Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And thank you, you saved me rom having to sopy/paste some of the quotes that show your bible claims the earth is flat.
There is no Scripture that claims the earth is flat. That claim was made by men set back to another dark age, after Eratosthenes had already computed the circumference of the earth in the 3rd century before Christ.
Eratosthenes' computation was within 200 miles of accuracy, I think, and stood until modern satellites did an accurate measurement -again, for earth was measured after the flood, by satellite, as old maps proved; but the Babel incident and subsequent wars set man back into another dark age, again, as the pattern is and will be, until God completes the number of sons adopted/ born again, from Adam, which He wants for His Glory to indwell, and to build His City with, for eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
There is no Scripture that claims the earth is flat. That claim was made by men set back to another dark age, after Eratosthenes had already computed the circumference of the earth in the 3rd century before Christ.
Eratosthenes' computation was within 200 miles of accuracy, I think, and stood until modern satellites did an accurate measurement -again, for earth was measured after the flood, by satellite, as old maps proved; but the Babel incident and subsequent wars set man back into another dark age, again, as the pattern is and will be, until God completes the number of sons adopted/ born again, from Adam, which He wants for His Glory to indwell, and to build His City with, for eternity.
And like msot every other Greek and Roman scientific advancement, your early Church threw the baby out with the dishwater, plunging Europe into the Dark Ages.

BTW, here's some more Flat Earth quotes...

Isaiah 11:12 Revelation 7:1 - Mentioned four corners of the Earth.

Job 38:13 Jeremiah 16:19 Daniel 4:11 - Mentions the "ends of the earth"

A globe of course has no ends or corners.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV) - Self explanitory, one cannot see everythinfg on a globe from a single high point, no matter how high. One canot even see everything on the earth from the moon.

And those are just from my personal notes.

And let's NOT even get into the geocentric universe model proposed by scriptures.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Quote:
You can buy knowledge based on lies with money, but there is no price you can pay to get wisdom.
Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Pro 17:16 Wherefore [is there] a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing [he hath] no heart [to it]?
Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding.
Oh please.

Do not start that stuff with me. I've been force fed that nonsense for years--this ain't my first rodeo.

You people are so narrow mindedly obsessed with that book of fairy tales, it's a wonder you can even turn a corner without tripping over your own shoelaces.

The worship of an angry Hebrew thunder god by the progeny of Europeans never ceases to amaze me and as far as I'm concerned, you can keep him and that book of myths you base the entirety of your life upon.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,314 times

The Sun - Visual Tour of the Solar System - The Sun

Crystal?

Refractor?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Default Aaaaaand he's down for the count!

Quote:
You know nothing about the universe. you have not been outside your fishbowl existence, and what the Creator says, you deny.

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools".

or.... alternately...

"Science abandons the absurd, and gets a good laugh out of the blindered sheeple's faith-based but spectacularly illogical pronouncements". (OK, so I embellished it a little bit this time...)

Having wondered about the sun and it's source of energy, physicists began to speculate, to predict (i.e.: the second stage of scientific discovery; the first being primary research) and then to form an hypothesis. Then a period of observation and/or research follows to see if the facts and evidence meet the predictions of the hypothesis. No "fishbowls", no wild imagination, just careful data gathering.

Such a careful systematic process does not result in wild improbable theories, and when lots of alternate approaches lead to exactly the same conclusions about, in this case, nuclear fusion theory, especially as nuclear reaction theories were proved over Nevada, Hiroshima and countless subsequent test sites, the obvious operation of our sun, and of other suns, became obvious. Well, at least to the rational folk.

In other simpler words, the observations and data fit the hypothesized model to a "T". Precisely and exactly.

The sun as a refractor though? Besides being functionally impossible, esp. since there's no source of light around it to be refracted, a crystal lens system just redirects light that's coming from one unified direction, redirecting it outwards to another. But crystals also break light up into it's constituent colors (aka a rainbow to you. Ever seen the results of a crystal when the sun's light hits it?).

Now then... Ever hear of chemical spectral analysis, yesuah? It is now uniformly utilized in almost all astrophysical analyses as part of our determination of the constituents of a meteor, a planet, moons and, of course, suns. Various different molecules give off characteristic spectra. It has thus clearly indicated the primary composition of the sun.

Additional studies have also confirmed the sun's various outputs, including the sources of the highly charged energy particles that create our visible Aurora borealis.

It does not, I repeat, NOT, produce refracted light. Sorry; you read far too much into the scientifically unconfirmed myths of an ancient text that has been re-translated multiple times, and that cannot have ever hoped to accurately describe any physical phenomenon. We go about our analyses and produce evidence-based conclusions.

You then call those conclusions all nonsense. and then go on to claim that the angels fly about the universe. Ever seen one? I thought not. How quaint and amusing though.

You, rather than any of us, are smokin' some mean stuff, and your intense need to believe the nonsense you've spouted here is indicative of a larger psychological problem. While you criticize our knowledge and our so-called parroting of others' work, you on the other hand spout out a total load of cruddola, which is clearly absent any rational basis.

Good luck with that. Go ahead; call me on it; I'm done with you. Oh, and BTW, logically, you lose.

Last edited by rifleman; 07-27-2009 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 AM

Thumbs down Neeeexxxxttttt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh please.

The worship of an angry Hebrew thunder god by the progeny of Europeans never ceases to amaze me and as far as I'm concerned, you can keep him and that book of myths you base the entirety of your life upon.
Well said! Thanks! Next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Sans...

I would LOVE to bounce a few things off you about how Genesis and science compare out...
I'm going to leave this one alone, and I know you weren't addressing me, Alan, but I didn't take the bait, run off and open my bible anyhow, the one I pretty much gave up on as a late teen, because it was so darned conflicting, and badly written. And key parts of it were in direct contradiction with observed facts and growing knowledge acquired by honest but curious folks using the regimen of scientific logic.

To us, the bible cannot be used to prove anything. It's just stories, with no basis for factual belief.

I would not have been able to complete my subsequent degrees in biology, genetics, geology, ecology and engineering if I'd had to stay within the anti-science strictures of fundamental Christianity.

So, I won't be following along. Frankly, anything the bible says is unsupportable unless one simply agrees (or needs) to believe it. This is at real odds with scientific investigation and conclusions, and requires, at it's heart, utter inalterable faith in completely unprovable and increasingly improbable pronouncements. Science, though, marches inexoribly on; not so much with biblical stories. In another thousand years, knowing what we know by then, this will all just be a sad chapter in human gullibility.

I started a thread a few months ago, where I asked Christians, in all honestly, what could possibly change their faith and belief in their god. They said, in effect, nothing. Never ever. No-how. Not even if an alien landed and said it was all his PhD thesis experiment, including Evolution, I asked?

Nope.

So... Nothing can change the truly armored heart of a dedicated fundamentalist Christian. not even the recent proofs of Evolution's mechanisms and functionality at the cellular level. So why continue to debate illogical pronouncements, as with our loony friend above?

No point at all,really. You're not going to change, and we've seen too much to go back to rejoining the blindered and intransigent sheeple masses.

I, and many others, do not believe in artificial systems for which so much doubt and mis-information has now been proven to our admittedly hardened hearts. On top of that, the hundreds of various world-wide religions all argue that theirs is the one true faith, and many of them pre-date Christianity, which, by all accounts, is mostly a re-hash of others anyhow.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure that, world-wide, the Christian religion is losing it's audience at an ever-increasing rate.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
All this sun debate just proves more and more to me that the Bible was written by men to explain their world. How on Earth could anyone today think that the sun is a giant Crystal refracting light, with all the science and photos and well he** just the everyday evidence of it's light and warmth........... Wow some are really lacking in an education. Sometimes I think this Bible is really doing some damage to people.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Default It's as damaging as a train wreck.... millions injured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
All this sun debate just proves more and more to me that the Bible was written by men to explain their world. How on Earth could anyone today think that the sun is a giant Crystal refracting light, with all the science and photos and well he** just the everyday evidence of it's light and warmth........... Wow some are really lacking in an education. Sometimes I think this Bible is really doing some damage to people.
The bible only reflects (refracts???) the beliefs of it's followers, who then turn back to it to prove what they believe, which they first read in the bible, which they...... and around and around it goes.

You are exactly right, Nea1: it continues to be very damaging as it fosters the complete suppression of knowledge, inquisitiveness, curiosity and scientific discovery.

Remember the Christian outcry at the startup of the Large Hadron Collider in France last year, which some scientists claimed could find the last remaining predicted primary particle, or "God Particle" as it became known. That set off the baying hounds of illiteracy and fear...

Scientists get death threats over Large Hadron Collider

Christianity also happily supports scientific illiteracy in the form of the teaching of Intelligent Design, it's fervent desire to burn the books of known scientific facts, and the ripping apart and burning of entire sections of your public library.

Christianity would happily hang you from the rafters with your arms tied behind your back (the strappado), and slap the wrists of your children in Sunday School if they asked too many questions.

I recently posted some Sunday School curriculum materials from the Internet which admonished the teacher to repeat the message again and again that God hates and punishes the disobedient.

Rather than being the mediating and loving communal and enjoining force it's claimed to be, it's a dangerous and suppressive belief system rooted in ancient superstitions, hatred and fear-mongering.

Loverly!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
*shudder* The nun at my sunday schooling gave me nightmares, litterally.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,742 times
[quote=AxisMundi;9966563]And like msot every other Greek and Roman scientific advancement, your early Church threw the baby out with the dishwater, plunging Europe into the Dark Ages.
I have nothing to do with any church that threw out any Bible truth.
BTW, here's some more Flat Earth quotes...

Isaiah 11:12 Revelation 7:1 - Mentioned four corners of the Earth.
The earth, as a globe/tebel/world, has quarters. The world is called a globe, in Hebrew; translator bias, only, is the reason the word tebel/globe is not in English, but in the DSS translations, the word is translated globe, when it is the physical globe meant.

And FYI, Nebuchadnezzar ruled all nations on the earth, in all the globe, "wherever men or beasts or fowl dwelled"; and at that time, the Olmec civilization in Mexico was at its height, so Nebuchadnezzar ruled the Olmecs and all the civilizations on all the continents of the earth, including China, for Nebuchadnezzar was "king of kings" of the earth -Daniel 2. Dan 2:37,38 Thou, O king, [art] a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou [art] this head of gold.

Job 38:13 Jeremiah 16:19 Daniel 4:11 - Mentions the "ends of the earth"

A globe of course has no ends or corners.

a globe has quarters, silly, and the extreme points of the earth are included in that. There is a North and a South "exteme point"; divide it however you wish, those compass points are the extremes, and there are four quarters.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV) - Self explanitory, one cannot see everythinfg on a globe from a single high point, no matter how high. One canot even see everything on the earth from the moon.

And those are just from my personal notes.
you stole the notes from skeptic sites. The high mountain which the devil took Jesus up to is not seen with your eyes, it is part of the "great earth" seen by Enoch, in which there are seven mountains not seen by the eyes of anyone on this earth -Eden is on one of them, from which Eden Adam is cast out of ,at the fall, and cannot get back into. And the City of God is there, which is "up", on "the breadth of earth", in Revelation.
God told Job that he could not measure it -and neither can you, cause you can't get into it. They tried, at Babel, and got the language confounded for all peoples.

And the showing of the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them to Jesus in a moment of time was supernatural, from your point of view, not a natural seeing.

And let's NOT even get into the geocentric universe model proposed by scriptures.

So why not? The Bible says the sun rises and sets, and goes round the earth, as do the stars. Enoch says the same, and was shown the complete astronomical calendar of 364 days, with four of them being intercalary days.
Once, the sun and moon stood still for most of a day, at the command of Joshua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality