Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,902,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
(I assembled a list of all the passwords that I use on a fairly regular basis....5 pages worth!!!)
Buy a password manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 08:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,902,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
by NAIVE SENIORS .
Naïve, not Naive.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:03 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,306,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I get tired of people saying a "fear of technology." It's not a fear when people see no use for it. I know many who are happy writing checks for their bills. I did talk one friend into online banking, and she was thrilled after she did.

I do not take my phone out of the car when I go somewhere so I won't attend anything without a paper ticket and I want a printed menu. I saw on the news that in Ohio starting October 1, they have to accept cash for tickets and concessions at high school events. What would I do with a phone at a game, dinner or concert? Take a selfie? I would never be so rude as to answer a phone when having dinner with someone.
oh wow - we are having a discussion about those darn high school football games. The school wants people to buy tickets using an app. Not everyone knows how to do it. Boycott - I say -

Old 09-20-2023, 09:05 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I had to go to the ER a few months ago. They did a lot of tests, scans etc.

Yes the info was online and they sent me an email, but when I left, they gave me a package with all the info in it. Pics of the scans etc. All the bloodwork info. Didn't have to read it online - I had a paper copy.
At our local ER if you walk in (as opposed to going via ambulance) you have to sign in at an electronic kiosk, give your personal information, reason for your visit and scan your ID. You then sit down and wait for them to call you.

It's not complicated but someone walking into the ER with a medical problem severe enough to warrant an emergency room visit might be caught off guard having to sign in that way if they're not used to it.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:27 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,420,545 times
Born in the middle 1930s I am what I call the "invisible generation".

I never used a computer at work, I retired 26 years ago. I have been a computer beginner for 20 years. I flinch when the word "update" appears on my screen. Updates are done by geeks, for geeks.

5 years ago my daughter bought me smartphone. No directions at all came with it. I rarely used it until my landline went away.

I wound up with a Seattle area code on the smartphone. I get spam/trash calls from out there. I'm in Florida.

I do not trust nor use online banking ever. That probably makes me a Luddite. I do believe that all cable providers SUCK!

The nice folks at the VA put an AP on my phone that enables me to adjust my hearing aids, and it is simple. Use it every day.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:32 AM

8,801 posts, read 5,104,195 times
I feel bad for the seniors who are not able to get internet coupons to use at the grocery stores. Why should they miss out on the savings. Also, at my local grocery store, they did away with those machines at the end of some isles that would tell you the price of something that was not marked, or didn`t even have a tag for it. I asked the store manager about it, and he said, you need to get the app on your phone, to scan the price. I said, isn`t it your job, to tell me the price? He just walked away.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:14 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
I'm surprised it's not MORE than half in both places, and I'm one of them. You're not born knowing these things (well, I guess children today are since even babies use tablets), and I've found it nearly impossible to find anyone to help me learn...

No, they don't offer help at my library OR senior center. And I don't have any "young people" I can ask, not that they'd have the patience to help me if I did!

Old 09-21-2023, 06:01 AM

1,115 posts, read 661,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm surprised it's not MORE than half in both places, and I'm one of them. You're not born knowing these things (well, I guess children today are since even babies use tablets), and I've found it nearly impossible to find anyone to help me learn...

No, they don't offer help at my library OR senior center. And I don't have any "young people" I can ask, not that they'd have the patience to help me if I did!
Relying on other people to teach me isn't how I learn. As stated earlier, free how-to videos (mostly on YouTube).

Old 09-21-2023, 06:03 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,077,267 times
I know an older woman who is around 80 and doesn't know how to text on her smartphone or access her voicemail, also doesn't know how to use her computer except maybe very simple browsing. She cannot do email or minor troubleshooting. She didn't use a computer on her job and has been retired for over 20 years.

I know 2 men in their 60's who are not able to text or use a smartphone but can do simple computer stuff.

The reluctance to learn texting blows my mind. Most of my friends and I do not spend gobs of time talking on the phone and simply text each other, so those who don't know how to text are cutting off a means of communication.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:29 AM

15,004 posts, read 12,212,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I get frustrated at restaurants and other places that don't have at least a few printed menus but insist that you scan a QR code and read the menu on your phone. Seriously, that's a pain in the butt, and is just far beyond what some seniors can do. Some don't even have smart phones, so how are they supposed to order?
I'm an internet-saavy boomer, have used it for years, including its use for a "side gig" I have had for years as a medical editor for a medical continuing education company. And I have a smart phone, but I don't use all its applications, as I find viewing material on a small screen hard on my old eyes, and printing on a tiny keyboard awkward at times. I'd be very annoyed at being told I had to view a menu on my phone at a restaurant in lieu of a printed menu, and I'd probably get up and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement