Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,956,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How is that? You can enhance the production of rice, but you can't make rice evolve into a banana, just like fish did not evolve into a human. Fish can change, but it will still be fish, not ape, or human. There is no evidence of one species evolving into another.
Who ever demanded such a stupid evolutionary genetic migration? "I wanna see a cat give birth to a dog, overnight!". Right. That one, which, like a bad fart, shows up all too often, shows only the gross stupidity of it's source.

Your suggestion shows your lack of logic as well: rice does not live where bananas do. But a banana that could benefit from being borne on the stem, let's say, of a taller plant, for better exposure to the sun compared to the other plants in the area? Quite likely, and in fact, banana species do vary.

Musa accuminata

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan..._acuminata.jpg

musa domest. sp.

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/takomaparkms/academics/cs/grade8projects/rainforest/Images/Plants/banana.gif (broken link)

entrete ventriccosum

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ntricosum3.jpg

Want more? All adaptively mutated, and kept at the right temp & humidity on Noah's massive herbarium, no doubt... (Oh wait; there were no windows. Guess he had nuclear-powered grow lights...)

Quote:
I own a microwave. That's enough proof for me. Can't say the same about evolution though, - there is no proof for that.
I realize YOU "can't say the same for evolution", because you won't try to grasp even the most kindergarten level of understanding of how it works. I can't explain what goes on in the core of a nuclear reactor either, but I know there are those who do, and I bow to their greater understanding. You, on the other hand, prefer and defer to fairy tales that don't pan out when logically examined. You find scientific explanations unbelievable?

Regarding speciation, you quote, ominously, "there is no proof for that."

Your personal lack of interest in learning does indeed confirm your statements. but, juts in case you're really not terrified of the truth, try Lenski, 2008 for a proof of speciation. Through an amazing 22 yr long experiment, with scrupulous documentation culminating in a review of each generation's DNA map (courtesy of that monumentally defining new methodology he wasn't even aware of when he started the study), he has shown exactly where and how one species' DNA changed through chance mutation to create a new species able to utilize previously unusable aspects of it's already existing environment. It found and utilized a previously unused niche.

Voila! Doesn't get any simpler or more "proofy" than that, now does it? If your side had any such high quality evidence, you'd start an entire new church based on it, with parades and parties and virgin sacrifices and...

BTW, we get to define "species", not Christians, who now, in the face of overwhelming factual evidence, are now busy trying to alter the definition.

Expected and predictable, of course, since even the massively powerful Catholic Church has agreed that Evolution is a fact.

BTW, I don't need to have been there to know that Mt. St. Helens erupted, or that the huge alluvial fan in front of The Columbia River was caused by centuries of sedimentary deposition, or that an egg in my hen-house was laid by a hen when I wasn't there. sedimentary varve counts, complete with annual pollen layers, and other evidence that screams at us, tell us the earth's at minimum, 4.5 B years old. Versus only 6000 years? Well, not so much.

The biblical story is FULL of descriptions of events that the authors were not present for, and yet you blithely believe all of it, unquestioningly.

Of course we evolved. You want proof? Look in the mirror. You're nothing but a missing link transitional of our species, en-route to whatever evolution brings us, if we leave it alone to do it's thing.

Finally: a homework assignment chant for you: Evolution ≠ Abiogenesis. Repeat. Repeat. Again. Repeat.

There'll be a test in the morning. Will you pass it?

Last edited by rifleman; 01-02-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM

76,966 posts, read 47,841,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Your suggestion shows your lack of logic as well: rice does not live where bananas do. But a banana that could benefit from being borne on the stem, let's say, of a taller plant, for better exposure to the sun compared to the other plants in the area? Quite likely, and in fact, banana species do vary.
They are still bananas, are they not?

PS There is no such thing as a good fart.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,148 times
Quote:

Missed this link did you?...

Epic Fail for you once again.

Plenty of evidence for one species evolving into another.

A list of some of the transitional species fossils...
List of transitional fossils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS, there is no such thing as a good fart, but only in an elevator.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM

76,966 posts, read 47,841,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Missed this link did you?...

Epic Fail for you once again.

Plenty of evidence for one species evolving into another.

A list of some of the transitional species fossils...
List of transitional fossils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS, there is no such thing as a good fart, but only in an elevator.
Wikipedia. heh-heh. Maybe I'll throw Java Man in there as the missing link.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM

33,633 posts, read 37,294,099 times
Quote:
What is your problem with Wikipedia? It is easily verifiable. I suppose you prefer Conservapedia.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is your problem with Wikipedia? It is easily verifiable. I suppose you prefer Conservapedia.
Ouch, Epic Pwnage.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
See, there is one of your major troubles.

Who, exactly, do you think finally figured out about Java Man. Some YECer? Some Bishop somewhere?

No, science questions itself at every turn. It was the scientific process that resulted in the new findings about java Man.

And science gets better every day.

You labor under the forced misconception that a scienctist decides on something, and then that is considered a "fact".

Also, feel free to show how the Wiki entry is flawed in any manner whatsoever. The References section will help you in your endevour.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,956,524 times
Cool "Wait... I heard that! Who.....????"

Quote:

Sure. And an antelope is a mule deer is a bison is a Hereford bull is an African dik-dik.

Thanx for proving beyond anyone's questioning that you don't understand what "species" means. (or what you'd like it to mean...) No wonder you can't handle "evolution". For you, it doesn't exist because everything is the same as everything else, just of a slightly different "kind"...

Like my housecat is just a snow leopard, or a banana plant. Dottie, yah hear that? Down girl; put away that vegetarian dentition.

PPS, pull my finger.....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 AM

234 posts, read 721,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa
I don't disbelieve anything unless I can prove it DOES NOT exist.

"So then it must follow that you also believe in Odin, Thor, Ra, Horus, Zeus, and all the other gods that cannot be disproven, right?"

Where did I say anything about believing? That statement clearly says "I don't disbelieve..." - that is NOT the same thing as believing. Damn, you guys are *speshal*

Quote:
I am not a bible thumping church fanatic, but I do believe that all humans should be grateful for what they have, loving toward their friends/family/neighbors, and forgiving.

"None of the above require church, religion or god. Those are basic humanist beliefs inherit to most people."

That's irrelevant and has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. It has nothing to do with beliefs REQUIRING something else. There are no set rules. I can believe whatever I want, and so can you. Regardless of church, religion or God.

Oh and regarding your statement that said "evolution has undeniable proof" - you people keep saying this and must not be able to comprehend my response - which is consistently this: We CANNOT prove or disprove evolution, if you are able to realize that reality is entirely based on perspective.

I NEVER said that I disbelieve in evolution! If you want my personal beliefs, here they are: I believe in evolution!

Oh my God! I must be an Atheist because I believe in evolution!!!

Pffft...you guys have been inhaling too much methane from all those farts...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 AM

234 posts, read 721,395 times
Attitude in my last post not intended. That's the problem with discussing online versus in person. I am a very nice person!

Let's see...so there is no proof of creation, BUT that doesn't mean it didn't happen. My personal beliefs are irrelevant.

Religion and spirituality are all about believing in something that cannot be proven. That's the whole point.

So I am pondering the point of this thread.... haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality