Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
$700? Crowns around here (all types) are about $1200. Where do you live? Or was that done at a dental school training program, where sometimes discounts are offered.

I just paid $1600 for one.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Cable TV! My neighbor has one of these flat antenna's on top of her TV, she showed me all the channels she gets for free, excellent reception, so I'm following suit! I don't watch TV anyway, it's for my roommate who like a couple of Spanish TV channels. Good-bye to Direct TV. Monthly bill now: $0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 05:37 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
RE Dental Insurance

Consumers Checkbook, among others, have analyzed dental plans and found that unless your employer subsidizes the plan, they don't make financial sense. Largely, this is because they cover the small expenses well, often at 100%, and the big expenses less generously, often 50% of an allowable charge, which is often less than the preveling charges. This is the opposite of most insurance we folks carry, where, through a deductible, we pay for the small stuff while the insurance covers the big stuff.

Other plans have networks limited to dentists "willing to work for less", since the plan reimbursement rates are not very generous. In some areas, it can be hard to find a dentist who takes the plan.
This is very true. I cannot remember the details (which I know are important lol) but we bought a very inexpensive plan where dentists in network charge US what the insurance company would agree to. In other words for example, if a cleaning is $100 but they settle to the insurance company for $29, the plan we have has the dentist accepting $29 from us for payment in full.
Depending on where you are located, there can be a decent assortment of dentists or not.
It's not great, but it is a help.
Yes and the other wildcard for budgeting is cable.cellphone plans.
I know I am always amazed at how much that costs monthly (and we pretty much have basic cable and internet. oh and we still keep our landline -Well, yes Verizon Fios) and our cellphones

Old 07-26-2019, 05:57 AM

167 posts, read 162,649 times
My dog. He went from $ 300 a month to over $ 650 per month.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
My electric bill. I had a duct-free mini-split put into my house and the savings is remarkable.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
(snip)

One other factor I noticed, although this applied to a "frill"- we did a lot of traveling. As DH got older and had less stamina and developed a balance problem, our travel got more expensive. Instead of taking public transportation to and from the airport (which inevitably involved a change of train or bus and at least one flight of stairs, dragging our bags with us), we'd get a private car. We'd stay closer to the city center so that there wasn't a lot of walking to get where we were going, and get a room big enough that DH had space to relax at the end of a day of sightseeing while I went out for a run or maybe on an expedition too strenuous for him. And then he said he didn't think he wanted to fly Coach on long-hauls anymore. Well, he was over 70, 6'2" and had a creaky back. Between judicious use of FF miles and cutting back to one major trip a year from two, we made that change.

DH is gone now and I still fly Business Class on long-hauls. And I have none of his excuses.
I agree. Since I started to need a walker during traveling there are a lot more expenses than when I was healthier.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:40 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Cable TV!
Yep! No cable for me. And I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

I loved just a view channels: HGTV, Bravo, some Food Network, some Style! But I'm just not going to pay over $100 a month for TV. For me it's as simple as that. And I'm not into trying to figure out Hulu, Netflix, Amazon TV, Sling, Roku, etc. My antenna is a good one and gives me enough channels.

Sure I was mostly public TV, and nostalgia channels like Cozi, Antenna, Me TV, Grit, H&I Retro, Decades, etc. But there are plenty of other channels. I just don't choose to watch them. And I certainly don't miss 24 hour news channels and their doom and gloom, and political pundits and talk heads.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:24 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
We spend the same each month in retirement as we spent while working.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:57 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
House mt: it is KILLING me. Tree service is averaging about $2,000 annually and it never stops. But why should I complain: 2+ acres, 3910 sq ft house, pool, 600 sq ft guest cottage and so forth. None the less, it is still killing me. And, I have 2 ancient dobermans from doberman rescue who cost me, on a good month, an average of $600 for meds and food. But hey, like I keep telling the 'save your money for old age" folks, you can't take it with you. So happily, it is much fun to spend everything on the things that make me supremely happy.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:44 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Cable TV! My neighbor has one of these flat antenna's on top of her TV, she showed me all the channels she gets for free, excellent reception, so I'm following suit! I don't watch TV anyway, it's for my roommate who like a couple of Spanish TV channels. Good-bye to Direct TV. Monthly bill now: $0.
I would love to get rid of my $175 directv bill. However, I live in CA and want to watch the NE Patriots, so I’m stuck. I bet I could buy a ticket to their games for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement