Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 08:25 AM

383 posts, read 665,149 times

Advertisements

We have no children and no family in the area that visits any longer. I always decorated for all the holidays but it seems silly now. Do you still decorate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 08:28 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I don't, but I miss doing it. It's so festive. Green and red are particularly pleasing at Christmastime. I miss having a tree and all the other trappings. Maybe again someday.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:41 AM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
That's my wife's dilemma. If people aren't visiting she doesn't decorate much. She doesn't want to toss the ornaments but she can't quite get motivated. We're in a new locale now so let's see.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:45 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Outside lights YES. Inside tree NO. Inside tchotchkes YES (including a 24 inch tree with billiard ball ornaments.)

DH is in charge of decorating the neighborhood poop stand area. Every year.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:53 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
No, not since Mom passed in 2007. Xmas day my brother and SIL come by, but that's it. Thanksgiving with Dad, just he and I. I'm just not into it. If my daughter and family came out here from CA, I would, but nobody wants to travel around the holidays, at least not me.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
We never decorated, as we don't observe holidays and such. We may do a token pumpkin or wreath, but that's it. Several of our retired neighbors have garages and attics full of carefully organized and labeled boxes and bins of holiday decorations, special plates and dishes, lights, flags, and more for every occasion. Their poor husbands are drafted to pack/unpack, and put up/take down these items. The only concession to age is that some hire people to deal with outside lights and ladders. Many don't have family locally, either. But it must give them joy, so good for them.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:10 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
No. I hate decorating for holidays and hate the job of putting the stuff away. I more or less stopped when my kids got older. I don't miss it!

Old 09-25-2022, 09:15 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
My wife enjoys the decorations so not much has changed in 40+ years. No family ever comes to visit us (our sons each live 4 hours away in opposite directions, my wife's four siblings are too cheap to buy gas to travel 100 miles, my younger sister is still obligated to provide holidays for her two grown daughters and their families, and my older sister died this year after nearly a decade of being an invalid) so this 'might' be the last year for full decoration.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
No, last year I realized that Christmas was over, probably for life now. I can't imagine any scenario in the future where I would decorate or have any reason to be festive. Those days are in the past, and I have some good memories to treasure.

Our last family Christmas party was in January of 2020 (we always waited until after the New Year for the family to get together. My mother would die two months later, but that day, all her living children, all her grandchildren, and all her great-grandchildren were present, and we had a wonderful time. Then Mom died, COVID hit, people have gotten sick and younger ones have moved far away. We will never all be together again.

My only child moved to a new city, and is building her own life. I don't discount that we might spend a Christmas together again in the future sometime, but it would likely consist of having a good dinner and watching true crime shows together.

I do miss decorating for Halloween, and if I find myself in a place again where there are children who might come by, I would definitely put out some decorations!

Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Now that we live in a smaller home in the south.....it really dosen`t feel like Christmas to me. We have been putting up our artificial tree, but it`s just not the same. My daughter visits for Christmas, she will come in and say " pretty tree", and then it`s done.
The timing of this thread though...is spot on. I was thinking this morning, of a way to decorate with all the sentimental ornaments, that we have had for years and years, without putting them on a tree. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement