Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2023, 01:08 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Church is the true Israel....
Oh my. What an ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 01:11 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'm amazed at how strongly anti-Christian you guys are. You will do anything in your power to look down upon Christianity.

Can you blame us? I've been on both sides of the fence. I've experienced the absolute useless of Christianity in my life. I called on God innumerable times for help. Complete waste of my time. I've seen the awesome destructiveness Christianity can wreak on a person's life--the guilt trips they put on a person to keep him under Jesus' power, threats of burning in hell forever if he tries to gets out. And the poor schmo stays in when he desperately wants to get out because he scared stiff of going to hell. Tragic.

I acknowledge that if a person lands in the gutter and can't seek any lower then Christianity can be useful--a powerful motivator to help a person make a better life. Truth be told, I'd rather live in a Christian neighborhood than an atheist one because I can pretty much trust that Christians aren't going to break into my house and ransack it looking for goods to steal, though that's never a sure bet.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It is possible to respect a person as a fellow human being while not respecting their views/opinions.

Some views/opinions are more respectable than others.
You mean like this statement you made minutes ago?: "Non-Christian cultures are disgusting, and their sensibilities are disturbing."

Old 04-19-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Jesus sits on the throne of David. His Kingdom is an everlasting one, and it is not of this world.

The prophecy appeared to fail for a time, but with Christ we see that it did not fail.
So David was not of this world? And all the time I thought he had been a human being.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:14 PM

“Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring” (Genesis 28:14).

Someone please explain how it's possible this can be remotely about Jesus.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:21 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
“Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring” (Genesis 28:14).

Someone please explain how it's possible this can be remotely about Jesus.
In the prophecy you cited, God is speaking to Abraham. The descendants of Abraham are the baptized members of the Church - the true Israel, as well as Jesus Christ Himself. It is through Christ and the Church that all peoples on earth have been, are being, and will be blessed.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Jesus sits on the throne of David. His Kingdom is an everlasting one, and it is not of this world.

The prophecy appeared to fail for a time, but with Christ we see that it did not fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So David was not of this world? And all the time I thought he had been a human being.
David's kingdom was an earthly and therefore temporary one. David's throne now belongs to Christ, whose Kingdom is not of this world and who reigns forever.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Some views/opinions are more respectable than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You mean like this statement you made minutes ago?: "Non-Christian cultures are disgusting, and their sensibilities are disturbing."
Yes. Mine is an example of a respectable view/opinion.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
In the prophecy you cited, God is speaking to Abraham. The descendants of Abraham are the baptized members of the Church - the true Israel, as well as Jesus Christ Himself. It is through Christ and the Church that all peoples on earth have been, are being, and will be blessed.

I see it this way:

Lots of Jews in the future cause Rome to march into Israel and subdue them. Jerusalem is destroyed and the Jews scattered to the four corners of the earth. They mingle with the people they settle among and because they are such good business people all the people on earth are blessed through doing business with them. See, it's not about Jesus at all. How's that?

Old 04-19-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

I see it this way:

Lots of Jews in the future cause Rome to march into Israel and subdue them. Jerusalem is destroyed and the Jews scattered to the four corners of the earth. They mingle with the people they settle among and because they are such good business people all the people on earth are blessed through doing business with them. See, it's not about Jesus at all. How's that?
"such good business people"? LOL, nice.

We'll just have to let the reader decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality