Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 09:58 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Interesting reading and topic. Thanks...

Always seems to me that no matter the source of privilege, there are those who realize they are privileged for whatever reason(s). Thankful and humble about it. Then there are those who feel they deserve to be privileged for whatever reason(s). They are the more likely to be xenophobic, sexist, homophobic, and name your phobic. AKA bigots. Doesn't really matter if it's religion related or not, but there are too many of the latter in too many religions too. Too many people who are part of the latter group period.

PS: Like you, I recently posted information I quoted from Wikipedia in another thread over in the P&OC forum, and it was deleted. Reason given: copyrighted material. Maybe a Mod can explain whether it's okay to quote Wikipedia or not? I posted the link as well.
Good post. What's more amazing to me is those who live in and as part of christian privilege and complain that they are the underdogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 10:51 AM

16,066 posts, read 7,086,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suggest you go back and read about the history of what Mormons suffered through in this country. I suggest you go back and read about the history of anti-Semitism in this country.

But again, something you missed in an earlier post is important here. Christian privilege isn't just about the gross cases of religious prejudice that occurs in this (and other) countries. It's almost more about 'an attitude' that permeates almost any culture where there is a clear majority religion which asserts its power. I've talked about seeing it in Thailand and Malaysia, as just two examples.

Another example I can give is that several christian churches in Northern Virginia once fought against giving a zoning exception to a Buddhist group to build a temple because it might make traffic in the area too heavy...while their churches already made traffic a problem. Let's face it...it had nothing to do with traffic.
I am well aware of American anti semitism. Muslims are also semites BTW. I am not denying Christian crusades, including the 21st century one on Iraq.
Look, all Americans have the privilege to exercise their right to petition the government for redress of grievances. That is not a Christian privilege. People fight nursing homes in their neighborhood, shopping malls, playgrounds. Has happened in the town I live in. The mall failed, but the nursing homes got built, two of them. Some times you win sometimes you lose, but you can always try. That is American, and i am very happy with that. Nothing to do with Christian Privilage . A neighboring town succeeded in getting the church next door from gonging their bell. The people fought, the Church fought back, people won, Christians lost. That’s how it works and I love that.
Whatever attitude you are talking about in other countries I don’t know about that. People obey the laws, majority wins. But not always.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am well aware of American anti semitism. Muslims are also semites BTW. I am not denying Christian crusades, including the 21st century one on Iraq.
Look, all Americans have the privilege to exercise their right to petition the government for redress of grievances. That is not a Christian privilege. People fight nursing homes in their neighborhood, shopping malls, playgrounds. Has happened in the town I live in. The mall failed, but the nursing homes got built, two of them. Some times you win sometimes you lose, but you can always try. That is American, and i am very happy with that. Nothing to do with Christian Privilage . A neighboring town succeeded in getting the church next door from gonging their bell. The people fought, the Church fought back, people won, Christians lost. That’s how it works and I love that.
Whatever attitude you are talking about in other countries I don’t know about that. People obey the laws, majority wins. But not always.
Right...not about christian privilege, and therefore not on topic for this thread.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Interesting reading and topic. Thanks...

Always seems to me that no matter the source of privilege, there are those who realize they are privileged for whatever reason(s). Thankful and humble about it. Then there are those who feel they deserve to be privileged for whatever reason(s). They are the more likely to be xenophobic, sexist, homophobic, and name your phobic. AKA bigots. Doesn't really matter if it's religion related or not, but there are too many of the latter in too many religions too. Too many people who are part of the latter group period.

PS: Like you, I recently posted information I quoted from Wikipedia in another thread over in the P&OC forum, and it was deleted. Reason given: copyrighted material. Maybe a Mod can explain whether it's okay to quote Wikipedia or not? I posted the link as well.
Feeling privileged is a mental attitude and most often it creates gratitude that is expressed in generosity. Unless you are a Karen, and Karens are a special species. The White privilege has to do with power to discriminate in a way that denies equal opportunity in economics, business, education, in short hinder one who is not White to achieve the same quality of life. It is the power to enact laws such as Red lining, Whites only and so on, all the audacious practices that were once legal. It is also reflected in the blissful oblivion to how white supremacy was really gained.
There really is nothing else to compare to this and no Christian can match that, unless he is also White.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Feeling privileged is a mental attitude and most often it creates gratitude that is expressed in generosity. Unless you are a Karen, and Karens are a special species. The White privilege has to do with power to discriminate in a way that denies equal opportunity in economics, business, education, in short hinder one who is not White to achieve the same quality of life. It is the power to enact laws such as Red lining, Whites only and so on, all the audacious practices that were once legal. It is also reflected in the blissful oblivion to how white supremacy was really gained.
There really is nothing else to compare to this and no Christian can match that, unless he is also White.
The topic is christian privilege, not white privilege. White privilege as a topic belongs in a different part of the forum.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:28 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It's not uncomfortable, but there can be consequences depending on ones' response. Where I used to live (a more rural area), I had a long-time workman who did a lot or restoration work on my antique house. Once when he was doing some interior work he started talking about the mission work he had done in Africa and asked me about my church "home" and invited me to his church. I thanked him but replied that I went to synagogue. Subsequently he refused to do any work for me, even though we had a project scheduled. He wouldn't even take my phone calls.
That's so weird and unfathomable to me.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:01 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Right...not about christian privilege, and therefore not on topic for this thread.
What she posted is on topic by way of explanation of the distinction between YOUR particular "itch" (Christian privilege) and other equally pervasive "privileges" and their operation in a democratic society.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The topic is christian privilege, not white privilege. White privilege as a topic belongs in a different part of the forum.
I am disputing your premise that such as Christian Privilege exists. Any documented incidents of harm? How would it be measured? Any peer reviewed researched papers? what is your evidence? It is an opinion and as such mine is as good as yours. it does not exist.

Old 09-30-2022, 02:48 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
I am disputing your premise that such as Christian Privilege exists. Any documented incidents of harm? How would it be measured? Any peer reviewed researched papers? what is your evidence? It is an opinion and as such mine is as good as yours. it does not exist.

The privilege is well documented in the cited articles.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:21 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,339,457 times
Quote:
Yoy are the one taking about harm. Not everything negative is about harm. Why dioes he need to present additional evidence for Christian privelege but you dont for all the hatred and bigotry yoy
present against atheists?

https://study.com/academy/lesson/wha...-examples.html

Others in this forum and the real world understands the concept. That you cannot even comprend the definition is on you and your closed minded opinions is on you not other posters.

Dont believe it exist? You already stated so and sidelined with problems Muslims face as well a rant agianst atheists and blaming arheists for your ill conceived war in Iraq. And I say you because you are an American. As a Canadian atheist my country did not support that war except for the right wing mainly Christians who in my area flew American flags to demostrate that support.

A Google search brings up many links for Christian privelege. And it does not mean acticely harming non Christians. The same as recognizing white privelege does not make a person a white supremists. This is a rwcognition of reality not a battle between the religious and atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality