Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times

Advertisements

Quite frankly Rosco, I would love to read some posts from you in your new state, going on about how wonderful and affordable your new life is. How can we miss you when you won't go away?

question: Why are RI'ers like rubber bands? Quilterchick?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM

270 posts, read 733,029 times
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure our RI rubberband succeeded in shooting us clear out of the state...and we aren't coming back. Couldn't afford to. I guess you could say our rubberband snapped...

Unfortunate really...RI really is a great little state.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Rnr is correct, Rhode Island is listed between 15 and 20th in median income. But he fails to state how high the expenses are in this state, nullifying that position as a positive.
It's very difficult to visit a different state, investigate property taxes in that peculiar state, and see how expensive property taxes are in Rhode Island, can't help but feel ripped off.

Why is it everyone compares RI to "down there" meaning Florida. There are other states that are beautiful, clean, fairly taxed, safe, (with weather you either like or dislike), out there to investigate.
If you enjoy RI, by all means, stay. Just don't battle everyone who disagrees with you.

I hear women who are abused by there husbands, think it's actually normal to be abused. They think that's what married life is like for everyone.

That about sums it up Roscoe. Rhode Island is simply not worth the price tag anymore.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Uuuuuuuummmmm....except...this is a gross over generalization and not necessarily accurate. At all.

We moved to upstate, western NY. We're buying a 3500 sq ft home with 3 acres. Our property taxes are just over 2k. There is not an additional fire tax. Nor additional car tax.

COL is MUCH less expensive here.

And my husband is making $1/hr less than he made in RI.

So yes, it can be done.
Yes, so youve said many times. I wouldn't live in western NY for all the tea in China, personally. Those Winters are way harsher than here, and much less to do.

Everyone has their own tastes. I'm glad you're happy where you are. How would you feel, however, if I went onto the "New York" messageboard and constantly complained over there?

You can check my post History, I don't do that - with any State. (And I've got my beef with quite a few.)

Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Quite frankly Rosco, I would love to read some posts from you in your new state, going on about how wonderful and affordable your new life is. How can we miss you when you won't go away?

question: Why are RI'ers like rubber bands? Quilterchick?
Well said Holly.

What the Rosco types don't get is that if I had read his posts 8 years ago, they may have scared me off from living here. And Florida is an apt comparison because many people "up here" idolize "down there".

But I would gladly compare Rhode Island to lots of places. I've been all over the country, and to much of Western Europe and Canada. I find most Rhode Islanders who hate it here have been very few places.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Yes, so youve said many times. I wouldn't live in western NY for all the tea in China, personally. Those Winters are way harsher than here, and much less to do.

Everyone has their own tastes. I'm glad you're happy where you are. How would you feel, however, if I went onto the "New York" messageboard and constantly complained over there?

You can check my post History, I don't do that - with any State. (And I've got my beef with quite a few.)
Lol! Ok...so western NY is a big place. Geographically, there's actually some dissent amongst NYers on just what exactly western NY is.

the comment on winters is laughable...unless you're thinking primarily of Buffalo...which certainly does get quite a bit of snow.

But we live about 3-4 hours from Buffalo. In the Finger Lakes region. If you look at city-data stats, the weather here is exactly the same as it is in RI, minus hurricanes. Same average temps, same average snowfall, same average rainfall.

Buffalo and Rochester see more snow only because of the lake. Their average temps are the same. And their snowfall is different...it generally snows a little at a time. That's not to say they don't get big storms...they most certainly do get some whoppers. But to say the weather here is way more harsh? Laughable.

Second point...I too have traveled a fair bit. Been to Europe, been to California, etc etc. I don't hate RI, just can't afford the COL there.

I think my posts in the RI forum have been fair. I'm not here to complain. But, when folks want to know the good and the bad, I'll tell it like it is.

I will absolutely agree with the statement that there's less to do here in western NY. There is. I mean, there's quite a bit to do...but not without driving a good bit of distance to do so.

It's a worthy sacrifice in our opinion. We can afford to do more here because we're paying less for housing.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Lol! Ok...so western NY is a big place. Geographically, there's actually some dissent amongst NYers on just what exactly western NY is.

the comment on winters is laughable...unless you're thinking primarily of Buffalo...which certainly does get quite a bit of snow.

But we live about 3-4 hours from Buffalo. In the Finger Lakes region. If you look at city-data stats, the weather here is exactly the same as it is in RI, minus hurricanes. Same average temps, same average snowfall, same average rainfall.

Buffalo and Rochester see more snow only because of the lake. Their average temps are the same. And their snowfall is different...it generally snows a little at a time. That's not to say they don't get big storms...they most certainly do get some whoppers. But to say the weather here is way more harsh? Laughable.

Second point...I too have traveled a fair bit. Been to Europe, been to California, etc etc. I don't hate RI, just can't afford the COL there.

I think my posts in the RI forum have been fair. I'm not here to complain. But, when folks want to know the good and the bad, I'll tell it like it is.

I will absolutely agree with the statement that there's less to do here in western NY. There is. I mean, there's quite a bit to do...but not without driving a good bit of distance to do so.

It's a worthy sacrifice in our opinion. We can afford to do more here because we're paying less for housing.
The only thing laughable is that you have moved (or are moving?) to a place where you are supposedly much happier, yet continue to post on this forum to put down the State you left. Just seems kind of irrational or bitter. I can't imagine going on the Florida forum and talking about how unhappy I am with the place. Sure I do it on here all the time, but that's very different in my view. I don't see it as productive to go to a state's messageboard I left just to harangue the reputation. (Even in, an albeit, more subtle and intelligent way. I absolutely don't count you among the peanut gallery here, please know.) I just don't understand your motives. Don't you have better things to do exploring your brand new state you're so excited to be in? I just don't get it.

But then, you did say there was much less to do in Western New York.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Like I said Rnr, I'm not here to down RI. But when asked, or when the discussion turns to the negatives of the state, sure, I'm going to throw my opinion in.

I'm not bitter towards RI at all. Have said as much several times. Sad that it's too costly to live there for quite a few folks.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
The only thing laughable is that you have moved (or are moving?) to a place where you are supposedly much happier, yet continue to post on this forum to put down the State you left. Just seems kind of irrational or bitter. I can't imagine going on the Florida forum and talking about how unhappy I am with the place. Sure I do it on here all the time, but that's very different in my view. I don't see it as productive to go to a state's messageboard I left just to harangue the reputation. (Even in, an albeit, more subtle and intelligent way. I absolutely don't count you among the peanut gallery here, please know.) I just don't understand your motives. Don't you have better things to do exploring your brand new state you're so excited to be in? I just don't get it.

But then, you did say there was much less to do in Western New York.

There is nothing laughable about someone expressing an opinion on a public forum; unless, of couse, people get some strange sense of hilarity by finding out that others don't see the world through the same light. Everyone has a different comfort zone, financially, weather-wise, activity-wise and employment related.

After living and working all my life in RI, except for NC the past several years, I can see a tremendous difference in attitude. People who stay in one place (not only RI) for their whole lives and don't experience other places with an open mind tend to be narrow minded, their world is very small, just like the smallest state in the Union. Maybe they see RI as a "cocoon" that they don't want to leave for one reason or another; maybe they are complacent doing the same things day in day out, never broadening their horizons, not even knowing what is out there. Not wanting to take a chance. Or, they do go to other places with that same narrow mindedness, and go to criticize because people in other places don't live the way they do, and of course, it's their way or the highway.

If I feel like moving to CA tomorrow, or FL tomorrow, or France or Italy next year .... and I can find a way to do it .... c'est la vie. It's none of anyone's business.

The problem with RI'ers is most of them cannot handle the slightest bit of unfavorable opinions formed by others that are there and want to get out, or by those who have moved already. There is plenty of criticism about RI right in the Providence Journal, daily. Those of us who have left, left for the same reason that it is not on the list of places we want to return to, except maybe to visit. For many reasons.

Maybe those who stay, have no choice, the have to stay for employment or other reasons that keep them there .... and the frustration is evident.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,408 times
well said Quilter...

Quote:
How can we miss you when you won't go away?
Holly...when I do leave I will continue to get "my" version of truth out, just for you!. People moving to Rhode Island have to know what they are heading into. Not just your version.

Also...When I move, is my business, I will then continue to, tell it like it is, not pretend to be in "love" my new home so I look like I'm never wrong. You will hear the pro's and con's of that state. If they begin to behave in an apathetic way, you and they will hear it.

In the mean time, "buckle up it's going to be a bumpy ride."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island