Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 11,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
It's not greed. You're an animal if you kill new apartment grade carpet in 1 year.

That's some fabricated garbage.

Even the cheapest carpet lasts more than 1 year.

I get it though, you have some unrealistic expectations.
Whoops, forgot to turn off notifications, again since reading is too hard, my carpet looks great besides being walked on. You literally said you charge tenants to clean carpet that lived there 4 years "that's 2.50 a month!" you are having them clean carpet that should be ripped out. That's pretty slimy in my opinion but hey, that's why small claims court is there. Your name is the embodiment of how people must feel when they deal with you, very fitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM

357 posts, read 249,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Whoops, forgot to turn off notifications, again since reading is too hard, my carpet looks great besides being walked on. You literally said you charge tenants to clean carpet that lived there 4 years "that's 2.50 a month!" you are having them clean carpet that should be ripped out. That's pretty slimy in my opinion but hey, that's why small claims court is there. Your name is the embodiment of how people must feel when they deal with you, very fitting.
Why do you think carpet only lasts a year? What are you doing to it to ruin it that fast? You’re so defensive and nasty to everyone who replies if they don’t say what you want to hear.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 PM

6,512 posts, read 4,048,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
K12144 NO they are NOT! That Dumb idea came from folks that they charged & the folks complained about on the internet. THEY Can Not Charged her More than the Agreed cost .... Contract Signed by the OP & LL. IN Writing says $125 to clean carpets once she moves. $125 is ALL they can charge her.

Contract Law

•Offer. An offer must be made in a contract. $125 to cover the cost of Cleaning the Carpet
•Acceptance. Acceptance is the agreement of the other party to the offer presented. Parties OP & LL
•Consideration. All parties to any contract must provide the other parties something of value,... For the privileges of having a cat OP agreed to having the carpets cleaned by LL for Total of $125 one time fee to be paid thru the OP Pet Deposit.
•Competency. All parties entering into a contract must have a legal capacity, or competency,... Being of Sound Mind Being of Age to agree to this contract. Both the OP & LL ... In Other words was the time the Agreement was made & Signed Was the OP Old enough or Smart enough to understand what she was signing?
They can deduct whatever they want from the deposit for cleaning. Why do you think they can't? That is what a deposit is for-- if the tenant leaves the unit in a state that makes the landlord think it needs additional cleaning (or repair, or whatever), they will absolutely keep whatever amount from the deposit will cover that cleaning.

But as for the rest of your post (part I bolded)... yes, that's exactly OP's point. They agreed to pay this fee for the landlord to clean the carpet. Now they're being told they paid the fee BUT they also must have the carpet professionally cleaned separately.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM

161 posts, read 137,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Hey, I am living in NC and planning to move out of my apartment in 2 months. I and my friend have been living here for a bit under a year. My current problem is that on our "move out cleaning sheet" it mentions us having to shampoo the carpets and possibly even having to supply a receipt for "professional cleaning". We are fully understanding that cleaning is our responsibility. I checked all through our lease and nowhere in it does it mention needing to clean the carpets. The only fee I can find on the entire lease is that once we move out since we have a cat we need to pay a "cleansing fee" of $125. I was looking at reviews for the complex and many of the people are saying that when moving out they try to pinch every penny possible from the tenants. Almost all of the negative reviews mention the complex fining $200-$300 dollars just for a carpet cleaning fee (again nowhere in lease does it mention this). My problem with this is other than walking on it and the carpet slightly loosing it's "fluff feeling" there are no damages or any spills on the carpet. Am I wrong in thinking that walked on carpet would be considered wear and tear or are my and my friend expected to pay this even though it wasn't mentioned before we moved in? If I need to I'm open to a court case as some reviews were mentioning fees of close to $700. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry if this was a bit of a thick read, slightly flustered and am currently being ignored by our leasing staff when I email to ask about this information.

Thanks so much.
Unfortunately, most (if not all) apartments ask for a professional carpet cleaning (with receipt) before you can begin to get your security deposit back. They do this simply because a small carpet cleaner isn't going to pick up the dirt left in the carpets by even the cleanest people.

While I love cats, not everybody does..and while your cat was certainly litter trained, a cleansing fee of $125 was written in your lease. Sounds like you accept this completely.

However, as mentioned..a professional carpet cleaner will pick up the dirt even the cleanest people leave behind..and you'd be amazed what those cleaners pick up!! I was married to someone that had a rug cleaning business and he was often hired by people in apartment complexes to come in and clean the rugs they thought they'd gotten clean with their personal rug cleaner. He'd go in with an empty tank on his rug cleaning machine..and then show then what he picked up. Everyone was absolutely AMAZED beyond belief what their personal rug cleaners left behind.

It's not like landlords are trying to be jerks when they ask that a carpet gets professionally cleaned before a tenant moves out. They just want things basically sanitary for the next tenant.

It costs almost nothing compared to the security deposit you probably paid. Sorry to say, but just hire a pro and get it over with!!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,160,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
They can deduct whatever they want from the deposit for cleaning. Why do you think they can't? That is what a deposit is for-- if the tenant leaves the unit in a state that makes the landlord think it needs additional cleaning (or repair, or whatever), they will absolutely keep whatever amount from the deposit will cover that cleaning.

But as for the rest of your post (part I bolded)... yes, that's exactly OP's point. They agreed to pay this fee for the landlord to clean the carpet. Now they're being told they paid the fee BUT they also must have the carpet professionally cleaned separately.

So security deposit is there to help landlord clean the apartment? Interesting, i didn't know that. I was always under impression that security deposit is given in case tenant cause damage to the property. Yes if tenant leaves place a mess security deposit can be used to cover the cleaning but it also needs to be reasonable amount. Also just because landlord thinks that place needs additional cleaning doesn't mean that landlord can take it out from security deposit.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,160,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
Unfortunately, most (if not all) apartments ask for a professional carpet cleaning (with receipt) before you can begin to get your security deposit back. They do this simply because a small carpet cleaner isn't going to pick up the dirt left in the carpets by even the cleanest people.

While I love cats, not everybody does..and while your cat was certainly litter trained, a cleansing fee of $125 was written in your lease. Sounds like you accept this completely.

However, as mentioned..a professional carpet cleaner will pick up the dirt even the cleanest people leave behind..and you'd be amazed what those cleaners pick up!! I was married to someone that had a rug cleaning business and he was often hired by people in apartment complexes to come in and clean the rugs they thought they'd gotten clean with their personal rug cleaner. He'd go in with an empty tank on his rug cleaning machine..and then show then what he picked up. Everyone was absolutely AMAZED beyond belief what their personal rug cleaners left behind.

It's not like landlords are trying to be jerks when they ask that a carpet gets professionally cleaned before a tenant moves out. They just want things basically sanitary for the next tenant.

It costs almost nothing compared to the security deposit you probably paid. Sorry to say, but just hire a pro and get it over with!!

So just because landlord asks for it, tenant must do it? If landlord want carpet to be sanitary for next tenant, how is that the responsibility of the current tenant? Should landlord not pay for that professional carpet cleaning out of his/her pocket?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:09 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,418,571 times
Quote:

[I understand what you are saying 1st paragraph]
BUT No they Cant charge her Double. The Move out Checklist is a General one for ALL tenants. BUT for the Carpet cleaning Those with PETS have Agreed along with the LL Cost of Cleaning. OP Should be Concentrating on the Other items on the list & giving the carpet a Good Vacuum. LL are NOT allowed to Double Dip. BUT If she does have the carpet Cleaned she Wont get the $125 back. That's on her.

Last edited by Katie1; 08-09-2019 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 09:28 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,418,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
So security deposit is there to help landlord clean the apartment? Interesting, i didn't know that. I was always under impression that security deposit is given in case tenant cause damage to the property. Yes if tenant leaves place a mess security deposit can be used to cover the cleaning but it also needs to be reasonable amount. Also just because landlord thinks that place needs additional cleaning doesn't mean that landlord can take it out from security deposit.
In the OP case YES! Since OP & LL Agreed on the Pet part of the lease. $125 would go towards Cleaning the Carpet.... in return she gets to have a cat.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
Quote:
So you're being charged a cleaning fee, and also expected to clean? Then what is the cleaning fee for? Last time I had an apartment with a "cleaning fee," when I was moving out and told them I was almost done cleaning up before I left, they told me to not even bother to sweep the floor-- "that's why you paid a cleaning fee."

Then someone that allergic shouldn't move into a building that allows pets. There's no way every single speck could possibly be cleaned up.

Where did they say the cat damaged the unit?

Where did OP say there were fleas?

If you are so worried about carpet being "dirty," then don't live in a place that has carpet. You're right, you have NO idea what the previous tenant did on that carpet. And if the landlord is that worried about it, maybe they shouldn't put carpet in.

OP was very clear. Professionally-cleaned carpet is not required in the lease. They have already paid a cleaning fee. And now are being asked to pay more to have the carpet cleaned. What's confusing about that?

Or, as is actually the case, people keep posting with irrelevant information while they put words into OP's mouth about how much "damage" OP's cat has allegedly caused... so far it has been speculated that the cat has peed on the carpet, snowed so much dandruff all over it that the next tenant is going to instantly keel over dead, has damaged the apartment, and has fleas. None of which the OP said was the case.

But it sounds like they are going to deduct an additional carpet cleaning fee besides the $125 OP has already paid. That's the point.
The OP didn’t mention fleas and doesn’t have to. Those ‘cleansing’ pet fees he’s referring to usually mean a de fleaing of the unit ie: professional pest control treatment. I bet if he read his paperwork he’d find that this question and all his others would be answered. This fee does NOT replace the carpet cleaning he is expected to do.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
Why do you think carpet only lasts a year? What are you doing to it to ruin it that fast? You’re so defensive and nasty to everyone who replies if they don’t say what you want to hear.
This we agree on... carpet, even cheap carpet, can last a long time with proper care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting