Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,057,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I did NOT say it was "like" RI. My description was from a "frame of reference" viewpoint. The entire country is in a drought in several areas currently, and TX is dry and hot. 95 degrees in TX is not like 95 degrees in Rhody. If your frame of reference was FL for example, where the humidity is high, it would feel a lot different.

I'm just saying people need to open their minds to different places. In a perfect world, I'd be living in San Diego CA where the weather is probably the best in the entire country. If I were going for weather. But weather is not the only reason to relocate. Most people do it for a better lifestyle and affordability, different experiences, different culture, including job relocation and retirement.
I don't think the people east of Dallas/Fort Worth toward Louisiana and the Gulf Coast would classify themselves as hot and dry. One of the most humid areas in the country. Houston during most of the year is pure humidity. SA and Austin's 95-105 degrees is hot and hard to breathe in dry or otherwise. Obviously people choose to live there as they choose to live here. Whatever makes you tick. Also, as stated more than once, this is bible belt country and what church you belong to makes all the difference because of the distinct social structure here and in the rest of the South. Living in a big city does make a difference with its diversity. Get outside of these large cities into hill country or normal suburbia you could be ostrasized by not belonging to the right church or worse being other than "Christian".

I will agree with you that SD is the place to live. A trip to Rancho Bernardo for some great Mexican food and avoiding National City, a foreign country.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I don't think the people east of Dallas/Fort Worth toward Louisiana and the Gulf Coast would classify themselves as hot and dry. One of the most humid areas in the country. Houston during most of the year is pure humidity. SA and Austin's 95-105 degrees is hot and hard to breathe in dry or otherwise. Obviously people choose to live there as they choose to live here. Whatever makes you tick. Also, as stated more than once, this is bible belt country and what church you belong to makes all the difference because of the distinct social structure here and in the rest of the South. Living in a big city does make a difference with its diversity. Get outside of these large cities into hill country or normal suburbia you could be ostrasized by not belonging to the right church or worse being other than "Christian".

I will agree with you that SD is the place to live. A trip to Rancho Bernardo for some great Mexican food and avoiding National City, a foreign country.
Nothing wrong with living in the "bible belt". I've been living in the bible belt a long time now, and even as a R/Catholic, it's never been a problem. Same thing when I first moved down here, "do you have a church yet?". Think I was asked only maybe 3 times. Simple answer: "Thank you, yes I do". Most if not all of the Mexican agricultural workers here are R/Catholic too. In RI there is a RC church, or two, in every neighborhood. Here there is one every 20 miles or so. Surprise! I even go to the southern Baptist churches once in awhile, they have awesome music! and awesome food. It's all about attitude. Let's not get off topic.

Travel and relocation can be very educational, and learning, and getting to know people better, and how others live without being judgmental is a good thing.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,408 times
not every state is to everyone's liking, doing research is extremely important. You don't want to end up 50 miles outside a major city in Texas in an area you hate.

For me, day to day weather is one consideration. I like sunshine, bright dry weather. I understand in most states there is a bad with a good. For me, humidity draws bugs, mosquitos, etc. Winter cold and dampness is a messy drag. for me I enjoy evenings under the stars. So...When I investigate a state, I check how many days of sunshine per year it gets, is it a humid state? How much perception does it get, Is it a mostly safe area etc. It all depends on what you enjoy. I enjoy well maintained roads for driving on, and viewing, I don't like seeing, patch on top of patch, on top of patch and so on. I like right to work states. etc. Do your home work, and VISIT a few times during the year, and you will minimize mistakes.

We should start a thread on this sight and share our investigations about moving away from RI with each other. Leave your emotions out, just share your honest opinions.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Sounds good Rosco, but let's spell it "site" and not "sight" shall we?

Quilterchick- I lived well over 10 yrs in Austin. I can tell you those 200k houses are in far flung "developments", nowhere near the city center. 1200 sq ft "historic' houses (1920s or 30s) in convenient neighborhoods can go for 500K with 7-8K taxes. Why? because they are highly coveted due to the poor quality and inconvenience of the new homes.

A friend recently told me that my 450K plus or minus house on the East Side of Prov would be a million in a similar Austin neighborhood.

Like RNR & Runaway Jim keep saying, quality of life for most is paramount. Can you live a cheaper lifestyle elsewhere- of course!!! It comes down to what works best for the individual and what they want out of a area or neighborhood. We don't all want or need the same things. I am happy for Sweetpea in western NY- she has found a better solution for her needs.

In terms of needs, for example, inland by 1 hour or more is out for me, I love proximity to salt water.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
I am referring to homes in the hill country... not Austin proper. If you recall how large the hill country is in TX, you may want to edit your response.

The Hill Country begins just north of Austin, continues south to San Antonio, and sweeps west some 200 miles (322 kilometers) before the land begins to flatten out. There are many towns in the Hill Country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_H...s_Hill_Country

A 200 mile stretch will put you in NY state from RI. Or most anywhere else in a wide area of New England! RI'ers tend to base their opinions for example on "NY" means NY City. "NC" means Charlotte or Raleigh. "Western NC" equates to "backwards rednecks". LOL! They are not interested to admit how truly large and often how cosmopolitan the rest of the states are.

And, anywhere near the ocean is going to be humid.

Roscoe is 100% correct about an even keeled discussion w/o barbs and jabs and bragging rights. Oh yes, and the spelling police can take a hiatus.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Thank you Holly...you are good for something.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 AM

quote: "RI'ers tend to base their opinions for example on "NY" means NY City. "NC" means Charlotte or Raleigh. "Western NC" equates to "backwards rednecks". LOL! They are not interested to admit how truly large and often how cosmopolitan the rest of the states are. "

Barbs and jabs??? I guess it's OK for Quilterchick to tar RI'ers with the same brush-eh????? I'd put my cosmopolitanism up against yours any day. Every state has rural areas that are cheaper to live in than cities- even RI. No one is arguing that.

And who's arguing that RI is not small? One of its oft reiterated advantages is that it is so close and convenient to so many other cosmopolitan areas. Try doing that in central Texas 200 miles out.

And thank you Rosco- I try to be useful.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Wow, Holly is... shall we say "well off" a 450,000 dollar home on the East Side. "Old" family money I take it.
I'll bet you don't have to grind to pay those incredibly high taxes. (no no only kidding around.) but seriously, 450K on the East Side of RI doesn't buy you much.

But, you did make a good point...for you proximity to salt water is important. To someone else a certain type of weather is. For someone else snow may be desirable. A friend of mine loves to ride his bicycle everywhere, proper roads and weather are "it" for him, he just relocated to North Carolina...he loves it...is it perfect... I'll bet not, but is it better, he thinks so. If he decides to visit this site (thanks Holly again) will, and should, he be attacked as anti RI? or not properly liberal shall we say? He has invited me and a few other friends to visit, I'll be sure to let everyone know the truth as I see it.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Holly, move on. It's a battle of wits and your opponents are unarmed. I already called them out on their flat out falsehoods and they didn't even try to dispute any of them.

I only bothered to check back in because I saw you posted haha

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Not old money at all! I wish!

We worked our way up the property ladder starting with a 2 family tenement and a down payment under 10K.

We also worked our way through undergrad and grad degrees to get professional jobs- zero family help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island