Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times

Advertisements

Um....garlic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
Strange for a non-Christian to be quoting the Bible...
Not at all. IME, most Pagans and atheists know the Christian Bible better than most people who believe in it.
But then, I can quote Heinlein and Monty Python too.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:14 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,689 times
Thanks for the John Safran youtube video. My husband will love it. My in-laws not so much. No worries I didn't forward to them.
My husband is still on the rolls, I am sure my son will be baptized by my sister-in-laws family. Do they wait until your actually dead to baptize the dead? Or do they go ahead and baptize non believer family members?

Funny story, we received a letter from the Ward here and we were assigned to clean the bathrooms on weekend in DEC. My husband works in a very *urban* area and has lots of work assoc who would love to show up at the church in the hoopty and announce "Were here to clean the bathrooms." I would love to see the look on their white bread faces!!

It's true about non-believers knowing the bible better. My husband was in seminary for 4 years, Bishop's kid, scripture chase champion. None of the religious guys like to get into discussions with him because he can back up what he's saying and they can't.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,608 times
Start acting like a crazy person "Yeah....I'd love to be a mormon....." roll your eyes, act spooked, talk gibberish, make weird faces.....and then ask "Can I come home with you?" Bet they run for their lives...lol

Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Today I posted no tresspassing signs. We have a corner lot with a 4-way stop, it's flat and wide open, and folks drive slow. There isn't a soul in the area that doesn't know exactly what is up just by those highly visible signs going up.

The beauty of one, the brightest and most prominent, is that you have to reach around it to get a common irrigation key, a right noone would mess with, and given the makeup of the town, LDS or not, who these signs are meant for is crystal clear.

The LDS already know we've had enough, and have been told to stand down, and everyone else is probably chuckling, as we've been here just about long enough to have gotten the "problem."

Last edited by norcalmom101; 11-08-2008 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Someone help me out with this: "What's the deal with their 'uniforms' and their accessories being identical for both missionaries?" If that doesn't speak to their regimentation and being offputting, I don't know what does.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Someone help me out with this: "What's the deal with their 'uniforms' and their accessories being identical for both missionaries?" If that doesn't speak to their regimentation and being offputting, I don't know what does.
Cult

Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
Just whip out camera and ask them if they would like to pose for a "Hustler" magazine.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,502 times
At least in your home, you have some protection - you dont have to answer the door. When in Sydney, they stay in an apt complex near where I work. This is also located near a large park which is often utilized by workers at lunchtime. (Hyde Pk, if anyone's interested). I have seen them stop and talk to people who are just sittin' there eating their lunch..or trying to. I've also seen beggars do the same thing, and it s***s me, it's happened to me too. I deal with the public all day, lunch is my time to release some stress by looking at the trees, reading a book, whatever.
But they sort of have a 'captive audience', and it is much harder to a) avoid them, and b) be polite, especially if I've had a hard morning. But I do try and be nice. I find it best just to say, 'no but thanks, have a good day'.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,689 times
Yes, I can just slam the door. What's been a life saver for us is my husband works a lot of hours and if the missionaries are both men, they are not allowed to come into the house if the "man" isn't home. If he is here, he answers with a beer in his hand and asks them if they really want to debate their religion. They answer "no." I always want to ask if they have their secret underwear on. LOL! In a public place you are stuck. At that point I would have to be rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality