Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't want to debate the issue...I don't want to get into it. I just want to draw attention to the fact that Pro-lifers have denounced it.

Pro-Life Leaders Denounce Murder of Abortion Doctor George Tiller - Political News - FOXNews.com
Your post would be more accurate if you had said "some Pro-lifers have denounced it", and you could probably argue for most. You can speak for yourself, and I do not doubt your words. There are many in this forum who disagree with the murder, but a few approve (see the first two posts of this thread for example). And the same can be said for the outside world.

Though of course spokesmen of major anti-abortion groups, whatever their private opinions may be, will not publicly approve. It damages their image (the murder itself is damaging anyway, as a guy from your link said), and I imagine publicly encouraging murder is illegal in the USA.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Your post would be more accurate if you had said "some Pro-lifers have denounced it", and you could probably argue for most. You can speak for yourself, and I do not doubt your words. There are many in this forum who disagree with the murder, but a few approve (see the first two posts of this thread for example). And the same can be said for the outside world.

Though of course spokesmen of major anti-abortion groups, whatever their private opinions may be, will not publicly approve. It damages their image (the murder itself is damaging anyway, as a guy from your link said), and I imagine publicly encouraging murder is illegal in the USA.

Many of us are happy that he won't be aborting babies anymore. But for the most part most of us are very saddened by the outcome--and the fact that he was murdered. Christians are against murder. I'm sorry if some knuckleheads are acting otherwise--but by and by, we are all very saddened by it. Fact of the matter is, he is likely in hell right now.

I'll absolutely agree that his murder will only serve to hurt the cause. He is going be cast as a martyr now, which is sickening. Someone will likely take his place.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:55 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,635,590 times
In hell? Really? He was a family man, a doctor, and was serving in his church as he was slaughtered.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM

271 posts, read 251,785 times
All this claptrap does not change the fact that the radical right fundamentalists gin up hate against people they do not like, Does any one remember Matthew Sheppard? And how a couple of so called Christian haters of gays took him beat him and then tied him to die on a fence post? Then all those Hagee types said that they had nothing to do with it just as the same hate spewers try to distance themselves from the man that shot tiller. Any of you who have railed against a group of people weather it is Abortion Drs, or Gays or immigrants, and someone has been empowered by hate speech has blood on their hands. You can not on one hand sit in a church such as Hagee's and listen to speeches that say Katrina was gods revenge on a Gay pride parade and then say that you love your fellow man or you had nothing to do with the mentally ill that kill on the basis of that same hate speech. When the people of the towns were paraded through the death camps after the war, they tried to say they had no idea or were not part of any of it. But because they did nothing when their leaders preached hate they were part of it. This is why they drew contempt from the soldiers and officers that liberated the camps, and these people would have been punished very hard if they stood up, but you people who could just stand up and maybe receive a small amount of ridicule shrink back into lumps on quivering jelly, or worse yet raise your fist like so many hate mongers at the so called Tea bagging party’s and say, succeed from the union, or like some did at the campaign rallies "Kill Him" "He is a terrorist" or "He is an Arab" You are part of the hate that ends up in violence and then when it does happen you step aside with your hands in your pockets like you are a simple bystander. Those of you that do this make me sick.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
he became a murderer when he killed that man. I'm against murder even capital punishment. I'm against what both of them are guilty of murder.
I'm confused- both of them? Tiller never murdered anyone. He was a doctor who performed medical procedures as allowed by law. He was heavily investigated multiple times, yet no charges were brought because he broke no laws.

I understand we disagree on the issue of abortion. I get that, but calling it murder does not make it so. It certainly doesn't justify what happened to him.

Last edited by akm4; 06-02-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
In hell? Really? He was a family man, a doctor, and was serving in his church as he was slaughtered.

He was practicing gross sin daily. You don't get to heaven by being a family man and a doctor, or serving as an usher in a church---that's not what qualifies you. You are qualified for heaven by faith in Christ. A true faith manifests itself in a holy life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
All this claptrap does not change the fact that the radical right fundamentalists gin up hate against people they do not like, Does any one remember Matthew Sheppard? And how a couple of so called Christian haters of gays took him beat him and then tied him to die on a fence post?

As with Tiller, I would suggest the rednecks that did that were not Christians. They were religious--but they obviously weren't acting as a Christian should. Yes, we remember Matthew Sheppard. What happened to him was horrible.
Quote:

Then all those Hagee types said that they had nothing to do with it just as the same hate spewers try to distance themselves from the man that shot tiller.

Hagee didn't murder Sheppard.
Quote:
Any of you who have railed against a group of people weather it is Abortion Drs, or Gays or immigrants, and someone has been empowered by hate speech has blood on their hands. You can not on one hand sit in a church such as Hagee's and listen to speeches that say Katrina was gods revenge on a Gay pride parade and then say that you love your fellow man or you had nothing to do with the mentally ill that kill on the basis of that same hate speech.

I'm sorry, but you can't blame Hagee for Sheppard's death. He doesn't preach violence. I'm not a big fan of the man...but that's just a big jump to make there.
Quote:
When the people of the towns were paraded through the death camps after the war, they tried to say they had no idea or were not part of any of it. But because they did nothing when their leaders preached hate they were part of it. This is why they drew contempt from the soldiers and officers that liberated the camps, and these people would have been punished very hard if they stood up, but you people who could just stand up and maybe receive a small amount of ridicule shrink back into lumps on quivering jelly, or worse yet raise your fist like so many hate mongers at the so called Tea bagging party’s and say, succeed from the union, or like some did at the campaign rallies "Kill Him" "He is a terrorist" or "He is an Arab" You are part of the hate that ends up in violence and then when it does happen you step aside with your hands in your pockets like you are a simple bystander. Those of you that do this make me sick.
I'm certainly not suggesting that it was right to murder anyone.

But what's a "Tea bagging party"? I didn't partake of any such thing, nor did anyone that I know of.

Last edited by kdbrich; 06-02-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
He was practicing gross sin daily.
That's our impasse. I don't consider his medical practice as "gross sin". I respect your position, I just don't agree.

Thankfully we can discuss our differences here. How an exchange of ideas turns into murder is a mystery to me. All in the name of life and Christ? Sick.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
Quote:
I'm confused- both of them? Tiller never murdered anyone. He was a doctor who performed medical procedures as allowed by law. He was heavily investigated multiple times, yet no charges were brought because he broke no laws.

I understand we disagree on the issue of abortion. I get that, but calling it murder does not make it so. It certainly doesn't justify what happened to him.
Tiller never murdered anyone according to man's law. He did according to God's.

Most of us on here are not trying to justify it in any way. There is no justification for that man shooting him. He was wrong, he sinned, and he will answer to God for it.

Quote:
That's our impasse. I don't consider his medical practice as "gross sin". I respect your position, I just don't agree.

Thankfully we can discuss our differences here. How an exchange of ideas turns into murder is a mystery to me. All in the name of life and Christ? Sick.
You're right. It is sick. The shooter is a sick man. I have a question though. Has it even been said that the shooter was a Christian?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
All this claptrap does not change the fact that the radical right fundamentalists gin up hate against people they do not like, Does any one remember Matthew Sheppard? And how a couple of so called Christian haters of gays took him beat him and then tied him to die on a fence post? Then all those Hagee types said that they had nothing to do with it just as the same hate spewers try to distance themselves from the man that shot tiller. Any of you who have railed against a group of people weather it is Abortion Drs, or Gays or immigrants, and someone has been empowered by hate speech has blood on their hands. You can not on one hand sit in a church such as Hagee's and listen to speeches that say Katrina was gods revenge on a Gay pride parade and then say that you love your fellow man or you had nothing to do with the mentally ill that kill on the basis of that same hate speech. When the people of the towns were paraded through the death camps after the war, they tried to say they had no idea or were not part of any of it. But because they did nothing when their leaders preached hate they were part of it. This is why they drew contempt from the soldiers and officers that liberated the camps, and these people would have been punished very hard if they stood up, but you people who could just stand up and maybe receive a small amount of ridicule shrink back into lumps on quivering jelly, or worse yet raise your fist like so many hate mongers at the so called Tea bagging party’s and say, succeed from the union, or like some did at the campaign rallies "Kill Him" "He is a terrorist" or "He is an Arab" You are part of the hate that ends up in violence and then when it does happen you step aside with your hands in your pockets like you are a simple bystander. Those of you that do this make me sick.
Hagee is not a leader of mine. I do not like the man, and I didn't even know he said that about Katrina until I just read your post. I do not agree with him.

Although I have never "railed against" a certain group of people, I would not put abortion doctors and gays in the same category. Gays are not killing anyone, or hurting anyone. Big difference.

If you consider me speaking my mind about abortion being murder as "hate", then I guess I make you sick, and will continue to do so.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Tiller never murdered anyone according to man's law. He did according to God's.

You're right. It is sick. The shooter is a sick man. I have a question though. Has it even been said that the shooter was a Christian?
The Bible discusses abortion directly, or are you applying the 6th commandment?

As for Roeder's affiliations, it has been reported he identified himself as a Christian, holding pray-ins and writing opinions as a man of faith against Dr. Tiller. He also had Operation Rescue ties. Allegedly they found a phone number for OR in his car at the time of his arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.