Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm with you. Frankly, if I knew I had to go through that I'd have one of the "younger members" of my extended family, notably one on the West Coast, get me a little "painkiller" in advance. (BTW, my kids's births were without sedation of any kind, don't know how I did it).

NEG, both of my kids were born without any kind of sedation as well -- but that was 45 years ago and my body (and mind) could handle pain better. The years since then have softened me considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
My thoughts exactly! I've had cortisone injections into my shoulders and that was bad enough. I can't even imagine this. You are one tough lady!

OMG. I, too, have had cocktail injections (cortisone and some kind of painkiller) into the side of my knee and my shoulder. I almost came off the table when the doc gave me that shot in my knee. That was the closest I've ever come to hitting someone in my long life (and I raised two teenage girls so you know I had plenty of other chances).

Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 AM

45 posts, read 70,587 times
Oh, TRosa, I'm so sorry you went through that.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Folks.. please lets stay on topic. The OP asked for your help on loneliness.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I lost my DH in 03 and in 04 was offered (twist arm here) to retire from the job I loved. In 05, I moved to a new town to be near my daughter. As many have stated I rarely see her since she works and has her own family to care for. She does call but I had thought it would be different than it is.

I had no friends and knew no one in this little town. I met one lady at WalMart who told me about a volunteer opportunity at her church. One day a month and that set the stage for meeting other ppl. I filled my home with rescued dogs/cats but realized that even though they bring me joy and love I still needed human contact.

I quit taking my anti depressant and that made things worse. Back on anti depressants and got out of the house to meet others. I have a few friends now and while I live alone (sort of) I am not lonely. If you are not on anti depressants I suggest you talk to your doctor to see if it is possible you are depressed. Not wanting to leave the house was my biggest problem.

I read the book 'Grief Recovery' and it is for death and divorce. I think it helped me a lot.

I would also think about a 55+ community. They have activities for their residents usually and it is a good way to meet ppl.

I think most of here can relate in some way to how you feel.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Feeling really tired, but wanted to thank you all for the comments.

Here's a better look at the procedure. Here's the thing, on my previous visit, I didn't quite listen as the mention of needles I start to tune out. The doctor told me I was going to have four injections along each side of my spine, what I heard was I was going to come in for four seperate visits for four seperate injections. I didn't realize I was going to have four injection needle on both sides of my body equaling a total of eight injections that one visit. After looking at this guy, I think, maybe I handled it better than I thought.

Painful Injections - YouTube

the following will be what I'm having March 1.

Epidural steroid injection - YouTube

Texasfirewheel, I'm trying to find a decent nerve conduction study video, when I do, I'll post it.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
My apologies to the OP, if my post are too far off topic, I didn't see the mod's note till after I posted that last bit. I won't be offended if my post are removed.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
My apologies to the OP, if my post are too far off topic, I didn't see the mod's note till after I posted that last bit. I won't be offended if my post are removed.

TRosa, I think knowing that you went through that procedure all alone, with no one to offer emotional support or physical support (in the form of a ride), is applicable to this thread.

I sent you a DM, requesting that you furnish the NCS video, if you can find one, to me in a DM.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 AM

I agree it is applicable but other posts with bickering are not. I know where I live there are organizations that have folks who will help out senior citizens in these circumstances. I am lucky to have my daughter and some good friends close by but you know I still hate to ask them for help. It was easier when my DH was alive..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I know it really helped me a lot having my wife with me thru my hip replacement and rotator cuff surgeries and rehab. She only was able to take a week off of work for each, but was home every night to help me out. She would take me to rehab (exercise) in the morning and bring me home before she went to work. Even though her mother and sister were available during her two surgeries, one outpatient and the other a few days hospital stay, I was there with her to take care of her.

I remember in early 90's, when I cracked my clavical bone (neck) from a motorcycle accident, I was alone, with a sling on..........that was pretty terrible. I had nobody to help me in any way........take a shower, cook, etc.

As for the lady dealing with the cortisone shot: When I found out that the cartilage in my hip was all but gone (bone-on-bone), my orth doctor suggested the cortisone shot, of which was painful doing and didn't work. Hip replacement surgery or "live with" a limp and pain forever. Chose hip replacement and glad I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement