Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 04:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:

What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?

Also, regarding produce and groceries washing, if you put the groceries away and don't touch them for at least 24 hours, wouldn't the virus (if it existed) die on its own?

Thanks for any answers to these questions!
I agree with you. I put my food away for 72 hours, so if there are virus, it’s been weaken. I think the transmission is from your hands touching other surface and then touch your face. I think there’s small risk of transmitting through produce. I wash hands more often and that’s it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 04:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Best thing for everyone is to start working on increasing your immune system. Nothing will help not even the vaccine. People with flushot still die of the flu so don't bet on the vaccine will be able to save everyone. By end of this year the virus will be infected on more than 50% of the population without a vaccine. It maybe better to get it when the weather is warmer so the virus doesn't incubate as quickly and allow your immune system to develop the antibodies quicker. Antibody allows the body to quickly identify the pathogen and swarm to it than play hide and seek with the virus.

Don't sit home and eat unnecessary calories, eat less and stay active.
Angela Markell went for pneumonia shot and now she has to quarantine because her doctor has it.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
My little community is doing things that might brighten someone's day, like drawing chalk messages and pictures on sidewalks, painting flowers on the outside of nursing home windows so the residents can see them from their rooms (these are fun activities that don't involve being close to other people), and putting Christmas lights back up.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:22 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Oh, I hear you! We have eight 12" x 12" x 12" boxes of junk mail and old receipts (like grocery store receipts!) to go through and sort. I started on the first box today, and I found junk mail going back to 2012!!

I am doing the same only in my case it is bank statements which I have found dating back to 2006! I started this BEFORE we were ordered to stay home.

The thing is, since we are retired, we pretty much stay home anyway. The only difference is that my cleaning lady is not coming every week and I'm not getting my weekly massage.

Cat

Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Oh, I hear you! We have eight 12" x 12" x 12" boxes of junk mail and old receipts (like grocery store receipts!) to go through and sort. I started on the first box today, and I found junk mail going back to 2012!!

I do get dressed every day, but it is very tempting to just stay in my pj's!! (My husband and I are self-isolating except for a once-a-week trip for groceries.)
If you don't mind my asking..why would you keep junk mail ?

Old 03-22-2020, 05:36 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you don't mind my asking..why would you keep junk mail ?
Because I was too busy or too lazy to deal with it at the time, as we sort it according to mail that might cause headaches if it were too fall into dishonest hands (such as offers for credit cards or home equity loans, old paystubs, etc.), and these boxes now also include very old bank statements and a "ton" of old mail order catalogs, like those from L.L.Bean. And it also includes a lot of waste 8 x 11 paper that is only printed on one side, which I use to print online recipes and things like that. So now we are sorting into "shred", "recycle, doesn't need shredding" and "reuse".

Good question, btw!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-22-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 05:42 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Because I was too busy or too lazy to deal with it at the time, as we sort it according to mail that might cause headaches if it were too fall into dishonest hands (such as offers for credit cards or home equity loans, old paystubs, etc.), and these boxes now also include very old bank statements and a "ton" of old mail order catalogs, like those from L.L.Bean. And it also includes a lot of waste 8 x 11 paper that is only printed on one side, which I use to print online recipes and things like that. So now we are sorting into "shred, "recycle, doesn't need shredding" and "reuse".

Good question, btw!
Only asked because my junk mail goes from the mailbox right into the garbage can.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:45 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
I've been washing my hands so much my fingerprints are wearing off.
I order my groceries & some other goods, online (about once a month) from the Walmart Superstore, about 30 mile away.
We are fortunate to live out in the country, on the side of a beautiful, forested mountain.
I do my chores & enjoy the peace & harmony of the day & critters around me.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:03 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:

What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?

Also, regarding produce and groceries washing, if you put the groceries away and don't touch them for at least 24 hours, wouldn't the virus (if it existed) die on its own?

Thanks for any answers to these questions!
I would suggest to rely on scientific data to decide how to best sanitize your home and items brought in from outside.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0320192755.htm

Quote:
The study suggests that people may acquire the coronavirus through the air and after touching contaminated objects. Scientists discovered the virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.
We wear gloves to handle our groceries and try not to touch (or use) new items after 3 days.

We wear gloves to get our mails, delivered boxes and wait 24 hours to open them.

If you are living by yourself and have been self-isolating with no visitors, I don't see a need of 'continuing' wiping surfaces. However, if you are living with other people, you have to take the incubation period for COVID-19 into consideration (i.e. keeping track of the last time you and other people were exposed to the 'outside' world.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175438.htm

Quote:
A new study calculates that the median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over 5 days and that 97.5% of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
It is during times like this when I realize how lonely life can be when you (me) live alone. Yes, have two grown kids, just not relationship with either. Occasional text from son, nothing from daughter.

I think I need to find something to keep my mind busy, some friendship for emotional support. Haven't had a lot of that in a long time.

Sorry, self-pity slipping through, but I will deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement