Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2023, 01:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 882,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Some more for Christians and wanna-be Christians to think about:

The Tanach states that the Messiah would:
1. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37.26-28).
2. Gather all Jews back to the ‘Land of Israel’ (Isaiah 43.5-6).
3. Usher in an era of world peace, and end of all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. (Isaiah 2:4)

Jesus did none of these. To counter his obvious failures, apologists resorted to sleight of hand. "Sure he didn't do it while on earth. But have no fear. He will do it in the future when he returns to earth to set up his Millennial Reign".

Rule No 1: Always push to "future fulfillment" what you cannot show Jesus did in the past.
Jesus is the Temple.
Jesus and the saved are the Israel of God.
The saved will live on the new earth with Jesus and there will be no more suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Mike, all non-Christian Bible scholars accept that the gospels were NOT written by eyewitnesses, they were written by anonymous individuals highly educated in Greek writing between 40 and 80 years after Jesus' crucifixion. They made tremendous errors in geography and topography which shows they'd never been to Palestine.
You think you proved that no eyewitnesses were literate in Greek? Luke was a doctor, and he wrote Luke and Acts. Paul was educated and spoke Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek.

The Apostles also had helpers who wrote things down for them.

Quote:

"Most biblical scholars say the gospels are anonymous documents by unknown authors"

All four of the canonical gospels were originally anonymous. It was only in the second century CE, when the four gospels were published a a collection that the superscriptions were added to the gospels, attributing authorship to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John respectively. This is also the time that traditions begin to appear about the authors, claiming that they were either original apostles of Jesus or close acquaintances of other well-known apostles. in spite of these attributions, most scholars do not think any of these men were the original gospel writers. None of the gospels is written in a style that suggests the authors was present at the events being narrated. Nor is it likely that the disciples of Jesus were able to write in Greek, the language in which the gospels were written. So we are left with the reality that the gospels were written by anonymous Christians decades after the events that they relate.” (1)
Dr. David M. Carr (Union Theological Seminary) & Dr Colleen M. Conway (Seton Hall University)

I'll state it again in case you missed it:

https://factsaboutreligion.wordpress...known-authors/

I can guess you'll disagree with these scholars as well. Mike, you are in no position morally to lecture me about "kicking against the goads".

Anyway, again this is all off the topic. I'd like to keep it on the prophecies.

The Christian believers to whom the books and letters were written to is what determined these books as scripture.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Trying to get the thread back on topic:

Once again:

If Genesis 3:15 can pass for a prediction of Jesus then give me any verse in the Old Testament and I will turn it into a prophecy of Jesus using the exact same reasoning apologists use for turning the above into a prediction.
So you believe in the Old Testament as the Jews who reject Jesus believe in it?

Then tell me this, if the Old Testament isn't about Jesus, then why hasn't God gave the Jews another prophet since Jesus?

Why doesn't God talk to the Jews anymore since Jesus?

Old 04-29-2023, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Supposed prophecy attributed to Jesus.

“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel” (Isaiah 7:14).

Baloney! The word is not "virgin" it is "young maid". Jesus was never called Immanuel.
A young maid is a virgin.

As for Immanuel...

Isaiah's prophecy of a sign given by God: "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,'' which is translated, "God with us.'' Matthew 1:23

Old 04-29-2023, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I hope you can see, Mike that under this theory of "typeology" words in the OT could be applied to anyone the writer wanted it to apply to.

Look at the genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke. All messed up. Apologists couldn't figure out how to explain why a supposed perfect God would make such a glaring error as dictating two different heritages for Jesus until some brainiac in the Church hit upon the idea of saying Matthew's was Joseph's lineage and Luke's was Mary's. Deviously clever, huh?
The genealogy in Luke and the one in Matthew make Jesus related to David according to Jesus’ genealogy according to Mary’s side, and according to Joseph’s side.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:00 AM

Quote:
“Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring” (Genesis 28:14).

I see it this way:

Lots of Jews in the future cause Rome to march into Israel and subdue them. Jerusalem is destroyed and the Jews scattered to the four corners of the earth. They mingle with the people they settle among and because they are such good business people all the people on earth are blessed through doing business with them. See, it's not about Jesus at all. How's that?
Those who have faith in Jesus and obey him are descendants of Abraham.

Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Galatians 3:9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Genesis 22: 15And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, 16And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Genesis 26:4-5I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws

Old 04-29-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:
How is this a prophecy about Jesus:

”Zion’s roads are in mourning,
Empty of festival pilgrims;
All her gates are deserted.
Her priests sigh,
Her maidens are unhappy—
She is utterly disconsolate!”

Seems you can take any verse in the Bible and make it a prophecy about Jesus, depending on which direction you want to twist it.
You can't do that with anyone else.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:05 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
There is no one but Jesus who fulfills all the scriptures.
Because Jesus was invented out of OT scripture, as well as other works.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:07 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
There are scriptures that are prophesies of Jesus, but also speak of a man of God, yet that man of God was not perfect and failed. Jesus is the perfect one and fulfilled the prophets and the scriptures.

1 Chronicles 17:11-14 When your days are over and you go to be with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.

That prophecy is a double prophecy. It is first fulfilled in Solomon who built the temple, but then sinned and his kingdom was broke apart a few years after his death. This prophecy looks forward to a “Son of David” who would come, who would have a kingdom without end. Jesus who was without sin is the one who fulfills this prophecy and all the others to completion.
Of course Jesus did , because David did not fulfill the 'prophecy', so the early Jewish Christians had to save the failed prophecy.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because Jesus was invented out of OT scripture, as well as other works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Of course Jesus did , because David did not fulfill the 'prophecy', so the early Jewish Christians had to save the failed prophecy.
You can find out for yourself and not have doubt if you really want to know the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality