Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times

Advertisements

I am actually thinking of getting a metal roof when I have to replace my current roof (likely within the next few years) ... I know they're expensive, but I would LOVE the sound of rain falling on it.

Then again, maybe I am weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 04:37 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
ducks and geese honking as they fly overhead.. the sound of fog horns in the bay on a foggy evening, seagulls squawking. Those are the sounds I love hearing.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:18 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
ducks and geese honking as they fly overhead.. the sound of fog horns in the bay on a foggy evening, seagulls squawking. Those are the sounds I love hearing.
Ooooo! Geese! I'm not quite on a flyway, and from time to time I'll hear a couple of them off course. Now I want to drive down to Wheeler Wildlife Refuge to enjoy that. (Personally though, I'm fine with ducks and geese not being on top of me. The ducks in Florida were poo machines, and hawks and ibis were more welcome.)

Fog horns. Really nice at about five miles. There is something film noire about that sound, like Bogart is going to come walking out of the mist and ask "Do you have a cigarette, friend?"

Old 10-30-2019, 05:30 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is something film noire about that sound, like Bogart is going to come walking out of the mist and ask "Do you have a cigarette, friend?"

When the leaves come off the trees in the Fall, at night I can often hear the freight train, down in the valley, when I'm coming up from the barn

The sound has its own mystery in the dark, in the distance----

Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times
I was recently in the south west and spent a few nights out in the desert. The silence was something else. I also remember the opposite. I was an engineer in the US Navy and I remember catching a nap next to the steam turbines going 10000 rpms. The heat, hum and vibrations would put you to sleep real fast. The huge emergency diesel generator was the same way. Both places required double hearing protection but you got used to it.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I was recently in the south west and spent a few nights out in the desert. The silence was something else. I also remember the opposite. I was an engineer in the US Navy and I remember catching a nap next to the steam turbines going 10000 rpms. The heat, hum and vibrations would put you to sleep real fast. The huge emergency diesel generator was the same way. Both places required double hearing protection but you got used to it.
I can appreciate this ^^^^ too

On a much smaller scale, I still have my '78 GMC with a '73 454, I found and we re-built for pulling my stock trailer full of horses up to the mountains on weekends. It has a "walk silent and carry a big stick" sort of rumble to it

I didn't want a radio because I wanted to hear that motor -- I wanted to hear it because I wanted to hear it and I wanted to hear it for any changes that might not be good while lugging up the mountain with horses

The old girl moved my horses clear across this U.S. twice, then semi-retired, as DH's F350 has AC

Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,820,539 times
CLICK BAIT.. you got me, you SOB!

Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
For the past two weeks, I've been listening to the sound of a rodent chewing a hole through to the house from the garage. I went down there and banged around with a stick, but it came back. Last night, the sound changed, to one of a rodent moving around inside my house. Right now, I wish I still had a cat living here.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:28 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
We once lived in a tin roofed house under the worlds biggest mango tree. We moved in at the tail end of mango season and moved out at the beginning of mango season, but when a mango would fall on that roof - BOOM! rumbly-rumbly-rumbly-SPLAT. They were little common mangos, too, not the big tasty ones.

Now, however, we have an avocado tree and a tin carport/workshop roof. In this case, the branches are closer to the roof so they don't fall as hard. We still hear a good solid 'THUMP', bumply, bumply, swish, thump as they fall off the tree, hit the roof, roll down and drop into the grass. Avocado season has just started so we will be listening for the thumping for awhile. These are lovely avocadoes, too, not sure what type they are, possibly sharwil, but Hawaii has about 200 different types of avocados. Most of them are about seven to ten times bigger than those little bitty Hass ones from mainland grocery stores so they make more noise when they roll off the roof.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I would be more than happy with an oak tree or a second pecan tree so our one tree would produce, but instead, we have a black walnut tree. Can't hear them hitting the roof but there are times when you need to be careful walking to the garage so you don't get hit in the head by a falling walnut. It don't feel good! Believe me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living