Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,513,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
What I'm wondering is why it's always the doctors who are targets. If any abortion is murder, then the mothers are just as guilty. Perhaps they should be killed, too. And I'm really surprised more anti-abortionists aren't doing this sort of thing. After all, if the government makes it legal to commit real, honest-to-god murder, then the outrage should go well beyond legal processes and become an all-out, violent, revolutionary overthrow of the government. I mean, if this is murder we're talking about then simply occasionally protesting and writing one's congressman doesn't seem like a very strong response to something so completely outrageous. I would think there would be a massive nationwide uprising the likes of which no one has ever seen before.
Hah, you beat me by 2 minutes!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Although I'm pro-choice, I think this raises a legitimate question:

If you believe that a person is killing children, and the government refuses to stop them, do you have the moral right to stop it yourself? Do you have a moral obligation to stop a person from killing a child, if the government refuses to act? And if killing the Dr. is the only way to prevent the Dr. from killing children, do you have the right and/or obligation to do so?

It doesn't suprise me that a person killed an abortion doctor. It suprises me that it doesn't happen more often. Obviously, I don't view the aborted fetus as a child. But if I did, I wonder how far I would go to protect these children.

I guess I have a question for the pro-lifers out there: If you really believe these are children being killed, why don't you do more to stop it?
If I murdered the abortion doctors, how does that make me any better than them?

You are right though, I for one should be doing more about it.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,513,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
If I murdered the abortion doctors, how does that make me any better than them?
Well along with the right to "self-defense" comes the right of "defense of others". Most people would believe that it is moral to kill a person who is about to murder children. That saving the victims of murder justifies killing the murderer.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,942 times
Quote:
Well along with the right to "self-defense" comes the right of "defense of others". Most people would believe that it is moral to kill a person who is about to murder children. That saving the victims of murder justifies killing the murderer.
I do agree...if someone was about to murder my children I would try to murder them first. Now you have my mind doing flip flops.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I agree the way to go about it is through the law. But we will never accept it, we will continue to fight against it til the day we die. Something you'll have to accept.

If the baby is going to die a natural death shortly after its birth, why not just let that happen? Why deliver its head, stab it in the neck with scissors, open it up, and suck its brains out? Let it die peacefully.

Oh, and him not being a murderer is only your opinion, just as it's my opinion that he was one.
There are some situations where letting the pregnancy continue will cause more harm emotionally and physically. If the baby is going to die I don't see why anyone besides the parents should have a say in how and when it happens. Maybe the woman can't face weeks/months more knowing she would have to go through labor and most likely a c-section before watching her child die.

PS. Sometimes the brains were not present, hence the problem

Last edited by Ceece; 06-01-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,768,274 times
Quote:
Hah, you beat me by 2 minutes!
Hah! We were thinking the same thing at the same moment.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,725,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I think some of the pro-choice atheist crowd need to step back for a moment and see that the comments they are making in accusation of the anti abortion crowd is similar to the rhetoric we atheists often hear from Christians who list atheistic leaders that have done bad things.

The murderer of this doctor was an extremist, that point is obvious. However, not all pro-life/anti abortion folks are extremists, just like not all atheists support genocide. See where I'm going there?

As an atheist that is also opposed to elective abortions, I certainly see no reason for the doctor to have been killed. He was not deserving of death, he had committed no crime, and I am sympathetic for his family and friends who have lost a loved one. I do not have followers, but if I did, I would most certainly tell them that an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
You make a good point, but the problem is that there are MANY right here on this forum who have openly celebrated the murder of this doctor.

For someone like kdbrich or the official organizations to attempt to speak for all "anti-abortion" advocates in condemning this violence is too little too late.

The glee of this cold-blooded gunning down in church has already slipped out from far too many people for me to think it's just extremists who find delight in this murder.

They, like the rest of us, weigh the value of one life over another. We accept over 40,000 people killed a year in cars because there is a perceived greater benefit to society in depending on autos. The same is true of abortions and wars and all the other ways we sanction killing.

The bottom line is these anti-abortion advocates do not stand on any moral high ground with regard to cherishing life any more than the rest of us, and perhaps even less as liberals tend to fight against wars, ecological destruction, death penalty, automobile dependence, and many other aspects of our society that sanction killing.

That is the ultimate failing of the so-called "pro-life" argument.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,595,544 times
Quote:
I don't want to debate the issue...I don't want to get into it. I just want to draw attention to the fact that Pro-lifers have denounced it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Enough "pro-life" people on this very forum have celebrated the murder of this doctor to make it clear that, while they are doing what they must publicly, behind closed doors there is a great celebration of this murder going on.

Just read through the threads on this forum if you doubt me. It is disgusting.

Apparently there is little consensus on the issue.
No doubt this tragedy will serve to further splinter the various "prolife' factions.
Certainly there are enough self-proclaimed "prolifers" running around crowing about how pleased they are with Tiller's murder- on the net, in the media, and in real life- to render any sweeping generalizations effectively null and void.
Some prolifers are happy Tiller was murdered. Some aren't.
It doesn't make sense for any prolifer, in the face of this state of affairs, to appoint themselves spokesperson for all prolifers, and announce to the world that prolifers are/aren't happy that Tiller was murdered.
Some obviously are. Some, equally obviously, aren't.
They would prefer that he had been executed by the state.
Believe it or not, the vast majority of prochoicers are aware that not all prolifers are happy that Tiller was shot down in church.
We're also aware that there isn't any consensus on the issue within the prolife movement at this time.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM

237 posts, read 871,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Are you serious? So, you condone hunting down and killing those with whom you disagree? Wow. This man had a wife, children, how can you be so heartless?
he became a murderer when he killed that man. I'm against murder even capital punishment. I'm against what both of them are guilty of murder.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,391,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Apparently there is little consensus on the issue.
No doubt this tragedy will serve to further splinter the various "prolife' factions.
Certainly there are enough self-proclaimed "prolifers" running around crowing about how pleased they are with Tiller's murder- on the net, in the media, and in real life- to render any sweeping generalizations effectively null and void.
Some prolifers are happy Tiller was murdered. Some aren't.
It doesn't make sense for any prolifer, in the face of this state of affairs, to appoint themselves spokesperson for all prolifers, and announce to the world that prolifers are/aren't happy that Tiller was murdered.
Some obviously are. Some, equally obviously, aren't.
They would prefer that he had been executed by the state.
Believe it or not, the vast majority of prochoicers are aware that not all prolifers are happy that Tiller was shot down in church.
We're also aware that there isn't any consensus on the issue within the prolife movement at this time.
Aren't there any pro-lifers who are against the death penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.