Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:56 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times

Advertisements

Right now - water, power and gas are surprisingly EXACTLY THE SAME. We moved from Utah to California for retirement. It took some creativity - our power bills are based on time of use so we power the electric car at night and do our laundry - either very early morning or when we go to bed. We no longer have a lawn so the savings in watering are huge. Also no longer have AC. There is no need. While the rest of the country is burning up - we are daily at 75 degrees.

Gas prices are higher - but we drive an electric car - so we save bigly.

Haircuts. When working I would get my haircut every 5-6 weeks. Stylist charged $50 and I tipped $5. Found a REALLY good stylist here and everything is ala crate. Shampoo $5 and haircuts $25. I was gobsmacked that California would be cheaper. So yah - I am still scheduling my cuts (my hair is thick so I have to cut it or I go crazy) every 5-6 weeks.

I take fewer showers. Showered every day when working - now every 2-3 days. Savings in water and hair products.

Gym Membership. I am in a Medicare Advantage Plan that was founded by a local group of physicians and based in the local hospital system (not Kaiser). I paid about $120 a year membership for my county rec center in Utah - and that was the senior discount. With this new plan - and they have their own gym which is stellar - great workout equipment and a pool - $25 A YEAR.

Healthcare - it will be awhile (1 year and 9 months) before my spouse is on Medicare..... but the local plan is excellent. And yesterday they told me they will “reward” good behavior - so they are sending me $25 for having an annual checkup. I think there also will be rewards for working out every other day......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,100,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, this might illustrate my utter stupidity about such matters, but I completely forgot and didn't account for the fact that if your income exceeds your deductions (stand or otherwise), you will have to pay income taxes. That can be a HUGE budget item for some people!

(That also will lead us, I think, to live off our personal retirement savings first and then delay getting my husband's Social Security as long as possible. If anyone thinks this is a bad strategy, please let me know!)
I think the differentiator is “savings” versus investments. The common wisdom is to not use investments for living expenses at the start of retirement because every dollar spent reduces potential future capital gains and dividends. It’s a complicated problem and each situation is different.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 2,477 times
I think the average healthy 65-year-old couple today will spend a $400,000 or more on medical costs in retirement & Healthcare is among one of the main expense with a higher chances to go up rather than down in retirement.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesmithusa View Post
I think the average healthy 65-year-old couple today will spend a $400,000 or more on medical costs in retirement & Healthcare is among one of the main expense with a higher chances to go up rather than down in retirement.

I think the average is lower - like $285,000

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...lth-care-costs

Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I think the average is lower - like $285,000

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...lth-care-costs
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but if you sign up for Plan G Supplement insurance and the Prescription Drugs Supplement, wouldn't that take care of all costs except ALF/nursing home costs and dental?

Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 AM
mlb

I thing when assisted living and nursing home care costs kick in - you’re screwed.

At end of life - particularly the last 2 years - my mother’s costs were upward of $12K a year....not covered by Medicare.

She had nothing left. We squeaked by and avoided having to apply for Medicaid for her.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Eating out - we ate out a lot before retirement, after retirement we did eat out but about 50%, now after 3 years, we’re don't eat out as much. Maybe one or twice a week, it’s not the money, it’s eating healthy.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
$700 tooth crown yesterday for me. I looked at it like a car repair --- don't have a lot of those anymore thankfully......thankfully I can afford it.
$700? Crowns around here (all types) are about $1200. Where do you live? Or was that done at a dental school training program, where sometimes discounts are offered.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I thing when assisted living and nursing home care costs kick in - you’re screwed.

At end of life - particularly the last 2 years - my mother’s costs were upward of $12K a year....not covered by Medicare.

She had nothing left. We squeaked by and avoided having to apply for Medicaid for her.
$12k actually sounds pretty cheap. My friends have parents in assisted living to the tune of $4k per month, and it's nothing fancy, very basic (SE Michigan).

Old 07-25-2019, 02:22 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
$700? Crowns around here (all types) are about $1200. Where do you live? Or was that done at a dental school training program, where sometimes discounts are offered.
Florida. I have dental insurance, that was my share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement