Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times

Advertisements

None of these points are unique to RI or to Cranston. There are for sale signs and poverty all over the US- we are in a major recession.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Your numbers may be correct to a very fine point ... because other than having had personal experience from living in Garden City for a long time, and as a Realtor in RI for several years, I can honestly say that the only places that are holding up your theory are Dean Estates and western Cranston where the income level is higher than average. The rest of Cranston is suffering and there are for sale signs all over Dean Estates.

It's all about the taxes and the BMW's; and a lot of those have been traded for Chevys.
You're obfuscating. "My' data (The Us Census Bureau's actually) shows that however way you wish to semantically quibble, the bottom line is Cranston is not one of the most impoverished cities in the state. Period. Keep your eye on the ball. Your original assertion was not that "people in Cranston are trading in BMWs for Chevys", or "darn, things sure have slid downhill in Cranston!" If it were you might have a point. (But as Holly has suggested, it would be relatively irrelevant)

So now that I've gotten you to rebut the Census statistics to make your extreme statement that, again, Cranston is "one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island" - I hope we can see who is actually debating with facts vs. fiction.

After all, I made a pretty benign statement which was "Uuumm...no it isn't." I didn't say "Cranston is the greatest place on Earth". Or "Cranston is the next Dhubai when it comes to affluence".

I simply said you were wrong. And you didn't like it. So we had to go through rhetorical pretzels for the next few posts instead of you just admitting it.

The End.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
You're obfuscating. "My' data (The Us Census Bureau's actually) shows that however way you wish to semantically quibble, the bottom line is Cranston is not one of the most impoverished cities in the state. Period. Keep your eye on the ball. Your original assertion was not that "people in Cranston are trading in BMWs for Chevys", or "darn, things sure have slid downhill in Cranston!" If it were you might have a point. (But as Holly has suggested, it would be relatively irrelevant)

So now that I've gotten you to rebut the Census statistics to make your extreme statement that, again, Cranston is "one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island" - I hope we can see who is actually debating with facts vs. fiction.

After all, I made a pretty benign statement which was "Uuumm...no it isn't." I didn't say "Cranston is the greatest place on Earth". Or "Cranston is the next Dhubai when it comes to affluence".

I simply said you were wrong. And you didn't like it. So we had to go through rhetorical pretzels for the next few posts instead of you just admitting it.

The End.

Since this thread is about those "strongly considering a move from RI", there is no reason to hijack the thread and go off topic by making all about Cranston. It's all about Rhode Island, so let the folks who are strongly considering moving have at it. Cranston is what it is.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:42 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
No, I'm sure it was very inconvenient for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 11,028 times
Default Tx

My husband is trying to get me to move to Texas...I have lived in RI all my life and I honestly don't think I can leave.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,408 times
Gopats...just a visit to the area your husband wants to relocate to can't hurt. i recently returned from Arizona, and came back with the pro's and con's, mostly pro's.
Get a good realtor to assist you with apartments, condo's or home sales. (You will probably see property tax are close to half of Rhode Island's.) Drive around... see the lay of the land, what the people are like, ask questions, you may find out you actually like everything about Texas.
...by the way, I'm also a RI lifer...

Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 12,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopats78 View Post
My husband is trying to get me to move to Texas...I have lived in RI all my life and I honestly don't think I can leave.
As a life-long Rhode Islander that has lived for the last 18 months in Texas, I can tell you to definitely visit before taking the plunge. Texas gets great PR regarding their job-creation numbers, cheap housing, etc. All I can say is there are definite sacrifices. The class of people is definitely lower. I don't know a more politically correct way of saying it. Homeless people on every street corner. Litter everywhere. There are multiple murders daily (in/around San Antonio) and it was a huge culture shock to me. They are ranked dead last in education spending per child and worst in number of high school dropouts. The houses are typically in cookie-cutter developments and stacked on top of each other. All of the growth has lead to horrendous traffic and sprawl unlike anything I've ever seen. It's just ugly. Probably one of the biggest issues for me is the lack of good food. There are almost no family owned restaurants (Chelo's, Greg's, Marchetti's, etc). It's just miles and miles of fast food and chains. Needless to say, I can't wait to come back to RI, even with all its flaws. I used to be a complainer like so many that frequent this forum, but my Texas experience has changed my perspective quite a bit. I leave next Monday and will be back in lil Rhody on July 1st

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,408 times
RhodyDerek...may I ask where in Texas did you moved to... so I can cross that one off the list.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM

23,622 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Honestly, I'm quite surprised to see data that says otherwise about Cranston. It doesn't seem as though the data really adds up with my experience of Cranston, anyways.

Then again, most of my experience with Cranston is in the lower income sections. I taught Kindergarten at a small private daycare/Kindergarten over near Gladstone. I have some family that live in one of those houses along 95.

And during my first pregnancy, I worked for Gateway Healthcare coordinating services for families with children with severe behavioral issues. Most of my clients were in Cranston. And of those, 95% of them were in the eastern part. The other 5% lived in the wealthy part of Cranston.

Anyways, just surprised to see stats like that.
Cranston has the wealthy rural western part and the poor "houses along I-95" but my experience is that the majority (and of those who live there) is "right in the middle". It's probably about as average as Rhode Island gets (maybe along with Warwick, Johnston, Coventry, etc.). It does have a history of bad management however.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM

23,622 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyDerek View Post
As a life-long Rhode Islander that has lived for the last 18 months in Texas, I can tell you to definitely visit before taking the plunge. Texas gets great PR regarding their job-creation numbers, cheap housing, etc. All I can say is there are definite sacrifices. The class of people is definitely lower. I don't know a more politically correct way of saying it. Homeless people on every street corner. Litter everywhere. There are multiple murders daily (in/around San Antonio) and it was a huge culture shock to me. They are ranked dead last in education spending per child and worst in number of high school dropouts. The houses are typically in cookie-cutter developments and stacked on top of each other. All of the growth has lead to horrendous traffic and sprawl unlike anything I've ever seen. It's just ugly. Probably one of the biggest issues for me is the lack of good food. There are almost no family owned restaurants (Chelo's, Greg's, Marchetti's, etc). It's just miles and miles of fast food and chains. Needless to say, I can't wait to come back to RI, even with all its flaws. I used to be a complainer like so many that frequent this forum, but my Texas experience has changed my perspective quite a bit. I leave next Monday and will be back in lil Rhody on July 1st
Very well said, that's my general impression of the sun belt (or" land of milk and honey" as they say). I simply could not be happy in a place like that no matter how cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island