Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Christian view on the dinosaur.

I have read Genesis cover to cover, several times.

Dinosaur isn't mentioned anywhere.

If this is what you want to hear, you have it.
The bible does mention "leviathan", a monstrous sea creature mentioned in the old testament. This could possibly have been a reference to dinosaurs. I don't think the bible goes back millions of years, so there shouldn't be any direct references to creatures that for the most part lived millions of years ago. But, perhaps there were remnants, such as this "leviathan" And come on, you don't expect them to actually use the words we use today to describe what they saw then. So much is lost in translation into our feeble language. No one should expect to see the word dinosaur in the Bible.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-15-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Fire breathing dragons are also mentioned in the book of Job. Are we to assume that they were real as well?
It cannot be proven or disproven. Myths from many cultures refer to beasts and fire breathing serpents and all kinds of things we would consider fantasy. If you went back two thousand years and began talking about airplanes and "giant fires that could consume the earth"(nuclear bombs) they probably wouldn't believe you either. Doesn't mean it isn't true.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Last two popes agree that evolution is a fact? So there were some Popes
who agreeded with burning people at the stake, would that be iceing on the cake for you as well?
Popes also think it is a sin to use birth-control...

Now that is an authority that has a lot of credibility...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 13,253 times
yea, and in some parts of the country it is against a religious belief system to dance in a public venue if there is carpet on the floor...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
It cannot be proven or disproven. Myths from many cultures refer to beasts and fire breathing serpents and all kinds of things we would consider fantasy. If you went back two thousand years and began talking about airplanes and "giant fires that could consume the earth"(nuclear bombs) they probably wouldn't believe you either. Doesn't mean it isn't true.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's a very good analogy. I agree if someone from the future told us about certain events from their time, we might not understand it. That's because future events haven't yet happened. However, it's a different matter when it comes to past events because we can have an understanding about past events.

Using the illustration about fire breathing dragons, it's pretty safe to say there are none around today. And from what we understand about the past, there have been no traces of fire breathing dragons unearthed. We know there are tales about fire breathing dragons, but we also know that tales and legends are not the same as real fire breathing dragons. We also know that ancient people in various parts of the world sometimes unearthed the fossilized bones of dinosaurs or other prehistoric beasts. Since those people had no idea what these things were other than gigantic beasts, all kinds of wild and fearful speculations can arise imagining what horrors such monsters could produce. Fire breathing dragons would be one good thought, even though these beasts in reality probably didn't breathe fire. Of course it could be argued that although we know dinos weren't fire breathers, the people in the distant past wouldn't know, so the possibility that it might be a fire breather would be a part of their reality. BTW, powdered "dragon bones" are still sold in traditional pharmacies in China to cure various ailments. It's not a very safe thing to take though.

The point is that we can understand the past (although there are still plenty of mysteries of of the past) because it represents events and things that have already happened or existed - certainty. We cannot really understand the future because it represents events and things that have not yet happened or existed - uncertainty.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Of course I hear this all the time, I am told evidence that would show such a stone or a dinosaur figurine to be a fake. Yet when you ask to see that evidence all I hear is. "Oh, I can't find that link now".
Some people are lazy. Here are links disputing the Ica stones.

The skeptic's dictionary: a ... - Google Books
Pranks, Frauds, and Hoaxes from Around the World (Skeptical Inquirer July 2004) (http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-07/hoaxes.html - broken link)
The counter-creationism handbook - Google Books

So far as I know there's no reason to think people saw these stones before 1966. Nor do original theories about them fit yours. Cabrera's theory was about an advanced extraterrestrial civilization. Others I find indicate it means a civilization from "millions of years ago."

Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure that's a very good analogy. I agree if someone from the future told us about certain events from their time, we might not understand it. That's because future events haven't yet happened. However, it's a different matter when it comes to past events because we can have an understanding about past events.

Using the illustration about fire breathing dragons, it's pretty safe to say there are none around today. And from what we understand about the past, there have been no traces of fire breathing dragons unearthed. We know there are tales about fire breathing dragons, but we also know that tales and legends are not the same as real fire breathing dragons. We also know that ancient people in various parts of the world sometimes unearthed the fossilized bones of dinosaurs or other prehistoric beasts. Since those people had no idea what these things were other than gigantic beasts, all kinds of wild and fearful speculations can arise imagining what horrors such monsters could produce. Fire breathing dragons would be one good thought, even though these beasts in reality probably didn't breathe fire. Of course it could be argued that although we know dinos weren't fire breathers, the people in the distant past wouldn't know, so the possibility that it might be a fire breather would be a part of their reality. BTW, powdered "dragon bones" are still sold in traditional pharmacies in China to cure various ailments. It's not a very safe thing to take though.

The point is that we can understand the past (although there are still plenty of mysteries of of the past) because it represents events and things that have already happened or existed - certainty. We cannot really understand the future because it represents events and things that have not yet happened or existed - uncertainty.
We have very little understanding of past events once you get past what we call recorded history. Even the graphics and drawings we have of most dinosaurs are merely theoretical ideas of what the dinos looked like or what they could do. We can no more see the distant past than we can the distant future, so both are equally puzzling. Sure, you can find bones or an old house, but you have no real idea what went on there or what that animal really looked like. Or if perhaps that particular set of bones you found once breathed fire.

Also, as you say, we can get an idea of what we think the past was like. But it's all just theory. There is no real evidence. Nothing tangible other than bones and left over pots and pans. Now we are in the present, and we actually have a pretty good idea what is coming in the future don't you think. Atleast as good an idea as what we have about the past. I believe the example is fitting enough. Just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some people are lazy. Here are links disputing the Ica stones.

The skeptic's dictionary: a ... - Google Books
Pranks, Frauds, and Hoaxes from Around the World (Skeptical Inquirer July 2004) (http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-07/hoaxes.html - broken link)
The counter-creationism handbook - Google Books

So far as I know there's no reason to think people saw these stones before 1966. Nor do original theories about them fit yours. Cabrera's theory was about an advanced extraterrestrial civilization. Others I find indicate it means a civilization from "millions of years ago."
Ica burial stones have been around for humdreds of years. And even a priest from Spain in the 1500s wrote letters asking what were those strange animals depicted on the Ica burial stones? And it was in 1970 when Dr. Swift himself a believer in evolution discovered a dinosaur depicted on an Ica burial stone when he entered an ancient Ica tomb. So historically, we know such stones existed. And it was the discovery of that Ica burial stone in the 1970s that convinced Dr. Swift, that the time frame for Dinosaurs dieing off 65 million years ago, was a fraud. And Dr. Swift knew, that the skeptic's could not claim that the stone he discovered with the dinosaur depicted on it, was faked by the villagers. For the tomb had just been discovered.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Science never ignores anything, Tom. They investigate, review, test and then conclude. Well, of course they don't persist if the thing being investigated has been completely and repeatedly debunked. I mean, why waste time repeating nonsense investigations just because one side of the argument is unhappy.

Science abandons the absurd, Tom. Let's repeat: Science Abandons The Absurd.

Or, this good alternative...

Well now, let's see how science works, shall we???:

Fact: we' ve found dino eggs in China as recently as last year. Do you deny that?

Eggs, Tom. With obvious little fossilized dinosaurs in them! Check out the pictures!

Dinosaur egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dinosaur egg fossils found in E China _Local—China Economic Net

Fact: Navels are an artifact of mammalian in-utero fetal support. Eggs are not attached to a reptilian mother with an umbillical cord, Tom. Here's some proof 'cause you don't want to believe me 'bout nuthin' apparently....

http://www.surfcastermotel.com/images/laying_eggs.jpg (broken link)

Fact: dinos, being reptiles and not mammals, didn't have umbillical cords, and hence they had NO navels. Ever. NEVER EVER.

See how simple yet convincing that was? No global conspiracy, no "ignoring the facts", just the plain God's truth!

You, of all people ought to appreciate that!
1. Acambarans must have cooperated at least four times in the past, because the figuriens have been time tested at least four times. The last time it was a Japanese film industry doing a film about our ancient past. They had some of the figurines time tested again. With results returned matching all the other previous results.

2. Some have said, (the Bible states) that dinosaurs had a navel. I am not aware of the Bible saying that. And that was the point I was trying to make, however uncessfully.

Science ignores facts, (they believe) to be Absurd. And that would be a more accurate statement.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Science ignores facts, (they believe) to be Absurd. And that would be a more accurate statement.
As opposed to religious zealots? Give me a break!

Animals evolve, that is a fact. Yet many say that evolution is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality