Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM

328 posts, read 566,033 times

Advertisements

I find Norcalmom101's complaints to be unbelievable given what she has posted so far. It is unlikely that a single door will see the LDS missionaries more than a few times per year (if that) during the normal course of their going door-to-door. The problem seems to be the Norcalmom101 or someone in her household is a member of the Church. When someone is a member of the Church, the visits are probably on the order of 0 to 4 times per month, with the most common probably 1 or 2 times per month.

If Norcalmom101 doesn't want to be visited by members of the Church, she can remove herself from the membership roles and move on with her life. She'll fall back into the once-every-3-to-18-month category of random visits by missionaries. If she has a NO SOLICITOR sign up, the missionaries should respect that. But if she has members of her household who are members of the Church (which seems to be the case here), then that sign definitely doesn't apply to them at all and they are fully justified in ignoring it. But if she wants to stay a member and doesn't want to be visited, then the local people should be more respectful and have only minimal contact with her.

This nasty shrieking about visits is nothing more than a display of bitterness and anger, an anger and intolerance that is entirely coloring her version of the facts. It is sad to see someone so emotional and bitter about something really pretty trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Paul, are you being intentionally obnoxious, rude and disrespectful? Perhaps you should read the op and realize you don't have anything to contribute to addressing it. If I were you I would start your own thread to address the issues which you seem to be bent on interjecting - inappropriately - in this thread.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM

And btw, the good lord has a special place in hell reserved for any fool who thinks this particular poster a liar, ever. Have a nice day (in hell).

Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM

143 posts, read 415,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
And btw, the good lord has a special place in hell reserved for any fool who thinks this particular poster a liar, ever. Have a nice day (in hell).
Paul is definitely wrong-no bitterness here.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
This has gotten real angry.

The whole ides behind the thread, in my mind, was how to STOP missionaries from coming to your door (LDS, JW, any type of new fundy group, etc.) Your home is your castle.

That being said, iamman, is that LDS are viewed as the most aggressive at salesmanship to people who are obviously modernized and can probably think for themselves (like while getting out of their car wearing a suit or living in a decent neighborhood). I find it offensive.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamman View Post
Bitter, absolutely, go somewhere for advice on being stalked by zealots and get....stalked by a zealot. Nice.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM

143 posts, read 415,517 times
Quote:
Bitter, absolutely, go somewhere for advice on being stalked by zealots and get....stalked by a zealot. Nice.
Just thought it was an astute observation

Anyway, when asking about Mormons, you shouldn't be surprised if a Mormon answers.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Paul, are you being intentionally obnoxious, rude and disrespectful?
I don't believe I've been any of those things.

Quote:
Perhaps you should read the op and realize you don't have anything to contribute to addressing it. If I were you I would start your own thread to address the issues which you seem to be bent on interjecting - inappropriately - in this thread.
You are complaining that the Mormons visit you when you don't want them to. Others here chimed in with various stories and claims.

I have always said that the Mormons should treat you and others with respect and that they should not visit when they know you don't want to be visited. The issue is more complex when you have (and I don't know that you do) a difference in opinion between parents about the children being visited.

I've made it clear, however, that despite protestations here to the contrary, it is almost always legal for them to knock on one's door. Our society generally protects such behavior as long as it is done without breaking some basic rules. In fact, the right of people to talk to other people about what they believe, whether religion or political, is a fundamental freedom in our country.

I have also pointed out that your story and complaint don't seem to match the issues that others have brought up--issues that became the topic of the thread since the OP. Everyone else here has been complaining about the LDS missionaries randomly coming by their homes every so often. You, however, apparently joined the Mormon Church. You apparently have stayed a member of the Mormon Church. Your children apparently still have membership records in the Mormon Church. Your husband (as bad and evil as he might be) and his family apparently are members of the Mormon Church. I doubt very much that you are being hassled on a daily basis, and probably not more than once or twice a month, possibly a little more. And the "hassling" is probably taking the form of having them do nothing more than invite you and/or your children to attend the church that you have voluntarily joined and in which you and your children seem to maintain a membership.

If you hate Mormons that much, there are things you can do (legal things, not the illegal stuff that some people have suggested here) that can limit contact. I agree that people should be respectful of each other and not try to force their beliefs on each other. But I strongly disagree with any sentiment that wants to prohibit the orderly and infrequent contacting of people to ask if the listener is interested.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The funny thing about this is that I'm not a bit upset or emotional over anything said here and I haven't been from the beginning. I've just been coolly responding with facts and raising relevant concerns when other posters have suggested some things that I think are incorrect.

However, Norcalmom101 seems to be fairly brittle and extremely emotional. Her definition of stalking seems to include a relatively calm exchange of a dozen posts or so over a week on a single thread. If she thinks that interacting on a voluntary, public message board to the tune of several posts a day on a single thread for a week is "stalking," then no wonder she has such intense emotion about people from her church contacting her and her children every so often.

Not only that, but she's here anonymously while I am not. Such a situation hardly seems worthy of the term "stalking."

Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Just thought it was an astute observation

Anyway, when asking about Mormons, you shouldn't be surprised if a Mormon answers.
Of course. She came anonymously onto a public message board and began to complain about how a certain religious group was acting. Not only that, but she was bad-mouthing that entire group, making generalized statements about how bad they all were. And when someone from the group appears, she takes great offense and starts hurling insults at him personally.

What a wonder to behold! Oh, the joys of the Internet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality