you have "belief and faith" a god exists then that means you don't "know". Why? Because faith and belief are required because you don't "know". For example, I have faith and belief that physical aliens exist, but I don't know they exist.

So theists, which do you have ..... a "belief" that a god exists or do you "know" a god exists?
Also, if you say you "know" a god exists, will you admit you don't have "belief and faith" that a god exists?

Remember, saying "I believe I know god exists" or "I know I believe god exists" are not proper answers (and you know it).
I have long said that if it was known, if wouldn't be called faith, it would be called fact.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:41 PM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The God Entity that I perceive, comports definitively as God, and based upon direct observation is self-substantiating to unequivocally and irrefutably exist.
So...I KNOW (as certain as possible) the God I perceive exists.

Though, it is my view that all we have is 'faith and beliefs" (about anything), because nothing is infallible and could be wrong. We only work with a "Probability Scale" that the data and info we base our knowledge upon is accurate and valid.
Details, please. Photos would be a big help.

This may be it, folks. Clear evidence of god. Or, it just may be more "blow-hard".

But please, Gldn don't let my, and everyone else's, skepticism stop you, fill us in on the details of this sighting.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Details, please. Photos would be a big help.

This may be it, folks. Clear evidence of god. Or, it just may be more "blow-hard".

But please, Gldn don't let my, and everyone else's, skepticism stop you, fill us in on the details of this sighting.
After being pulled up short on the other thread...you are trying to set me up to get jammed here too, maybe even worse...while you know mensa's trigger finger might be itchy.
That's low-down...but I'm not a sucker.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:11 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Ah, come on Golden rain, A photo will do just fine, or perhaps you are just talking about the dirt beneath your feet. Regarding your statement that all we have is faith we both know that is not true...The chair I'm sitting on exists, no faith required.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Ah, come on Golden rain, A photo will do just fine, or perhaps you are just talking about the dirt beneath your feet. Regarding your statement that all we have is faith we both know that is not true...The chair I'm sitting on exists, no faith required.
First...What does "Golden Rain" refer to sans?
Here...you can even get your one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Framed-Prin...-127632-2357-0

Old 07-10-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Nope...you do not "know" that, about the chair...not absolutely. Nothing is infallible.
The "Brain in a Vat" thing.
And stuff like this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...erse-hologram/

Old 07-10-2021, 08:49 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nope...you do not "know" that, about the chair...not absolutely. Nothing is infallible.
The "Brain in a Vat" thing.
And stuff like this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...erse-hologram/
So according to you the material things I perceive only exist if I have faith that they do? I guess I'd best be careful when I go for a trip on my motorcycle then...Are you on LSD, or what?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
So according to you the material things I perceive only exist if I have faith that they do? I guess I'd best be careful when I go for a trip on my motorcycle then...Are you on LSD, or what?
No...not "according to me"...but, according to top scientists:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-about-50-50/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-a-simulation/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality