Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,761,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by our founding truth View Post
Wow....really? The framers designed our government system so that we could not change and modify laws?>

Divine Law is not to be changed by legislative action.
We are not discussing "divine law" but the laws of the US. If you truly believe that "divine law" says homosexuality is a 'crime' (sin), then why don't you trust God to deal with the sinners in His own time?
I would suggest you read Matt. 7:1-5 and then Matt. 22:17-21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,678,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Sin is sin. We live in an age of Grace - at least in non-islamic countries. We are free to choose. But Gods ways are still the best and the right ways. He loves people and wants them to KNOW him on a personal level - but our sin gets in the way. In the Old Testament the Law stood - people who commited adultery/murder/sodomy were stoned to death. This was because God wanted to eradicate sin from his people - so he could have a relationship with them and protect them from the ongoing effect of sin which is like a disease . Jesus came to this earth - God incarnate - taking on himself, the sins of those who believe on him and follow him - he became sin for us. Therefore the LAW was satisfied and Gods Justice which could not tolerate Sin. Gods Grace became available to all people. Its still our choice though. We are free to continue sinning - or we can turn away from our sin ask God to forgive us through Christ Jesus. He makes us new creatures - spiritually reborn, able to have a relationship with our creator because the SIN bit has been taken care of. So should we continue to sin - in homosexuality, adultery, theft etc.....??? NO! But we have the freedom to choose.

The OP asks if homosexuality should be punished by death. It is a path that leads to death - spiritual death. All sin leads to death. The Law of the land does not punish everything that is against Gods Law - there is so much anyway!!!!

I think that people should continue to have the freedom to choose - but Christians should have the freedom to warn those who are lost and on a road that leads to hell - that that is their destination, unless they turn to the Lord with all their hearts. God can turn lives around. He can wash away any sin. He can make us new. He is the Lawgiver - he's the Grace provider.
Christians need to pick on other sinners besides homosexuals. Enough already!Let them go after the adulterers and thieves in their own community.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Christians need to pick on other sinners besides homosexuals. Enough already!Let them go after the adulterers and thieves in their own community.
And gluttons...probably the biggest unrecognized sin in the church! God doesn't change its mind right? But hey when you are so busy pointing out other peoples sins, you can rarely see your own.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,678,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

No, lack of personal responsibility and lack of protection causes diseases and death. So goes for anyone on this planet.

It will take a lot more to destroy the Earth then presence of gay people.

Stopping population?? That would make Earth Flourish beautifully. A major benefit if i may....

It is sin in the eyes of a sinful, are you the one??
As long as the "Religious Right" teaches abstinence, gay people don't stand a chance the stopping population.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,367,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
And gluttons...probably the biggest unrecognized sin in the church! God doesn't change its mind right? But hey when you are so busy pointing out other peoples sins, you can rarely see your own.
The time is close when genetic researchers will document the DNA combination which leads to homosexuality and than the bigoted reaction to something that is natural in nature will fall under the heading of being a common bigot. I would hope most of us can see that coming and avoid the embarrassment of having treated a large percentage of humanity poorly for no good reason. There is too much confusion about ancient sins when the basis of our system is secular law. It is time to chuck the rest in the trash.
Just for the record Gluttony dose not include hording cheese.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,815,132 times
Quote:
I always thought about that whenever I see so many overweight people pack the pews in the churches.
I wonder why they don't preach about gluttony but I doubt many pastors would do that in the South since many of them are overweight themselves.

I would also like for churchgoers to ask their preachers to live a more humble life. My school had us take some exams in a church [which I wasn't comfortable with...] and I remember seeing a REALLY nice Cadillac in front of the church parked in the Preacher's spot... Is it really necessary for the pastor to have a special parking spot? Seeing the way some of these preachers live makes me kind of want to start up my own church...

Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,653,488 times
Purplelove08 wrote:
Quote:
I always thought about that whenever I see so many overweight people pack the pews in the churches.
I wonder why they don't preach about gluttony but I doubt many pastors would do that in the South since many of them are overweight themselves.
I've noticed how much fatter people are in the South since I moved here over a year ago and I know that the Bible does mention something about gluttony but I see it as a health issue as opposed to a moral issue. Now when it comes to anything that has to do with sex, that's when those who are more extreme in their religious views tend to really get worked up. Of course there are sexual acts that are clearly wrong such as rape, molesting a child or anything that causes someone harm and is not between consenting adults. Of course many Christians will still say one thing and do another. I have no doubt that probably millions of Christians worldwide denounce homosexuality in public and then sneak around and engage in homosexual activity because they're really gay but just can't face up to it or try to understand it.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,517,716 times
Quote:

This is a very good point.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,410,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Don't read much, do you?

It's not immoral. It does recount some immoral things that some people did, but the overall message is the most wonderful thing in history.
Speaking of not reading much! Sorry kd....yes the message is "I am your master....love me or burn in hell...." forced love is not love.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM

109 posts, read 249,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?
Were would it stop? This is an imperfect world. This world will just continue to grow further and further apart from Christ till he comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality