Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM

328 posts, read 566,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does showing up to the door naked keep the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses away? I've heard people joke about that. I mean, if you're inside your threshold, you're inside your home and it's no crime to walk around naked while in your home. Why not answer the door in that "mode?" BTW, to those of you who evangelize, have you had that happen to you? I think it would be more humorous than shocking.
No, none of the things suggested here will have any impact whatsoever on how often the missionaries come by. Most missionaries spend somewhere between 1 to 4 months in a town before being transferred elsewhere. It is highly unlikely that you will ever be visited twice by the same missionaries. They have seen pretty much everything, and if you show up naked or drunk or in costume or making lewd suggestions, it will just give them one more interesting story to tell in years to come, that's all. They probably never make any kind of note about a house that shouldn't be visited, and if they did, the next missionaries probably wouldn't find or read the note.

The missionaries are looking for people who are willing to listen to their message, and they don't want to waste their time any more than you want to waste your time. The vast majority of missionaries will ask once or twice to see if something they have to say might interest you, and if not, they are just as anxious to leave your door as you are for them to leave. Most are pleasant young men and women, so if you want to chat for a bit, most are glad to do so even if it isn't about religion.

I've done missionary work in the US and I was a missionary in Japan, and I frequently had old women show up at the door with nothing on from the waste up. I've seen naked children and adults show up at the door. I've seen people with weapons show up at the door. I've had people scream at me (usually about WWII). I've had people come to the door crying. I've seen nice, polite people and really rude people. I'm guessing my experiences were similar to most missionaries and to those of most anyone going door to door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Nice way to get mormons to leave us alone?

Ever noticed how people who want to tell you all about their religion don't want to listen to a single word about yours?

Try this. It works!

When _________ (fill in the blank: mormons, jehovah's witnesses, etc.) show up at your door, act very interested. Interrupt their presentation often with observations from your own viewpoint. Steadfastly refuse to concede any point to their faith.

You'll be marked off their list.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ever noticed how people who want to tell you all about their religion don't want to listen to a single word about yours?
No, I haven't. I tend to invite in those visiting people and listen very carefully to them. I really enjoy learning about other religions.

Quote:
act very interested
Ah. You mean to be deceitful. You want to be dishonest about the situation and to deceive someone. I like your style...

Quote:
You'll be marked off their list.
Mormons don't keep such lists. You'll be visited again over the next several years by someone else who wants to talk to you.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
No, I haven't. I tend to invite in those visiting people and listen very carefully to them. I really enjoy learning about other religions.

Ah. You mean to be deceitful. You want to be dishonest about the situation and to deceive someone. I like your style...
Oh, stow your phoney outrage.

Religion is based on deceit. Well, that and fear.

Quote:
Mormons don't keep such lists. You'll be visited again over the next several years by someone else who wants to talk to you.
Then I'll get to put my plan into action again.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Oh, stow your phoney outrage.
No outrage on my part. Just amazement that a person recommends blatant lying purely to deceive and harm. I was saddened.

Quote:
Religion is based on deceit. Well, that and fear.
Interesting. Even if true (which I don't accept), it just means that you are willing to lie to a person and be dishonest in order to harm and cause distress even though the other person is acting in good faith and trying to do something he thinks will help you.

It is quite sad. Most civilized people rely on kindness and bluntness when faced with sincere but (seemingly) misguided people who are trying to be kind. Your response is, shall we say, a step or two down from that.

Quote:
Then I'll get to put my plan into action again.
Yes, you have the opportunity to behave as immorally and rude as you can to as many people as you want. That, too, is permitted in our free society. If we all are, as some have suggested, nothing more than the sum of our thoughts and actions, you must be developing into quite an "interesting" person. Is this way of dealing with people with whom you disagree something that you hope becomes common in our society?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:

Actually, the idea is pretty sound. They are walking around promoting their religion, why can't I promote mine as well? I see it as an opportunity to preach my own religions gospel, just as they see it as their opportunity to do the same. I have met many missionaries, and most are very nice. I would never do anything blatantly rude or mean to them as long as they respect my boundaries.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, the idea is pretty sound. They are walking around promoting their religion, why can't I promote mine as well? I see it as an opportunity to preach my own religions gospel, just as they see it as their opportunity to do the same. I have met many missionaries, and most are very nice. I would never do anything blatantly rude or mean to them as long as they respect my boundaries.
I have absolutely no problem with your promoting your own religion or trying to teach the missionaries what you believe.

What I objected to was the statement that someone should be dishonest and intentionally pretend to be interested in order to deceive people into talking with you, all the while not really intending to listen to them or even give them a chance to talk. THAT behavior is both rude and unethical. It is equivalent to the missionaries pretending to be taking a government survey and then once in your home switching into religion mode.

If you don't want to listen to what they have to say, you can certainly respond with something like, "I'm not interested in what you believe, but I'd like to tell you about what I believe. Would you like to come in and talk?"

Such a thing is honest and lets them decide if they want to take the time to hear you.

Or you could say something like, "I'd be happy to listen to what you have to say, but I would then like to have you stay for about 10 minutes or so to listen to what I have to say." Again, that is honest and straightforward.

I'm glad to hear that you aren't rude to people. That is certainly a plus.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHarris View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That must be very difficult to deal with. I'm also glad that you have now made it clear that you have been baptized into the LDS church, even if you are not active.

If you are receiving frequent visits, it is all part of shepherds "leaving the 99 to seek after the 1"

Though I hate to say it, if you have your membership revoked (this can be done with a letter by you... just ask your local LDS ward how to do it... or look it up on the net), you will be off of the membership list and the visits to your house will decrease dramatically (provided there are no other members living at your home as well).

I wish you the best and hope everything works out with your family situation. Sounds like there are a lot of other things going on in your life right now. Though many "Mormons" near you may annoy you, I believe that many of them probably have primarily love for you.

I have awesome mormons in my life. It is the obviously off the hook solicitors who are the problem, as my mormon friends agree, and who have turned me and my kids further from the church than we ever were when left in peace. As for those who cannot leave us in peace in this thread, I repeat: NO Solicitors.

Maybe it will work this time.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:

That mormons don't keep lists is a straight up lie. Anyone here who has any affiliation with the church (and is honest) can vouch for that. Please go start your own thread and stop arguing about the validity of the assistance being sought in this thread in the first place - assistance to protect people from people like you.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM

If they start coming by again, I am just going to get right to the point and ask them if they want to come in and have sex. That should do the trick, any of them that don't have lists will for sure when I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality