Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not too much about religion mostly christian and mostly about bashing it.
a whole lota people dont like christians, probably me too and i am one of them.
the christian religion is good like many other religions but its the people that claim it and dont practice it that causes problems. of course those that have rejected it are not smelling much like a rose either.
The problem with Christianity is that most of the believers follow the literal meanings of the book, while picking out the verses for themselves to follow, but condemning others using verses from the same book in a different chapter.

It's not a one-way street and a lot of Christian-faith (branch) believers think that their religious beliefs are the only true one while disregarding other people's opinions or beliefs. If they cry for respect, they must first give it. The chances of that happening are slim to none as they lie to others by saying they are understanding, but at the same time, deal underhanded blows to said person with passive-aggressive statements and the ever-loved guilt-trippings

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
All the non believers why so much hostility/anger? If you don't believe don't participate.
Don't participate WHERE?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 PM

313 posts, read 676,965 times
Totally agree guys extremism is not rational and is a total turn off.

Extreme Christians paint Jesus as a being perfect (yeah right) not having flaws. Who the hell can live up to those standards!!?

If Jesus walked amongst us and was perfect I don't think he would be accepted. I think if he ever lived here he would have all of the faults we suffer from insecurity,doubt,lust,envy and all other shortcomings we as mankind have. That's what would make it so cool because he would be amongst us and not above us, imagine having someone here so divine yet so human .

Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,203 times
If Jesus existed and came back, he would be hanging out with the have nots and rejects of society much like he allegedly did the first time. Were he a poster here, he would be hanging out with folk in the Atheist and Agnostic forum

Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
But that is our religious view, we think its a load of crap. We have every right to participate. If you don't want our opinion then keep your bible-bots out of our government, then we will shut up and let you belong to whatever cult you feel is necessary for you.
I think it's cool if anyone posts here. It's the internet people, arguing / bashing / being tough because you're not in the real world is implied.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Most non believers are exbelievers.
When the majority of religious people refuse to denounced these actions you have called extreme, it makes non believer like myself come to the conclusion that they must also support these extremes, but just don't have the "balls" to follow through.
Believers denounce extremists all the time. If we don't devote enough time to systematically denounce everything you want us to denounce well them's the breaks.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
All the non believers why so much hostility/anger? If you don't believe don't participate.

This is the place to understand about religion, and religious views.

The "non-believers" have a pony in that race to. If you have a discussion about Jesus, then Christians will have a view, Jews will have a view, Muslims will have a view, and agnostics will have a different view to.

I generally try and stay out of the "Christian" forum, every now and then I can't help myself when they have a thread like women are respected in Bible, or something like that. However, If the believers want to blindly follow, I let them do that there.

However, some Christians are actually interested in learning the opposite view.

Think about it, if you are trying to "spread the good word", why wouldn't you want to hear from everyone? You can't understand how to convert someone, without beginning to understand their doubt in your God.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
As an atheist I've never told someone religious that:

1: They should kill themselves because their life is useless as a believer
2: They are doomed to an infinite afterlife of agony for not believing as I do
3: They are worthless because of their beliefs
4: They shouldn't be able to vote because of their beliefs
5: They shouldn't be able to have any one of several professions including doctor or teacher or politician because of their beliefs
6: I wished he or she was dead because they're religious
7: I thought he or she was satan or possessed by demons
8: Spit upon them for being religious
9: Vandalized their home or car for being religious
10: Threatened to fire them from their job for being religious

All of these things and more have happened to me, been done to me "in the name of Jesus" because I'm an atheist and I don't hide that fact. Now,I don't just go up to people and blurt it out like religious 'witnesses' do, but if I'm asked I'll cop to it without shame.

So if there's some contempt coming from my side towards the other side, it's because you have all made it that way. If you'd stop trying to convert us, stop forcing your religious dogma into our laws, stop whining that you're being oppressed when one of us speaks up, stop knocking on my door to 'save' me, and stop being general a-holes in particular to people that don't believe as you do, then you really wouldn't hear much from us at all.

Ya'll made your bed, now you're feeling what it is to lie in it.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
There's just as much bashing from believers who are opposed to other religions, just check out the threads about Mormons or JW's. I do agree that resorting to insults and personal attacks serves no purpose but to be honest I've read some posts that were so stupid that it seems like they invite ridicule. I try to avoid even responding to some of them. Thankfully there's enough intelligent people who are both believers and atheists that it makes the forum worthwhile.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
There are some beliefs that deserve to be criticized, and I see nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't get personal....

YouTube - The Chaser's War on Everything: Do you Believe the Bible is True?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality