Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Actually, that's not true. The truth is that for the last two decades religious beliefs are increasingly being legislated out of the laws of this land. Like no more prayers allowed in our schools, no 10 commandments displayed in the courthouses, etc. What religous law of the land are you being forced to follow?

And I must thank God for that..... I remember well how it felt when the evangelical christian came to my elementary school once a week to teach us religion and I had to move my desk out to the hallway, and we had to say the Lords prayer everyday before we ate our lunch..... I wasn't a christian then and I am not now.

I pray and anyone can pray to themselves religion has no place in the public sphere because we don't all share the same beliefs.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's

The Anti-Christian Forces And Well Organized And On The Move !!!
And It truly Does Appear To Many People Around The World That
These Intense Folks Are On The Verge Of ..... "Wiping Christianity
Of The Face Of The Earth".....

But ..... Please Don't Interpret This Current "Ominious Global
Christian Bashing Movement" Too Seriously..... Remember Now.....
This Is Precisesly (For Those Whom Are Willing To Admit It) What
Jesus ..... So Long Ago Stated "Would Continue To Happen".......
(It's In The New testament).....

Yes ... The Unbelievers Continue To Vehemently Voice Their Great
Opposition On A Global Scale"..... Their Unparalled " Disbelief " In The
"Good News Of The Kingdom"..... Is truly A Powerful Force And Is
Possibly Gaining Greater Momentum At This Current Juncture in History.....
And In All likelyhood This Is Proceeding "Right On
Schedule" ( God's Schedule that Is) .....

Over 2,000 Years ..... Christians Have Continued To Be
"Bashed"..... "Beaten"....... "Executed' ..... "Banned Publicy" .....
"Banished"...... And "Crucified"...... Yet Still They Remain.....
And In Substantial Numbers Around The Globe...... Remember
What Jesus Said on This Very Subject ..... If They Persecuted
Me ...... They Will Persecute You Also..... Because You Are
Mine..... Imagine That !!! (The New Testament Again) !!!

The Unbelievers In Christ And The Good News Of The Kingdom
Are Dilligently Persuing The Only Path Open to Them..... For It Is
So Written in That Most Remarkable Of Books.....

Christians Take Heart Then..... And Equally Persue Your Faith In
Christ In A Similar & Most Dedicated Fashion..... Christianity Is Never,
Never, Ever Forced on Anyone.....It Is A matter Of "Freedom Of
Choice" ..... And Thats The Beauty Of It...... It's truly Up To The
Individual To Accept Or Reject "Christ The Savior".....

May The Unbelievers Please "Feel Free" To Continue With Their
"Christian Bashing" ..... It Was Afterall Predicted Long Ago.....
May Our Lord And Savior Grant You "Mercy And Forgiveness"
One Day Very Soon..... ("Better Soon Than Late")................

The Choice All Of Us Will Make Regarding This Most Profound Of
All Human Matters ...... Is Written In Words Of Scripture As
Relating To "Judgement And A Place To Spend Eternity"

May We All Make The Correct Decision..... One Day Perhaps Not
So Very Far Away ..... We All Shall Be Very Certain..... Regarding
That "Decision"..... May The Lord Bless You !!! Thanks / M.F.

omg........ Now I am seeing everything in triplicate no matter where I look....

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Most denominations don't do this. Mainline Protestants, and to an extent Catholics, rarely evangelize at all. We all have to pay because of the Jehovah's Witnesses? Or the more annoying parts of the Bible Belt?
As long as Christians keep lumping all atheists together, and as long as your dogma is being forced into our lives and laws, yes.

Quote:
Most don't do this either. Although those "services" involve killing what we believe is human life. Maybe some go too far, but some animal rights people go too far as well. Should all vegetarians have to pay for that?
Vegetarians don't come knocking on my door, and there's no laws forcing me into vegetarian behavior.

Quote:
This is a minor Baptist denomination that is mostly rejected even by other Baptists. As I recall Phelps church has less than a hundred people and most of them are his relatives.
They're Christians. Plus, these few examples are only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of ways Christians of all persuasions intrude on our daily lives. I just picked a couple really easy ones to point out.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
As long as Christians keep lumping all atheists together, and as long as your dogma is being forced into our lives and laws, yes.
Name one specifically Christian dogma forced into your life or the law. The only thing I can think of is no mail, or in some places booze, on Sundays. Is that really so onerous?

Quote:
Vegetarians don't come knocking on my door, and there's no laws forcing me into vegetarian behavior.
What law is forcing you into Christian behavior? If you want to have a threesome on Christmas you can. If you don't want to say "under God" you don't have to. If you want to make a camp fire using Bibles you bought for kindling you can. So what are you talking about?

There are more non-Christians in Congress than perhaps ever before, including an atheist. You have a President that acknowledges non-believing Americans. There is no established church in any state.

Quote:
They're Christians. Plus, these few examples are only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of ways Christians of all persuasions intrude on our daily lives. I just picked a couple really easy ones to point out.
When you live in a society you will have to deal with people who believe differently than you. I suppose in a sense that can be "intrusive", but you are free to ignore people.

Granted if you mean truly intrude it's different, but I'm skeptical that in this age people busting into houses to preach is all that common. I'm skeptical of atheist notions of a vast Christian conspiracy out to get them. It may happen in some places, but it's far from universal and mostly the laws on religious liberty protect you as well.

I think what bothers many atheists like you, if not you, is that you are not given the freedom to repress others. Christians can say whatever goofy Christian thing they want to you. Just as Muslims can say go on my Wikipedia page, as one did, to argue to me that Islam is the true faith and I should convert. We do not repress public religious speech the way say France would. That lack of repression can be annoying, it's true, but I think a free society is mostly worth it. If anyone is outright harassing or threatening you than contact authorities. However the reality is anti-atheist hate crimes are pretty rare. Jews, Muslims, and Sikhs face far worse.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,685 times
Quote:
Name one specifically Christian dogma forced into your life or the law. The only thing I can think of is no mail, or in some places booze, on Sundays. Is that really so onerous?
As someone who lives in a dry county that is surrounded by other dry counties and also enjoys cooking. Yes. I like to cook with bourbon and wine on occasion. I don't drink it because getting drunk or even lightly buzzed isn't my thing, but when I want a bottle of wine for a chicken noodle soup recipe and I have to drive over 2 hours to even find a wet county only to realize it's Sunday.. then yeah, that's a pain in the rear end. I shouldn't have to plan my dinner menus around somebody else's religion.

Quote:
What law is forcing you into Christian behavior? If you want to have a threesome on Christmas you can. If you don't want to say "under God" you don't have to. If you want to make a camp fire using Bibles you bought for kindling you can. So what are you talking about?
Several states have laws that state that atheists can not hold public office, serve on a jury, or testify in court.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
As someone who lives in a dry county that is surrounded by other dry counties and also enjoys cooking. Yes. I like to cook with bourbon and wine on occasion. I don't drink it because getting drunk or even lightly buzzed isn't my thing, but when I want a bottle of wine for a chicken noodle soup recipe and I have to drive over 2 hours to even find a wet county only to realize it's Sunday.. then yeah, that's a pain in the rear end. I shouldn't have to plan my dinner menus around somebody else's religion.
Fair example, but these can be overridden by a vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Several states have laws that state that atheists can not hold public office, serve on a jury, or testify in court.
So far as I know none of these are enforced. However I agree they're wrong. Why not try to get them overturned though? Because they would be overturned, I don't see how the courts could let them stand if challenged.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Name one specifically Christian dogma forced into your life or the law.
Laws against allowing gays and lesbians to marry. Add to that laws against voluntary euthanasia. Those are just for starters.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Quote:
LOL, you've never lived in small town Utah, have you? I went to school in Logan, and even the mall is closed on Sunday. The entire town pretty much shuts the doors on Sundays. I acknowledge, though that that's not really a law, just the choices of those business people. But it absolutely controlled what I was able to do for 1/7th of my time, because of someone else's religion.

But as M.C. and spotted mentioned, there absolutely are laws in this country that are based on religious doctrine, rather than common sense or "golden rule" lawmaking.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
LOL, you've never lived in small town Utah, have you? I went to school in Logan, and even the mall is closed on Sunday. The entire town pretty much shuts the doors on Sundays. I acknowledge, though that that's not really a law, just the choices of those business people. But it absolutely controlled what I was able to do for 1/7th of my time, because of someone else's religion.

But as M.C. and spotted mentioned, there absolutely are laws in this country that are based on religious doctrine, rather than common sense or "golden rule" lawmaking.
Luckily there is "big town Utah" to keep us non-churchers sane.

Now if only they would open the damn liquor stores on Sunday...

Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

I'm betting he doesn't realize that up until 2003, laws against sodomy were rampant in the USA. At least, as I recall it was 2003 when the Supreme Court abolished sodomy laws.

And for those of you who are squeamish about sex, "sodomy" doesn't just mean male-male anal penetration. It's defined as any sex act that is not procreative. Sodomy laws were absolutely Christian-driven and absolutely affected the lives of non-Christians.

So he should pull his head out of...the sand and take a look at the ugly truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality