Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 PM

399 posts, read 700,898 times

Advertisements

My oral surgeon said I should take my teeth to my grave. So far so good. I may need a crown or two but I hope that will be it.
Yes, beware of dentists who try to up sell you. Get a second opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
30 MBPS Internet only is $69 a month. I mainly watch Showtime, HBO, the networks and PBS and TMC channels. I'll have to see what they cost using the Roku. Thanks.

One other thing. Everything we watch is usually time delayed and recorded to watch later. Is there this type of dvr capability with Roku?
The various streaming packages have Dvr options and they all differ depending on the service ..i bekeive you will find YouTube TV, Philo or one of the others fit your needs . Hbo now costs 15 a month anx you have their entire catalog plus live ..Showtime is less
Look around the internet at various cord cutter sites and you will be surprised what you can find and costs compared to what you pay now. But cord cutting isnt for everyone either

Old 07-24-2019, 05:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
The various streaming packages have Dvr options and they all differ depending on the service ..i bekeive you will find YouTube TV, Philo or one of the others fit your needs . Hbo now costs 15 a month anx you have their entire catalog plus live ..Showtime is less
Look around the internet at various cord cutter sites and you will be surprised what you can find and costs compared to what you pay now. But cord cutting isnt for everyone either

Old 07-24-2019, 05:26 PM

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-...g-2019-update/

All these streaming services have free trials and no contracts

Just an example of what you can do ....All these below would be 76.00 a month

Hbo now is 14.99 a month
Showtime anytime is 10.99
https://www.sho.com/stream-showtime?...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heres youtubetvis 49.99 a month with a cloud based DVR
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gcli...SAAEgLtvfD_BwE

Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Thank you.
Your very welcome

Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Cable for TV , outrageous, so I got rid of them. Also food, going up steadily at the grocery but can't do a thing about that.
Yes, you can. Buy in bulk and freeze/preserve.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, you can. Buy in bulk and freeze/preserve.
Indeed. Watch the sale pages on Wednesday and when you see chicken on sale in family pack go buy it and individually wrap in freezer wrap to store and pull out as needed. Same with other meats, at least once a month something was at insane prices.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 AM

30 posts, read 14,827 times
Another vote for dental costs. Recently had an abscessed back molar which required a root canal and crown. That was $3,000. Will be adding dental insurance at the next open season.

I notice food prices keep creeping up and up. We do have a freezer, so we watch for sales, buy in bulk, and stock up.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:42 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Is he sure that he wants to introduce that much moisture into the garage area? It will probably cause things to rust unless you use it with a window open a few inches.
My comment is a bit OT here, but if it saves one big mistake and wasted money it might be OK. People new to the desert SW are typically clueless about evap (aka swamp) coolers. Yes they are an inexpensive way to cool the air in a dwelling, BUT only when the dew point is less than 60F. Use an evap cooler during the monsoon months and as you said the result is typically a soggy, damp climate that encourages mold and rust.

Installing a super-efficiency ductless air conditioner in the garage might be a better option.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Okay, this might illustrate my utter stupidity about such matters, but I completely forgot and didn't account for the fact that if your income exceeds your deductions (stand or otherwise), you will have to pay income taxes. That can be a HUGE budget item for some people!

(That also will lead us, I think, to live off our personal retirement savings first and then delay getting my husband's Social Security as long as possible. If anyone thinks this is a bad strategy, please let me know!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement