Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times

Advertisements

quote: "Holly, move on. It's a battle of wits and your opponents are unarmed."

Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,408 times
Quote:
Rnr is correct, Rhode Island is listed between 15 and 20th in median income. But he fails to state how high the expenses are in this state, nullifying that position as a positive
I didn't hear a rebuttal to that statement.

I enjoy how Rnr always comes to the rescue of Holly...you two girls should do lunch.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 17,038 times
Default researching locations

Yes, we are seriously considering moving out of state. I would like Arizona/New Mexico or California but we already have friends/relatives in Florida so that may be where we head next. I like RI and Massachusetts - there are so many things to do & see, would probably never get the chance to do everything. However housing & the cost of living are just prohibitive here. We are looking forward to a change of pace.

It's true though that every state seems to be having financial issues. It's a different world out there and I believe we are in the midst of something more than an economic down cycle.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
This is a classic example of what I am talking about though. If you say that, it still does not prove that "Cranston is one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island."

Sorry, no case to be made there. (And I know you're not making it, but don't encourage the dittoheads.)

Check the front page of the Providence Journal this morning, if you don't believe Cranston is going down the tubes. Here you go, read the whole article, straight from the horse's mouth, Mayor of Cranston, Mr. Fung:

"New group to tackle R.I. pension mess"

Then, in typical Providence Journal "double speak", the article just below says this:

Finance chair: State going in right direction

Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Wow. You just keep coming back for more doncha?

The article says Cranston has a pension mess like almost every other burg in this State. (And many across the Nation.)

How in the World does that distinguish it as "one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island."?

Answer: It doesn't.

And just to save you time, I read Projo every day.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM

http://http://www.cnbc.com/id/31926716/31392646 (broken link)
CNBC is certainly not right wing, RI's economy is listed as one of the worst in the Country.
As I keep stating... RI has no where to go to increase revenue, they already have a very high cost of living as it is. It's already listed as one of the worst places to do business in the country every year. What this equates to, is yes there are other cities and states that are in trouble, but RI is one of the worst of the lot.
Now... is Cranston one of the most "impoverished cities in the state"...I don't think it's impoverished as far as wages and living conditions go, but as far as pension liabilities it's top 3 or 4 in RI.
We have to stop splitting hairs and realize the realities of the condition our state is in. If you continue trying to tell everyone RI is not any worse than other states in the country, our legislators will start believing it, and keep buying votes, and giving pensions away as they have for the last 40 years.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Oh yeah...CNBC Is NEVER wrong. I remember right up before the economy crashed in '08 they were yelling "Buy Buy Buy!" And they also had that jackass who helped initiate the "Tea Party" movement with his little rant on the NYSE.

If CNBC is your economic compass, that explains quite a bit.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM

you are exposed...if the facts do not suit "your" view point they are bogus. Is that the way you generally see things? Face the facts...you are a left wing radical, with an inability to meet anywhere near the middle. All of this is based on your personal experiences and hangups.
Please show us facts, or a poll or a study, or any type of information, for that matter, that shows the state of Rhode Island as anything but what it is... a Union loving, tax and steal state, that is a miserable place to do business, with bad roads, and the highest paid firemen in the Country.
You think everyone who disagrees with YOU, is a Tea Party enthusiast.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
you are a left wing radical
If Rnrboy is a left wing radical then I'm the Pope.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,214 times
"However, just remember that an increase in property taxes would not be felt as much as in normal years because of the fact that property values have plummeted so precipitously."

A typical misunderstanding of property values. If there is no revaluation, your property value is completely irrelevant - the rate will adjust to deliver the needed tax levy. If there is a revaluation however, your property value is very important but only in relation to other people's values. If your value dropped LESS than someone else's, they could get lower taxes while your taxes could go UP. You can learn more at Property Tax Reform That Works For Everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island