Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 04:33 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Choices can change, particularly if something new is introduced. When it comes to the chemical reactions in our brain, we have to assume that's all there is in determining our actions. God sees all that, yes. Yet we aren't just physical beings according to Scripture. We have a spirit and soul. What role do they play in our choices, particular our choices concerning God Himself? Free will relates to our actions toward God.
Oh, according to scripture. Because if something is written down somewhere, then therefore it must be true.

It's a lazy way out of any explanation. Oh, how does free will work? It works because we have a soul. And how do we know we have a soul? Oh, because it's written down somewhere. Behold the circular reasoning. Yes, I believe what I want to believe, and claim anything I believe that doesn't make scientific or logical sense, is therefore supernatural.

Quote:
Our free will choice is to love God, or not.
Who is a nonsensical, mythological character, from ancient stories that are impossible, and ascribed with various self-contradicting properties, that vary depend on who you ask.

I can't even talk to people like you. Beyond irritating.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:36 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
The Father's full presence is outside the universe.
Interesting. I was taught that the Christian God was everywhere. Omnipresent.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:39 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Interesting. I was taught that the Christian God was everywhere. Omnipresent.
Nope, not any more. He's in exile "outside the universe". Must have gotten in trouble for something.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:43 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
We have to keep in mind how deep the ocean floor is. What if the land was evened out to a certain degree, raising the ocean floor and lowering our land masses? (In this, the ocean depths were also created during the flood)

It's obviously not possible for that scenario to have happened. Any changes in basic geology big enough to have mattered took place many millions of years ago, while humans only evolved in the past 200,000 years.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:32 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So you've created a thread where you can discuss yourself and your opinions. Got it.
can we say ego?

Old 12-14-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
So when it comes to the creator God of the Bible, Yahweh, there is only one kind. By this, in the sense we see we have mankind, different kinds of animals, different kinds of angels, etc. When it comes to the Creator, there is only one Kind. However of that Kind, there are three Persons. Jesus is the second Person of the creator Kind.

So when we look at humanity, there is only one race. However of that race, over 8 billion persons. When looking at Yahweh, its like that, only three Persons.

I don't know all the properties of my God. Many believe God knows everything, and I believe He knows everything there is to know. The difference in understanding there is, God wouldn't know something, where there is nothing to know. So take the belief God knowing Adam and Eve would disobey before He created them. I don't believe He knew, because Adam and Eve didn't exist. So when it comes to their will and what they wanted to do, that cannot exist before they actually exist. Certainly God knew they could disobey Him.

So after Adam and Eve were created, there was something for Him to know. Yet let me say this, even still when it comes to our choices and what we "will" choose, perhaps God can't officially know. The future isn't set when it comes to our free will. If it were so, there would be no need for God to be long suffering as He is, willing that no one perish. That is why God looks at our hearts. Obviously if our hearts get so hard to the point of stone, there's no changing that.

As to your last question about the flood, the water came from above and beneath the planet. Of course this is the YEC imagination, but the world before the flood was different from what it is now. Scientists would agree the world today isn't what its always been over the 4 billion year existence. So our view is rapid change within thousands of years, vs change over billions of years.

Scripture tells us God caused a wind to pass over the earth, and the water began to subside. What was this wind, what did God do? I don't know. Perhaps He tilted the earth's axis, causing the water to run down the newly formed mountain ranges created by the floodwaters.
The all-powerful god is "long suffering". Oh my goodness.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I forgot to answer this.

Concerning the creatures and even the world itself pre-flood, I can't say. Though I imagine the creatures back then (land creatures and flying creatures), looked different from the creatures on the earth right now. In that all the creatures on earth now, evolved from the creatures that were on the ark. So the ancestors of the penguins may not have wobbled all the way from Antarctica. In fact, I imagine in Noah's day, there was only one landmass.
You imagine that, do you? Imagine-ation being the key word here.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
So when it comes to the creator God of the Bible, Yahweh, there is only one kind. By this, in the sense we see we have mankind, different kinds of animals, different kinds of angels, etc. When it comes to the Creator, there is only one Kind. However of that Kind, there are three Persons. Jesus is the second Person of the creator Kind.

So when we look at humanity, there is only one race. However of that race, over 8 billion persons. When looking at Yahweh, its like that, only three Persons.
Sorry but it's not clear.
Is Jesus God or God's son?

Old 12-15-2023, 12:02 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The all-powerful god is "long suffering". Oh my goodness.
Innocent child: *randomly gets cancer and dies*

People like OP: "Won't someone ever think of poor God??"

Old 12-15-2023, 04:13 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,672,179 times
How many years since our father Adam was created?
How many prophets were sent?
Who is the first prophet and who is the last?
How many holy books were revealed and what are their names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.