Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Does anyone retire to any state that has cold winters? I never hear about people retiring to NH, VT (ok, maybe VT for the way of life), ME, MN, MT, WA, CO, etc... No, they retire to the southeast or the southwest (AZ is the new FL).
It's the high cost of living Jim, people cannot afford to retire and live even on a decent pension plus soc. security in the northeast. Taxes, heat, utilities, auto insurance. The whole enchilada. Washington State and Colorado do not have the same kind of winters as the northeast, surprisingly enough, unless of course you live at 8,000 ft. above sea level.

People ask advice, they get honest advice, not just what they want to hear to be validated.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Generalizations. I know plenty of retired people living here and also people who retire up north. Depends on whether you like hot weather. Bulletin- some retirees actually do have money!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM

That's right ... and the folks who are smart, hang on to it; and do what is best for them. I'd rather spend my money on traveling the country and the world. It opens one's mind.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 AM

986 posts, read 2,335,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's right ... and the folks who are smart, hang on to it; and do what is best for them. I'd rather spend my money on traveling the country and the world. It opens one's mind.
Some people actually think the taxes are just the price to pay for living somewhere they really like...

Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Some people actually think [sacrificing something else to pay] the taxes are just the price to pay for living somewhere they really like...

Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM

I see what you did there... but you know what? I wouldn't give up what I have here to pay less taxes in the south. You know why? It's 90+ here. We have 2-3 days of it this week. We'll maybe have another week or 2 the whole summer with temps like that. What's it like in the south right now? 90+ for weeks on end. You can't pay me enough to live in that crap. It's 100% completely worth the extra taxes to have a MUCH better climate. Oh, and you can't ski in the south. Well, you can, but the ski areas in NC are pretty pathetic.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 143,784 times
QuilterChick, first off I am not a he, but a she. I have lived in Clyde, Marion and Woodfin, NC and was Camden, SC. I think after living here in NC for 10 years, I think I know what I am talking about. Most everyone has an a/c, I also work at Home Depot and within the last week have sold almost all of our a/c units. I have been in Asheville since 09.

Sure you can buy a doublewide moble home cheap, but the value will not increase on it for a resale. I took real estate class here in NC as well. I have 3 kids in school here, so I know about the schools. I have alsp done my reseach on where NC ranks as for education. I married a man who is born and rasied here in NC, so I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to the people here as well. Yes, South Asheville is high end, it's for the rich, downtown is pretty expenses as well.

As I stated in my other post I am from CT, not RI. While I lived in SC, I was 20 mintues east of Columbia. Camden is a small town that is either "old money" or poor.

How long have you lived in NC and SC to believe you know it all about these places.

AM I home sick, I sure am, but that is not why I want to leave NC.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM

QuilterChick has a problem with RI. She doesn't currently live here, so I take her opinion with a grain of salt.

I love it here, but yes, there are problems. However, the positive aspects far outweigh the negatives, at least in my life.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM

270 posts, read 733,029 times
[quote=RunawayJim;19506941 However, the positive aspects far outweigh the negatives, at least in my life.[/QUOTE]

For you perhaps...but for so many of us...RI's COL puts any positives too far out of reach.

It's a crime that a 1200 sq ft tiny bungalow should cost more than 200k. Yet that's pretty standard in good Old Rhody.

Too rich for our blood...and sadly, too rich for more and more middle class folks.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
For you perhaps...but for so many of us...RI's COL puts any positives too far out of reach.

It's a crime that a 1200 sq ft tiny bungalow should cost more than 200k. Yet that's pretty standard in good Old Rhody.

Too rich for our blood...and sadly, too rich for more and more middle class folks.
Where? In Providence a 1200 sq ft bungalow goes for $140k these days. I paid more than that for mine (prices were still dropping, and mine is 1500 sq ft) and I am squarely middle class, not upper middle class.

The cost of living here isn't really any different than the cost of living in MA or CT. So if you're comparing that (really, the only comparison for similar places to live), then I don't know where you get your data. NY and NJ are somewhat similar, but not quite.

You cannot compare the south to RI. It's apples and oranges. Unless the south starts having a 4 truly distinct seasons and no suburban sprawl, there's no comparison. And we all know neither of those things are going to happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island