Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Wasn't so much about luck, but as rosco said...preparation. We've been researching a move out of RI for at least three years. Last year, my husband was offered a job in Rochester that is the same kind of work he was doing in RI and is doing for his new company here in Elmira.

We turned down that job offer because it was $4/hr less than he was making at the time AND, the family health plan was something like $800/month or some other outlandish figure.

We researched further and began to look at national and global companies that engage in the type of work my husband does (nothing special...he's a delivery driver of hazardous medical and industrial grade gasses...although it's certainly not a specialized field, there are few truck drivers that have the length of experience he has and it's one of those fields in which experience is highly valued). Anyways...we found a few national and global companies and began to watch their job openings, keeping an eye out for jobs in locales where we might like to permanently relocate. We were open to moving just about anywhere except the deep south and tornado alley.

Tennessee is a nice place to live...we did briefly consider openings there...but that whole "tornado alley" bit kind of scared us away...lol.

Anyways...the bottom line is that persistance pays off...but really, research and flexibility are key. It would be completely foolish to just blindly move and hope that you *might* be able to score a job in your field in your new location.

Exactly the right thing to do. We caution people not to go anywhere without a job, and to do some serious homework which you obviously did. Additionally, your husband has a "niche" job with experience that companies are looking for. That makes a huge difference. But the average person or family does not have too many options relocating on a wing and a prayer. The grass is not always greener, and many of us have had vast experience with relocation issues. It is always good to hear the success stories.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM

986 posts, read 2,335,018 times
I laugh at people who say the weather in Florida is nicer... So summers in the 90's with 90% humidity, daily thunderstorms that do little to cool it off, the threat (or worse) of hurricanes... what's nicer about that?

I'm actually looking to move to Vermont... but not because I can't stand RI. In fact, that's not true at all. I love Rhode Island. I love Providence. I hate the rat race of all of southern New England. I want to live in a place with fewer people that's closer to the things I enjoy doing (skiing, music, outdoor recreation).

The economy is not driving me out of RI. The crappy roads are not driving me out of RI. The people are not driving me out of RI. I love the community here. I love the compact size of the state. I love the accessibility to everything (except skiing, I need to be closer). I love Providence. Next to Burlington, it's my favorite city in New England.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Just upped your rep Runaway. We may not always agree on politics but you're dead on about the weather in FL!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
I'm encouraged by the changes that are lately taking place in the area and in the state. The Iway project has progressed amazingly, the old ramps are down, the city is vibrant and busy. Loads of people out, and of course Spring has been spectacular this year with all the rain.

Jim, one man's "rat race" is another man's excitement. But I can certainly understand if you want a more laid back atmosphere- though I must say that Burlington Vt, is far from my personal cup of tea- too impoverished too crunchy granola- however, good luck to you with your move.

It is gratifying to see that virtually every post from recent visitors to the RI area has raved about Providence. Check the posts- not one has said they didn't like it.

I am looking forward to Gina Raimondo addressing the pension crisis and getting it fixed. You can't get blood out of a stone. Angel Taveras is also a breathe of fresh air. Looks like the non profits will be upping their share of taxes. I'd like to be more encouraged about Chafee but that's another post. Overall, I think things are looking up and will get better.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'm encouraged by the changes that are lately taking place in the area and in the state. The Iway project has progressed amazingly, the old ramps are down, the city is vibrant and busy. Loads of people out, and of course Spring has been spectacular this year with all the rain.

Jim, one man's "rat race" is another man's excitement. But I can certainly understand if you want a more laid back atmosphere- though I must say that Burlington Vt, is far from my personal cup of tea- too impoverished too crunchy granola- however, good luck to you with your move.

It is gratifying to see that virtually every post from recent visitors to the RI area has raved about Providence. Check the posts- not one has said they didn't like it.

I am looking forward to Gina Raimondo addressing the pension crisis and getting it fixed. You can't get blood out of a stone. Angel Taveras is also a breathe of fresh air. Looks like the non profits will be upping their share of taxes. I'd like to be more encouraged about Chafee but that's another post. Overall, I think things are looking up and will get better.
Oh, I get excitement out of the city. I just hate that to get to quieter places from southern New England, you need to get beyond all the congestion that plagues CT, MA, RI, and NY. I don't mind driving an hour to get places, but an hour down here is a much shorter distance than an hour in northern New England. There's also all the people who don't know how to drive and just aren't polite all over southern New England. So that hour is also far more stressful. The only bad drivers and "jerks" I have encountered in northern New England had out of state plates. That's really my issue. There's also the fact that I can't walk to work and cross Smith Street without having people just drive right by me while I stand in the crosswalk and slowly start to cross the street. I'm getting ready to bring a bag of water balloons (or balloons filled with some sort of sticky liquid) and start tossing them at the cars that don't stop for me. Vigilante justice.

Also, as I said, I love RI and Providence. It's southern New England in general that annoys me. It's congestion where there shouldn't be any. I expect it in a city, which is why I walk and take the bus as much as possible. It's outside the city that drives me crazy. It doesn't even have to be slowing down traffic, just the fact that there are so many people on the road.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
You have spent time in Western Rhody I assume. You must have. I've spent days out there in the summer where there weren't cars for hours on end. Foster, Glocester, Hopkinton, Exeter etc.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
You have spent time in Western Rhody I assume. You must have. I've spent days out there in the summer where there weren't cars for hours on end. Foster, Glocester, Hopkinton, Exeter etc.
Yes, but that's only 15 minutes from congestion. It's also just as far from the mountains as Providence. The main reason is to be close to skiing. It costs me about $70 in gas alone just to go skiing for a weekend (next winter it'll be more if gas prices don't come down). Nevermind paying for lodging and lift tickets. If I lived up there, I could justify a season pass because i'd get a lot more ski days in.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 187,698 times
[quote=rosco917;19070056]Recently I returned from a two week stay in Arizona. I traveled all over the Scottsdale, Mesa, Fountain Hills, Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe areas.

Go visit in July or August--all of a sudden you will understand why a dry heat is no better than a muggy heat.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM

77 posts, read 187,698 times
Unfortunately, I will probably be moving from RI soon, but I have really learned to like it. I switched jobs and get to go to many of the open space areas that RI has and I think it is awesome. I love being able to drive 1/2 an hour and be in the farms of Tiverton, or 1 hour (on the train) and be in Boston, or either direction on the coast and not be in a crowd. I have learned the secret little beaches and the great places to eat. I love downtown and the different events they have all over the state. I think there is a sweet spot when you move somewhere--you might dislike it at first, but as long as you don't live in a cave and you explore the things that you like, you will start to like a place. I do think that sometimes people can be somewhere too long and be bored of it, but in RI, you have the opportunity to drive a few hours and be somewhere else. You don't get that in CO, AZ, NV, KS, ND.....etc, etc. etc. There you have to drive for 9-10 hours before you get anywhere--and then you really don't want to be there either!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
Go visit in July or August--all of a sudden you will understand why a dry heat is no better than a muggy heat.
Yup, 120° with 5-10% humidity is just as oppressing as 85° with 80-90% humidity... if not moreso. The difference is the in between periods, though I think I'd rather the 40-50% humidity during those times than the occasional 1%. You just can't breathe in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island